X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart watches and the pandemic

During my internet travels I came across this article abut smart watches:

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...-a-smartwatch/

I must say, this article resonated with me. Since the pandemic has taken hold, I have been wearing my Garmin Forerunner 235 pretty much exclusively. I started wearing the watch to track my movement throughout the day at home. Plus I use the watch to track my physical activity after work. Rather than swap watches back and forth I've just stuck with it.

I do miss my nicer watches though. There is something about wearing a nice timepiece that just speaks to me that my Garmin doesn't have.

What I don't get from that article though is putting your phone in a different room. I am constantly on my phone for work and not using it is not an option. I don't think the AppleWatch has reduced my iPhone dependency at all. It's a part of my life and I won't feel bad as some articles tend to do for using technology to make my life better.

Since March 13th, I've almost exclusive worn my wife's hand me down Series 2 Apple Watch. She needed one for her work (events, never by the phone, etc.) and never liked nice watched. I wore a Baume Mercier almost everyday for the past 5 years and before that a variety of dressier watches everyday for almost 15 years.

I used to always wear a nicer time piece and rarely wore this Apple Watch during weekends. But since COVID I've really come to see the value and enjoy it. The health updates, notifications, etc. are great. If they improve the EKG functionality I'll buy the latest one. My family has a history of heart disease.

I've always wanted a Rolex, and maybe one day I'll get one, but I think my nicer watches may be hitting the back burner for good given the benefits of the smart watch.

Comment

I had to turn off the notifications on my Apple watch that remind me to stand up every so often. Enough shaming already we are in a pandemic 😂

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
        What I don't get from that article though is putting your phone in a different room. I am constantly on my phone for work and not using it is not an option.
        Yeah, same here. I have my phone with beside me during the day. I'm trained enough not to check the phone frequently. But leaving the phone in another room is not an option for me.

Comment

I read The Art of Manliness a lot and Brent, the writer and owner, takes the approach of why put effort into training when you can remove the distraction totally. It’s like not even buying cookies when on a strict diet. He mentions in other articles that not having notifications helps most people. I only put my phone in the other room when I need to do really deep work or read through new laws and changing one word counts for everything. 90 minutes at a sweet spot for my concentration, unless there is a true emergency very few people get mad over waiting that long for a response.

I am actually on the opposite side of the spectrum and thinking of getting a GShock with a step counter but will probably succumb to the smart watch as I need the GShock with a GPS more.

DocDave- have you tried both Apple smart watch and the Garmin. Lot of people have been telling me that garmin is better then Apple

Comment

jvargas I have not tried the Apple watch and to be honest I probably won't. I have zero interest in the watch. My Garmin does everything I need a smart watch to do. Also, to be honest I am not that in love with wearing the watch. I get a lot more joy out of wearing my Rolex or Omega. The Garmin just feels kind of 'meh'. But my whole lifestyle now is a lot more utilitarian. I haven't tied a tie in months. My suits sit in my closed unloved. And AE shoes? What does AE stand for again?

Kind of sad really.

I do kind of agree with Brent's approach though. I know when I was not eating sugar during the week, we did not keep cookies in the house. Same goes for not wanting to eat salty snacks. No chips in the house. Why bring in temptation?

Comment

Yeah I think most people are going to be more utilitarian. I have moved away from nice nice leather dress shoes, suits and jackets for good probably as I have entered a new field involved in the environment, which means going out into the field. It’s very odd buying pants I would normally wear for leisure into the office. I know need something that has the gps feature and a timer so I remember to actually drink water. I might be on of those weird people that wear both a thin smart watch and a real watch.

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
              jvargas I have not tried the Apple watch and to be honest I probably won't. I have zero interest in the watch. My Garmin does everything I need a smart watch to do. Also, to be honest I am not that in love with wearing the watch. I get a lot more joy out of wearing my Rolex or Omega. The Garmin just feels kind of 'meh'. But my whole lifestyle now is a lot more utilitarian. I haven't tied a tie in months. My suits sit in my closed unloved. And AE shoes? What does AE stand for again?

Kind of sad really.

I do kind of agree with Brent's approach though. I know when I was not eating sugar during the week, we did not keep cookies in the house. Same goes for not wanting to eat salty snacks. No chips in the house. Why bring in temptation?

Comment

So I just learned of a one reason why a regular old watch is preferable to a smart watch. Garmin has been offline for the past four days. Meaning no ability to download workouts or have any visibility in to sleep, hydration, steps, etc. Plus all of that personal information, which is considerable, is now out in the wild. So yeah. Maybe a regular watch isn't so bad after all...

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  So I just learned of a one reason why a regular old watch is preferable to a smart watch. Garmin has been offline for the past four days. Meaning no ability to download workouts or have any visibility in to sleep, hydration, steps, etc. Plus all of that personal information, which is considerable, is now out in the wild. So yeah. Maybe a regular watch isn't so bad after all...
                  To be fair my wife has had an Apple Watch since series 2 and hasn’t had a system down day.

Comment

Fair enough. The watch portion still worked though. All of the other features worked too. Steps counting, sleep tracking, etc. I was just unable to upload the information to view the analysis.

Comment

My watch wearing hasn't changed at all during the pandemic. I have a handful of watches, including a Garmin watch. I still wear my normal watches most of the time and rotate through them as much as I ever did before, and switch over to the Garmin for runs, workouts, etc. Sometimes if I run in the morning, I'll just continue to wear it throughout the day, but I did that before as well. Maybe its because I specifically bought it to be a running watch, but I don't see why anything pandemic-related would change how I think of and use watches. I still need to tell the time whether I'm at home or outside! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                        My watch wearing hasn't changed at all during the pandemic. I have a handful of watches, including a Garmin watch. I still wear my normal watches most of the time and rotate through them as much as I ever did before, and switch over to the Garmin for runs, workouts, etc. Sometimes if I run in the morning, I'll just continue to wear it throughout the day, but I did that before as well. Maybe its because I specifically bought it to be a running watch, but I don't see why anything pandemic-related would change how I think of and use watches. I still need to tell the time whether I'm at home or outside! :-)
                        At least from my perspective is part of a traditional watch in a business environment is the image it helps portray and pulls an outfit together. Well at home, at least I am far more casual, than I was in an office environment. I am focusing more on utilitarian wear versus suits, ties, etc.. The smart watch fits in with that utilitarian aspect. Both can tell time, but the smart watch helps alert me on meetings, reminders to stand, etc. if I go back into an office environment or have to dress up I'd bring back the dress watch but I am now strongly considering getting a newer Apple Watch than ever before.

Comment

I only have two watches...a Citizen Eco Drive field watch - according to Amazon they're now calling it the Chandler field watch (the model number is BM8180-03E) but when I bought mine it didn't have a name. I have an Orient Bambino that I use as my dress watch. I leave that at the office because I don't need a dress watch off duty all that often, so I have not worn that in months. Basically, I am down to one watch at present, but it tells excellent time and has for the decade I've owned it, with no service or maintenance whatsoever. My phone does a pretty good job of tracking my activity level but a Smart Watch would probably do better.
                          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I had a smart watch for several years, and a fitbit before that. I went back to analog watches. For me, a smart watch is just one more thing to charge, update, etc. It makes me more of a slave to technology because it is one more device that is giving me alerts, text messages, phone calls, and so on. Life is simpler with a phone and a regular watch.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post

At least from my perspective is part of a traditional watch in a business environment is the image it helps portray and pulls an outfit together. Well at home, at least I am far more casual, than I was in an office environment. I am focusing more on utilitarian wear versus suits, ties, etc.. The smart watch fits in with that utilitarian aspect. Both can tell time, but the smart watch helps alert me on meetings, reminders to stand, etc. if I go back into an office environment or have to dress up I'd bring back the dress watch but I am now strongly considering getting a newer Apple Watch than ever before.
                              Maybe this is part of my indifference. I don't own any true 'dress' watches, and wear my normal watches (Omega SMP, Hamilton Khaki Field, Casio Edifice EF503) in regular rotation as part of my business casual work or 'home' outfits, (which are often the same thing to begin with). I never differentiate between what and where I wear any of my watches. It all just comes down to which one I feel like wearing on a given day.

Comment

Working...
                              X