Summer Fabrics in cooler temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Fabrics in cooler temps

Lately, I've accrued some summer weight fabrics (a few madras and linen shirts). I'm also thinking of picking up a linen cardigan as it starts to cool and I'd like to get a chambray tie. Does anyone where these items into the fall or winter, perhaps as a layering piece? Or do they just look off in other seasons because of the fabric?

I'd recommend getting as much wear out of them as you can, while it's still summer, and then look forward to wearing them again in the spring.

Comment

I think like anything else, it depends. I’ve got a dark navy linen shirt that I wouldn’t think twice about throwing on in the fall especially if layering. Probably wouldn’t try any linen resort wear in the fall, unless you’re at a resort.

The only thing about doing that though is falls a great time to wear all your fall clothes too, and you definitely can’t wear most of that in the spring or summer!

Comment

A lot of it depends on the climate where you live. In my opinion you could get away with it in places like Florida, Southwestern US, certain places in the Deep South, and other similar places. However, I think it would look a bit odd in any place where temps start dipping into the 50s, 40s, and below. I’m picturing someone showing up to Thanksgiving in a white linen shirt in my mind and it just seems very wrong.

I also agree with CK83. One of the best parts of fall is getting to start wearing your boots, jeans, flannels, sweaters, and etc again.

Comment

I'm kind of in the "it depends" camp. To me, wearing seersucker and madras feels weird in September and October, even if the temps are still up in the 90's (which does happen occasionally here in Virginia). Linen and chambray doesn't feel so weird and are my go-to in early fall. Maybe there's a color thing going on too. I like brighter, bolder colors in the summer, but fall back on earth tones in the...uh...fall. So the lighter fabrics in muted colors work for me in the Indian summer. For casual wear, its tough to beat t-shirt and jeans with some layering options to match the weather.

Comment

I'm fully in the 'summer fabrics are year-round', but I recognize that's entirely geographic. I live in Southern California, and as a result there are some days, even in December, where your choices are either Linen or Miserable.

Ironically, I've run into the opposite problem this summer. I worked in suiting pre-quarantine, and my wardrobe is now full of absolutely incredible tweed jackets from work, since I foolishly thought I could use the springtime to get my summer wardrobe in order. Now that I've been laid off since March, I've had to get real creative about decent summer looks.

Like with anything fashion-related, I'd say if wearing it makes you feel weird to the point that it's detrimental, don't wear it. Other than that, go for it! It'll look good.

Comment

Would also agree, it depends.

I have a linen sportcoat I could see wearing until end of September. But I also have a pair of Bonobos Oxford cloth, which have a very narrow range of wear (would get more wear with less humidity).

Comment

Originally posted by abh159 View Post
                A lot of it depends on the climate where you live. In my opinion you could get away with it in places like Florida, Southwestern US, certain places in the Deep South, and other similar places. However, I think it would look a bit odd in any place where temps start dipping into the 50s, 40s, and below. I’m picturing someone showing up to Thanksgiving in a white linen shirt in my mind and it just seems very wrong.
                There's the fabric but also the color. Yes, a traditional light blue/white striped seersucker jacket would look odd when it's not clearly warm, but an all navy blue seersucker jacket would not be off in the fall - it would just look like a less formal navy blazer. Worn, say, indoors, it would be fine.

Comment

As stated, depends on the climate in your area. Live in south Florida? Summer fabrics are year round fabrics. Live in Minneapolis? They aren't, and you'll look odd.

Comment

If your talking about "performance" fabrics like those that wick moisture, stretch, and breath, I wear year round in SoCal. This includes dress shirts, button ups, and undershirts. If its cold I Iayer up.

With that said, I don't wear linen or seersucker in Winter/Fall. I also don't wear flannel in summer.

Comment

Working...
                    X