Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I worry about how clothing is perceived on to the wearer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    Since I started paying attention to cycling kits I've been seeing a ton of Rapha gear on the roads. Rapha is pretty much the only kit I can easily pick out thanks to the arm band and the labelling on the shorts. I hear their gear is comfortable, but I have no experience with them. Maybe one day if it goes on sale.
    I've never considered forking out for Rapha, Assos, etc. From 2006-09 I raced pretty seriously (cat 1 and 2) and racked up major miles. In that time, I wore nothing but team-issued clothing, which was always the basic club-level stuff (Squadra, Voler, etc.). I never had any complaints about comfort, other than that the Sugoi shorts I wore one year had a super thick chamois, which I didn't love. In my experience, as long as you've got a thin, flexible chamois and no tags or seams that scratch you, you're good. The rest is mostly marketing.

What you really need to do (after you've ridden enough to adapt your sit bones) is (a) lather your crotch with chamois cream before the ride, and (b) scrub your crotch with antibacterial soap in the shower after the ride. That will pretty much eliminate saddle sores.

As for style, wear your club's kit, or wear black shorts with a solid jersey (that isn't high-viz yellow). Do that and it's hard to go wrong.

Comment

facelessghost Rapha is interesting as a company. Whenever I bring up their name in cycling company. a debate usually breaks out. Seems like everyone has an opinion on them. More-so than any other brand. I don't know why. I have heard their bib shorts are very comfortable. Same for their jerseys. I don't own any of their stuff, but I am seeing more and more of it on the road these days.

Similar to you, I wore kits that were given to me for the longest time. Although unlike you, I never raced. These were just kits work or friends or whatever ended up giving me. Quality was across the board. Some chamois were super comfortable and I reached for them all the time. Others we crap and I hardly wore them at all.

Now that I am past all of my free kits, I am looking to purchase some that will last for a couple of seasons or more. But wow. Prices are up there. And many items are sold out, what with the rush to cycle during the pandemic.

Comment

I came in here to say "I didn't expect this from you" but when i saw it was related to a sport, I understood. I am not into cycling and I admittedly didnt read this whole thread because I couldn't relate to all of it. But Im a sports guy so I get the idea. I have to say I would pay attention personally but you dont have to. I wouldnt show up to the park to play basketball wearing a full lakers kit and $250 shoes. Im just not good enough to draw attention to myself like that. Not for the reputation but for my game. I need to fly under the radar and surprise people or I will get shut down lol. However, I wouldnt have a problem wearing a quick dry hawks shirt because Im a fan.

I slightly relate this to concert tees too. I wouldn't wear a bands tee shirt to their concert unless I was a mega fan. Because if someone walks up to me and is like "dude!!!" and asks me a bunch of Qs, I need to be able to answer them, not say "I just heard two of their songs on TikTok and thought it was cool."

Comment

[QUOTE=idvsego;n430577 I wouldnt show up to the park to play basketball wearing a full lakers kit and $250 shoes. Im just not good enough to draw attention to myself like that. Not for the reputation but for my game. I need to fly under the radar and surprise people or I will get shut down lol. [/QUOTE]

Exactly! That's part of the dilemma of picking out what to wear/ride in. Showing up in a fancy pants expensive kit without the cajones to back it up is just asking for trouble! I like flying under the radar too. Some cycling kits encourage flash, others less-so. Those are the ones I am interested in.

Comment

Working...
          X