Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoes with similar insole comfort like Johnston & Murphy, Florsheim, etc. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wearing AE Strands today for the first time in a long time (cause of the Covid). I had forgotten how comfortable they really are--probably the most comfortable shoes I own right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
      AE have ben the only comfortable dress shoes I've worn. It probably has to do with my B width feet, finally being in a shoe that fits. I'm an 11-11.5B and was often wearing a 9.5-10D! Not great.
      The only point of people bringing up AE shoe comfort is that they have such a wide variety of lasts, sizes, and widths, is that it is easier to find a shoe that fits you well. If you just order your sneaker size in a D width without regard to last, yeah, you may well not end up with comfortable shoes. If you get your proper size, with a last that matches your foot well, you can get good comfort.

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
        I have had, and still have several pair of Allen Edmonds, and I have to say, I've never found them to be comfortable. So much so, that I usually avoid wearing them.
        You're not alone. I have a pair of dressy AE in the closet for when I wear a suit, but I donated a couple of pairs to Goodwill after a few years--they just never got really comfortable for me. They're at the limit of my budget, though, so it's kind of hard to find alternatives, aside from more comfortable shoes that wear out very quickly.

Comment

I feel your pain. I struggle with plantar fasciitis and walking in leather soled dress shoes is pretty much out of the question. I'm fine wearing them around the office (not that I'm going into the office these days) but walking more than a few blocks in them is not ideal. One beef I have is the insoles of most higher end dress shoes are always either sewn or glued in. I wear orthotics and can't get a decent fit without pulling the original insole out of the shoe. I get sewing them in for shoes that are of traditional construction for people who really want a fully trad construction shoe. But glue? Why f'ing bother faking it with glue? You're really not fooling anyone and it screws over anyone that wants to put a more comfortable after-market insole in their shoes. I could wear a much wider range of dress shoe brands if they made the insoles removable.

That gripe out of my system, another highly comfortable brand for walking is Ecco. Whether they're up to snuff fashion-wise is debatable but they are undeniably comfortable. What I do is wear sneakers in the summer, a supportive pair of waterproof sneaker boots/hiking boots in inclement weather, form my commute, and leave my nice dress shoes in the office and change into them when I get there. I leave them in my file cabinet because who needs paper files anymore? My commute involves a 1.2 mile walk to the nearest metro station so my dress shoes last A LOT longer if I wear something else for that walk to the metro.

I also leave a couple suits at the office for inclement weather situations, also because I bike to work fairly regularly. It's 10 miles one way by bike (or 17 if I take the scenic route) so it's longer than I want to pedal in street clothes, which means I need to be able to change out of my bike clothes when I get to the office.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
            One beef I have is the insoles of most higher end dress shoes are always either sewn or glued in. I wear orthotics and can't get a decent fit without pulling the original insole out of the shoe. I get sewing them in for shoes that are of traditional construction for people who really want a fully trad construction shoe.
            I'm guessing you've already tried sizing up, but I thought that I would mention it. My best size is 12.5 and that is not easy to find. Depending on how a size 12 fits, sometimes I size up to a 13. A thin insole usually does the trick in making them fit. If you haven't tried that, maybe give it a try.

And while I wouldn't recommend paying full price for Wolf and Shepherd, they have a 35% to 50% off sale on some models right now and 20% off if you sign up for the mailing list. (not sure if they are stackable)

They are supremely comfortable for a dress shoe.

I think they are a good value in $150 to $200 price range. And they claim to be recraftable. Heck, they have some $369 Chukkas on sale right now for $125, and cap toe oxfords for $149.

https://wolfandshepherd.com/collections/sale

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
            X