Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoes with similar insole comfort like Johnston & Murphy, Florsheim, etc. ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoes with similar insole comfort like Johnston & Murphy, Florsheim, etc. ?

So what you will about the degrading quality of Johnston & Murphy (TrampolineĀ® insole) , Florsheim (Flexsole), etc. but I have always found them to be very comfortable (as a commuter who does a lot of walking). Are there any other brands that have comfortable insoles? I do have one pair of Allen Edmonds Road Warrior that is very comfortable but not the most stylish. My other AE shoes aren't the most comfortable. For now, I have been inserting orthotics in my dress shoes.

Wolf & Sheppard shoes live up to their advertising of being extremely comfortable. But for some reason, I wasn't very happy with them--I'm not sure why. The leather seemed cheap for the price maybe? I could never get them to take a good shine. Maybe corrected leather? I don't know. I donated them to Good Will after I got a replacement black wingtip--AE Jefferson II.

But I think they've lowered their prices.

And somebody else may like them--I don't know.

And they are really almost as comfortable as running shoes, but look like standard dress shoes--not "comfort" dress shoes. Head and shoulders about J&M Trampoline.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Yes, I just checked the prices. They are down to about $150-$225. Much lower than the $325 I paid.

I think they are a good buy at that price, if you don't care about getting a mirror gloss shine.

https://wolfandshepherd.com/collections/dress-shoes

Comment

Thursdays are the closest thing to what your describing that ive experienced while also being good year welted

Comment

As a former Chicago resident who's commute was a combination of public transit and a lot of walking in the weather, I can totally relate to your quest! If I may offer a piece of completely unsolicited advice/suggestion, what I ended up doing was leaving a couple of pairs of dress shoes at the office, and would wear athletic shoes or whatever's comfortable to and from the office. Saves on the wear to your nice dress shoes and if you ever need to run to catch a train you're good to go! I'd switch to some waterproof boots to deal with the snow in the winter months.

Having said that, I just got a pair of Blake McKay from DSW that are insanely comfortable, albeit a MAJOR step down from Allen Edmonds in terms of quality and price. I think I paid like 40 bucks or something and yes I know I'll be lucky if they last a year. I have also some Johnston and Murphy boots that are welted and resolable that are also very comfortable. Some may sneer at the quality, but I sure think they're nice. They were from a premium line of some sort, so perhaps it's just a matter of sorting through to find the "quality", but I wouldn't write off Johnston and Murphy or Florsheim for that matter.

(Alert: here comes an unpopular Dappered opinion) I have had, and still have several pair of Allen Edmonds, and I have to say, I've never found them to be comfortable. So much so, that I usually avoid wearing them. I've even been professionally fit to make sure it wasn't a size issue. Perhaps it's a mark of quality, but to me they are stiff and extremely heavy, even after break in. And with footwear, I really want them to be reasonably comfortable. I don't want to be thinking about how my feet and knees hurt all day. To me, shoes should be comfortable enough that you forget you're wearing them. I know, I know, they will last a lifetime and can be re-soled. But to me, then you've just got a lifetime of a heavy ass uncomfortable shoe! It's kind of interesting to me that there tends to be a spectrum where the higher the "quality" the less comfortable the shoe is? But to each their own!

I will sit back and brace myself for the flurry of blow-back that opinion will receive. In the meantime, I think my next pair of shoes will be from either Wold and Sheperd or Thursday based on the descriptions above.

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post

(Alert: here comes an unpopular Dappered opinion) I have had, and still have several pair of Allen Edmonds, and I have to say, I've never found them to be comfortable. So much so, that I usually avoid wearing them. I've even been professionally fit to make sure it wasn't a size issue. Perhaps it's a mark of quality, but to me they are stiff and extremely heavy, even after break in. And with footwear, I really want them to be reasonably comfortable. I don't want to be thinking about how my feet and knees hurt all day. To me, shoes should be comfortable enough that you forget you're wearing them. I know, I know, they will last a lifetime and can be re-soled. But to me, then you've just got a lifetime of a heavy ass uncomfortable shoe! It's kind of interesting to me that there tends to be a spectrum where the higher the "quality" the less comfortable the shoe is? But to each their own!
            That's really odd. I have several pairs of AE shoes in which I've walked a mile or two at a time and they have been reasonably comfortable and my Nomad Chukka boots approach Wolf & Shepard comfort (but not quite). I have a couple other AE pairs that have been too tight and those are not so comfortable for long walks. Also, for me, what is also odd is that I do have a pair of AE sneakers and those are the LEAST comfortable of my AE shoes.

I guess it comes down to each person's foot size, shape, arch, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

That's really odd. I have several pairs of AE shoes in which I've walked a mile or two at a time and they have been reasonably comfortable and my Nomad Chukka boots approach Wolf & Shepard comfort (but not quite). I have a couple other AE pairs that have been too tight and those are not so comfortable for long walks. Also, for me, what is also odd is that I do have a pair of AE sneakers and those are the LEAST comfortable of my AE shoes.

I guess it comes down to each person's foot size, shape, arch, etc.
              Totally agree. Comfort is subjective and everyone's foot is different!

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                As a former Chicago resident who's commute was a combination of public transit and a lot of walking in the weather, I can totally relate to your quest! If I may offer a piece of completely unsolicited advice/suggestion, what I ended up doing was leaving a couple of pairs of dress shoes at the office, and would wear athletic shoes or whatever's comfortable to and from the office. Saves on the wear to your nice dress shoes and if you ever need to run to catch a train you're good to go! I'd switch to some waterproof boots to deal with the snow in the winter months.

Having said that, I just got a pair of Blake McKay from DSW that are insanely comfortable, albeit a MAJOR step down from Allen Edmonds in terms of quality and price. I think I paid like 40 bucks or something and yes I know I'll be lucky if they last a year. I have also some Johnston and Murphy boots that are welted and resolable that are also very comfortable. Some may sneer at the quality, but I sure think they're nice. They were from a premium line of some sort, so perhaps it's just a matter of sorting through to find the "quality", but I wouldn't write off Johnston and Murphy or Florsheim for that matter.

I will sit back and brace myself for the flurry of blow-back that opinion will receive. In the meantime, I think my next pair of shoes will be from either Wold and Sheperd or Thursday based on the descriptions above.
                I think the big deal thing is that when it comes to dress shoes the fit (size and last) is the biggest deal in terms of comfort. Basically I think there's next to no relationship between quality and comfort, and at the extreme ends a $50 pair of sneakers will almost always be more comfortable than any dress shoe because of all the cushioning
                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Agree on fit being important. I have a fuller foot and have trouble fitting in Meermin (went in store and couldn't find a last that fit correctly, either foot couldn't really get in or it could get in, but too much heel slip), Beckett Simonon, and to an extent Taft.
                  My most comfortable dress casual shoes are Grant Stone. Have worn the boots for city walks of 25,000 steps and felt fine. Not the most stylish though, since they do have a wider toebox and are heavier.

Have heard good things about Cole Haan (have 1 pair of loafers, but kept them to wear around the office) and Ecco (have never tried).

Comment

CK83 Just give me a second here to log in the control panel and figure out how to ban you...

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      CK83 Just give me a second here to log in the control panel and figure out how to ban you...

I knew it! LOL

Comment

Banana Republic's shoes all have a really soft and comfy gel-style insole in them. If you don't know how BR pricing works, 40% off is a decent deal. Sometimes you can get a bigger discount if you watch the sales. By no means pay more than 30% off.

Warning with BR -- their suede shoes are fairly nice. Their leather shoes definitely look a bit cheaper.

Comment

Agreed. I have a couple pairs of BR Hinto plain toes and I wear them when my feet hurt and as beater shoes. They're pretty comfortable, but I bought a pair of AE McKenna for 90 bucks and they blow the BRs away

Comment

AE have ben the only comfortable dress shoes I've worn. It probably has to do with my B width feet, finally being in a shoe that fits. I'm an 11-11.5B and was often wearing a 9.5-10D! Not great.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
                              AE have ben the only comfortable dress shoes I've worn. It probably has to do with my B width feet, finally being in a shoe that fits. I'm an 11-11.5B and was often wearing a 9.5-10D! Not great.
                              And still on sale for only $130. I can't believe how AE has been giving away shoes lately.

Say what you will about the inconsistent quality of AE shows the last several years--$130 for an AE Good Year welted shoe is a steal. $ 90 is even way better!

Comment

Working...
                              X