Is the suit dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the suit dead?

Wanted to talk about this after seeing it on the main page. My short version is yes for the foreseeable future. After that maybe a comeback but I really think it matters if we ever go back to large offices and skyscraper settings again or are we going to be remote and Zoom forever. People will still buy them I can't see a real estate agents ever not needing jackets and suits.

Honestly, I feel the suit will go the way of the manual transmission.

for the next 20 or 30 years? probably yeah.

longer term who even knows.

I just bought a great 2020 car that is a sedan, with a manual transmission, and a nice suit this year too, so i may not even be in touch with anything cool anymore :-D

Comment

I still enjoy wearing suits (when the weather is cool enough). Maybe not with ties, but there were times where I would put on a suit to go to a museum (or night out at a show). Wouldn't want to wear everyday for work, but like finding excuses to wear every once in a while. https://dieworkwear.com/2020/08/23/t...f-distinction/

Comment

I am a lawyer and it is hard for me to imagine that suits will disappear in courtrooms in the near future. They could become an anachronistic uniform reserved for court, I suppose, much like wigs in the courts in the UK.

I still look forward to wearing suits for more formal events, but perhaps without a tie.

That said, I think the message a suit sends is changing, maybe slowly. I think it is starting to identify a person as a gatekeeper or mercenary for the 1%. That's not a message many of us want to convey. I think I posted an article about this awhile back--about how many of the CEOs of tech companies are eschewing suits for most occasions, even shareholder meetings.

Also, I almost jumped on one of the BB Golden Fleece suits at 70% off (a $2,000 suit for $450? wow!), but I figured, what's the point? I have four very nice suits and four others that are adequate. One of them has been hanging in the closet waiting for a trip to the tailor--it's a nice BB summer weight and color suit I picked up back in late February or early March and didn't have the opportunity to take it in--now, summer is coming to an end, I've put on 10 pounds, and what's the point of even that?

I probably will not have another in-person court appearance until sometime in 2021. We don't do video court appearances. Barring a moth attack, I have enough suits to last me at least three or four years--I can't see buying any in the near future.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

It seems like 99.9% of professions no longer consider the suit as standard dress code, but I believe it’s a long way from being “dead”. To me it’s become more of a special occasion/event outfit instead of a daily uniform.

I have a hard time believing it won’t remain to be the standard for formal, non-black tie events (weddings, dresses up holiday parties, etc.).

Comment

I've made this observation before, but fashion tends to retreat to the more formal traditions during times of economic uncertainty. The more people looking for jobs, the more employers can be selective, and thus the more ways employees will want to signal their dependability and attention to detail Similarly, nervous customers look for reassurance of dependability from businesses, and dress is a way of signaling that.

With how poorly the US has handled the pandemic and the resulting economic damage, the full employment that allowed for short skirts and man buns in relatively conservative workplaces has disappeared and isn't coming back soon.

The wildcard is, of course, remote work. Unlike prior economic upheavals it's a viable option for most white-collar occupations to avoid in-person work. Whether that overrides the need to project an image of stability remains to be seen, but I suspect two competing disruptions will mostly cancel each other out and we'll see the trends of the last few decades continue with (in)formal work wear slowly declining while holding on in customer-facing, high trust industries.
            Last edited by Galcobar; September 2, 2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Dead is a strong word, but I'll be wearing one even less than in the past. My wardrobe had to shift to a little more casual with remote work - I work in a business casual environment would "dressed up" more than most people in my office - jackets almost always and suits rarely but sometimes for "no reason". Both those things seem absurd working from home. Even when I get back to the office, the whole norm will have shifted more casual.

Comment

Dead? Probably for the majority of people. I’ve worn twice since March for interviews. I used to wear one 4-5 days a week. If I was in my old job going in during covid I wouldnt wear it.

I think the suit outside of work is mostly dead. Reasons to dress up: theater, nice dinner etc are not as common due to covid.

Comment

dead is a strong word... and i feel it would be exact opposite. when we do go out, i feel people would want to change and dress up
                  one thing when you have to do business casual etc to work each day.. you dont want to put on a suit... but when you were sitting in sweats all this time and finally see people... i feel i would see some nice 3 piece suits once my company reopens doors

Comment

I still wear them, even when it's not really necessary. Suits mean business.

Comment

All I know is that I have a presentation coming up next week with the mucky mucks at work. Even though the meeting/presentation is taking place over Zoom, I will be wearing a shirt and tie. Heck, I might even wear pants too!

Suits will always be required in some professions I think. Law and finance come immediately to my mind. Perhaps medical too. And honestly, I don't mind wearing a suit. Makes me feel like I'm getting my A game on.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        All I know is that I have a presentation coming up next week with the mucky mucks at work. Even though the meeting/presentation is taking place over Zoom, I will be wearing a shirt and tie. Heck, I might even wear pants too!

Suits will always be required in some professions I think. Law and finance come immediately to my mind. Perhaps medical too. And honestly, I don't mind wearing a suit. Makes me feel like I'm getting my A game on.
                        I agree for some professions, I was also thinking along more mainstream. It seems maybe 5-6 years ago (maybe due partly to shows like Boardwalk Empire, etc.) suits, pocket squares, etc. were surging in popularity and made their way more mainstream. Since then, and helped by COVID, I think we've seen a regression.

These days I cannot even think of a reason to wear one outside an important work call. I am not eating out at restaurants, I am not going to plays, etc. no company happy hours, etc. I may be the minority but I have a feeling that most aren't doing those things. And if they are, they aren't going to throw on a suit to go out. From what I've seen we keep transitioning into the bare minimum of clothing for public and not upgrading of our image. For now.

Comment

Dead? No way. Suits were around before the 1918 pandemic, and are still around today. I know it's different times and more casual in general, but they've been a mainstay for too long to completely go away. Also as Joe pointed out in the article, movies have a major impact on style and so long as they keep pumping them out with guys in sharp suits, people are going to buy and wear suits.

It's hard to imagine right now, but this pandemic is, one way or another, going to be temporary. And although it will have lasting impacts on remote work etc. I look forward to the day where it is a distant, albeit haunting memory.

It's been discussed in other posts, but it will be interesting to see how this event impacts dress. Sure right now everyone is casual at home. Everyone in the office is likely more casual than usual, just because there's fewer people in the office. But once this passes, and I mean actually passes, not pretend passes...eh better not stray into politics here...it will be interesting to see how it impacts dress norms. I could see it going either way. Either there will be a blowback, and people will dress formally after finally being able to get back to the office, or it will continue to drift more casual.

But you'll still need a suit as many have said, for court dates, interviews, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                            I am a lawyer and it is hard for me to imagine that suits will disappear in courtrooms in the near future. They could become an anachronistic uniform reserved for court, I suppose, much like wigs in the courts in the UK.

I still look forward to wearing suits for more formal events, but perhaps without a tie.

That said, I think the message a suit sends is changing, maybe slowly. I think it is starting to identify a person as a gatekeeper or mercenary for the 1%. That's not a message many of us want to convey. I think I posted an article about this awhile back--about how many of the CEOs of tech companies are eschewing suits for most occasions, even shareholder meetings.

Also, I almost jumped on one of the BB Golden Fleece suits at 70% off (a $2,000 suit for $450? wow!), but I figured, what's the point? I have four very nice suits and four others that are adequate. One of them has been hanging in the closet waiting for a trip to the tailor--it's a nice BB summer weight and color suit I picked up back in late February or early March and didn't have the opportunity to take it in--now, summer is coming to an end, I've put on 10 pounds, and what's the point of even that?

I probably will not have another in-person court appearance until sometime in 2021. We don't do video court appearances. Barring a moth attack, I have enough suits to last me at least three or four years--I can't see buying any in the near future.
                            Where are you located where you don't do video court appearances? I'm in Texas, and state courts switched over to zoom almost immediately. I've had a variety of state court hearings, both evidentiary and not, via zoom. They all went smoothly. Honestly, I can see minor hearings continuing to be handled this way in the future, as it saves everybody's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post

Where are you located where you don't do video court appearances? I'm in Texas, and state courts switched over to zoom almost immediately. I've had a variety of state court hearings, both evidentiary and not, via zoom. They all went smoothly. Honestly, I can see minor hearings continuing to be handled this way in the future, as it saves everybody's time.
                              Video is optional right now--we can do appearances by audio alone, which is what I prefer.

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                              X