The Strandmok in suede versus the Strand in suede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Strandmok in suede versus the Strand in suede

How does this differ from a Strand in suede? I have the Strand in suede in snuff/medium reddish-brown. From what I can tell, the only obvious difference is the sole - the Strand used to have a topy/half sole, whereas the Strandmok is a Dainite sole. Is the Strandmok partially lined/unlined? Obviously, the color offerings also differ, but they could have introduced new colors for the Strand, too.

(With the leather options, the differences are more obvious, e.g. Strandmok uses pull-up leather and the like rather than calfskin, and the Strandmok has a reverse burnish).
    Last edited by srlclark; September 16, 2020, 05:12 PM.

it's funny because last few years now, about december or so i pull out my strandmoks and think about how useful they are.

but! mine are the original ones, (slightly burnished?) pull up leather upper, and red dainte sole.

They are kind of clunky when used as regular shoes, but what I really use them for is to be my salt/rain/ice/mud/snow boots. I can stand in deep puddles and as long as it doesn't go up past the laces, it's usually bone dry. The shoes even dry out way faster than a big tall boot can, so they're mold and mildew free, unlike plenty of my snow boots. These shoes are also easy to care for, i just hose them off and they're ready for action. they're like incredibly covert secret bad weather shoes. They are super nice for this purpose.

I have no idea however, how the suede would work on it? suede is a shitty thing to get dirty all the time. it's a literal sponge. Seems like it would be a completely different shoe! and all of my advice probably isn't worth shit to you :-D oh well.

If i, resident of New England, was buying something for winter fall and I knew i was going to get it dirty, i 1000% would not get suede. If i lived in a climate where things didn't really get dirty however, i might think about getting suede upper shoes, but would probably forgo the big clunky dainte sole entirely. Probably? Probably.

Last edited by evanparker; September 16, 2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

They sure don't look much different. But I think AE is only selling the Strandmok in suede right now.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...andmok&start=1

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...rd/SF6345.html
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
        I think AE is only selling the Strandmok in suede right now.

that isn't the case. they have strand mok in nearly a hundred sizes, and 10 different leathers. it's a strandmok parade!

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

that isn't the case. they have strand mok in nearly a hundred sizes, and 10 different leathers. it's a strandmok parade!
          Excuse my ambiguity. In other words, AE does not appear to be selling the Strand in suede right now--meaning that of the two models, only the Strandmok is available in suede. At least as far as I could find. Maybe they are available at shoebank?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

Excuse my ambiguity. In other words, AE does not appear to be selling the Strand in suede right now--meaning that of the two models, only the Strandmok is available in suede. At least as far as I could find. Maybe they are available at shoebank?
            You are correct; however, I own the Strand in suede. I raised the question just to query whether a Strandmok in suede, were I to buy one, would differ in any significant way from the Strand I own other than in terms of color (but that could happen were I to buy another suede Strand when it is next released) and sole (and they could in future release a suede Strand on a Dainite sole). I think the Strandmok might not be fully lined, but I'm not entirely sure. The product description makes it clear that it is at least partially lined. It also describes the Neumok as having a "Kudu Reverse smooth lining," and I'm fairly sure that the Neumok is not fully lined.

Comment

this picture shows where the lining stops.

Comment

Oh, those are good-looking shoes.

Comment

i like them too! i should get another pair lol

Comment

I have a pair of these shoes, only in blue. I really like them. Seeing yours here makes me think I could use another pair myself...

Comment

I always viewed the Standmok as a more jazzy version of the Strand, with its deviated stitching and contrasting sole. I also have the Strandmok in brown and in blue and they're still a couple of my favorites. I just haven't quite fallen in love with the suede version. I probably suddenly will when it's half the price

Comment

Just checked mine, I actually have dark brown suede strands with black dainite soles and I definitely think they look more understated and versatile than the strandmoks in the link. They are a darker shade of brown with quite dark sole edges, which lets me wear them more with jeans, chinos, or trousers. I do wear them in winter because of the dainite (as long as I don’t expect to walk through thick snow). Some of the nicer characteristics of the strand are nice but it depends on how you want to wear them. If you want dressier then stick with strands, or for more causal you can try strandmok

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the snuff suede Neumok: https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...rd/SF3347.html

Are they too casual for odd jacket and wool trousers?

Comment

Working...
                          X