Polos for super hot/humid weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polos for super hot/humid weather

I'm looking for some new polos that are good for super hot swampy weather (I'm in Atlanta). I usually wear S&M or Kent Wang polos and love them but they are a bit thick for this time of year. What are some good alternatives?

Not a fan of the BR Luxe Touch Polos because of the shrinkage. Curious about the Sunspel Riviera polos. Thoughts?

I like Criquet because they are light weight, have a longer placket, and collar stays to keep your collar looking sharp. A little expensive, but worth the price. (It doesn’t help that it’s a Texas company). They do have somewhat of a retro vibe that may or may not be your thing.

https://criquetshirts.com

Comment

Tyrwhitt has some linen ones: https://www.ctshirts.com/us/search?q...earchtype=text

Comment

I try to stick to regular cotton polos as much as I can, but on truly humid and gross days, I find polos made in technical fabric, such as those from arc’teryx and lululemon, work ever so slightly better.

Comment

Originally posted by goodwillhinton View Post
          I'm looking for some new polos that are good for super hot swampy weather (I'm in Atlanta). I usually wear S&M or Kent Wang polos and love them but they are a bit thick for this time of year. What are some good alternatives?

Not a fan of the BR Luxe Touch Polos because of the shrinkage. Curious about the Sunspel Riviera polos. Thoughts?
          I have a half-dozen of the Sunspel ones. Sadly, they too shrink a bit vertically after a cold/cold cycle.

Honestly, I'm a big fan of trim golf polos from Under Armour. It's all I wear in the summer time, especially the iso-chill or ones with laser cut holes for ventilation.

Comment

Try the new All In Motion line from Target. I bought one to play golf in a few months back and have since bought two more. They are fully synthetic so you don't have to worry about shrinkage, and they have been great at keeping me cool on the golf course in the 90-95+ degree southern temps. Although they are marketed as golf shirts they could easily be worn untucked as a casual option. They're slim fitting and very reasonably priced at $20-25 a piece. The collar is also substantial enough not to roll up.

I'm pretty sure the main site did a review on them but I couldn't find the link.

Comment

Believe I can solve your problem. Try Mack Weldon’s Vesper Polo, which is basically a replica of the Sunspel. Material is a verrry slight downgrade in from Sunspel (sunspels material is soooo good), but I find the fit much better, it cost 50% less, and company is based in US (return shipping to sunspel is not great). You’ll get everything you want: the aforementioned tailored fit, mesh like fabric (exactly like sunspel), and great collar (that doesn’t bacon like the br luxe touch). Hope that helps!

P.S. - Feel your pain lol. I had all KW polos while living in Central America. Great polos, but stuffy in extreme heat.
              Last edited by ddulin72; August 14, 2020, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                I try to stick to regular cotton polos as much as I can, but on truly humid and gross days, I find polos made in technical fabric, such as those from arc’teryx and lululemon, work ever so slightly better.
                Yeah the least synthetic looking polo I have that's made of a wicking performance material was made by Toad&Co (like Arc'teryx they're an outdoor brand that bills their clothes as trail to tavern). Not sure why most performance polos are made of such shiny synthetic material - there are wicking synthetic fabrics that look pretty close to cotton. You have to get real close before you're able to tell the difference.

Joe hates them I've always liked pique polos because they are micro-mesh - the fabric is textured but what makes that texture is the weave has tiny holes in it for ventilation purposes. Even 100% cotton ones breathe really well. All kinds of major retailers make them but LL Bean ( they call them their pique polo) and Lands' End (they call theirs a mesh polo) always have them every year in tons of colorways. J Crew usually has them too.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I like Uniqlo, although it can be a little shiny https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-air...cgid=men-polos

Comment

After trying a lot of different polos(Uniqlo, BR, Spier & MacKay, Mac Weldon) I just bought a Sunspel polo and it is amazing! In Colorado we have the heat(high 90s - low 100s right now) but not the humidity and the Sunspel is very cool and comfortable. I wash it on cold and line dry it and it has not shrunk on me. Well worth the money. The fit is amazing too. I bought the Mac Weldon Vesper and the fabric is very nice and light. I returned it though because it has the Mac Weldon logo on the lower back of the polo which I hated.
                    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Originally posted by theskillets View Post
                      After trying a lot of different polos(Uniqlo, BR, Spier & MacKay, Mac Weldon) I just bought a Sunspel polo and it is amazing! In Colorado we have the heat(high 90s - low 100s right now) but not the humidity and the Sunspel is very cool and comfortable. I wash it on cold and line dry it and it has not shrunk on me. Well worth the money. The fit is amazing too. I bought the Mac Weldon Vesper and the fabric is very nice and light. I returned it though because it has the Mac Weldon logo on the lower back of the polo which I hated.
                      Agreed I love sunspel polos they're my go-to, if you're patient you can get most colors on sale for ~$60 so it's not prohibitively expensive either.
                      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I decided to dig in deeper and figure this out for myself. I bought a Mac Weldon Vesper polo NWT off eBay, and found a discounted Sunspel Riviera polo on End Clothing. I wore both in the EXTREME Houston heat doing light chores (carrying things around the garage). The Mac Weldon won. You sweat in both of them in 95 degree heat with 80% humidity The Mac Weldon is just more comfortable, feels less wet, and dries much quicker. I also tried them both while running errands getting in and out of the car, and the results were the same. I feel like the inclusion of Modal gives the Weldons the edge.

other quick notes:

I like the collar of the Sunspel much better. It is more substantial and stands up so I prefer it for work. The Weldon lays almost flat, which is fine for me for casual wear.

the fit on the Weldon is better for my body shape. I ordered medium in both and the Weldon is more fitted. I haven’t washed the Sunspel yet-I hope it shrinks.

Comment

Working...
                        X