boat shoes or camp mocs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boat shoes or camp mocs?

Great review of the J. Crew Kenton boat shoes! But what, exactly, makes those "boat shoes"? Cuz they sure look more like camp mocs to me, especially with the mini-lug sole.

And while I'm on about camp mocs - how the heck do you wear those things? My old, beat up Sperries finally died, so I picked up a pair of brown suede camp mocs because I was looking for something a little different. But every time I wear them, I feel like I'm going to get beat up for my lunch money or get a "Kick Me" sign taped to my back. They look so...pretentious. Maybe I need to scuff them up a little or something.

I always wore them transitionally going from late winter to mid/late spring (early March-May) then transitioning to boat shoes, then back to camp Mocs (sometimes with socks!) around early October until mid/late Nov. I tend to think of them as cool weather boat shoes. Casual, but more appropriate with jeans/light sweater than with shorts. But, what the heck do I know?

Comment

Those jcrews reviewed on the main site sure look like camp mocs to me.

Technicalities aside, I personally don’t wear boat shoes. The frat bros ruined them for me. I do like camp mocs though. Have a pair from Sperry and another from Eastland Made in Maine. Other than the sock less look, I also like to wear them in early fall with some not too boring socks (but def no ‘fun socks’). Goes well with jeans imo.

Comment

Thanks guys. Helpful. I generally think of boat shoes as sort of dressed-up sneakers, but it sounds like I should think of camp mocs as more of dressed-down loafers.

Comment

I there is also a bit of where you grew up and what family or greatest influence in your life thought about style. My maternal grandfather sails and my paternal grandfather was a Merchant Marine so wearing boat shoes all season isn’t odd for me. The short time I lived in Pennsylvania lots of people wore camp Mocs because they can be paired with socks in the fall easier. I tend to buy boat shoes regularly because the market presence of Sperry; boat shoes are just cheaper.

A couple years back a sight called primer men’s magazine did a couple outfits with camp Mocs that might be helpful. If you are like me I get stuck wearing certain pieces with very specific outfits and can’t get out of the rut, so I am always up for outfit suggestions.

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
          Great review of the J. Crew Kenton boat shoes! But what, exactly, makes those "boat shoes"? Cuz they sure look more like camp mocs to me, especially with the mini-lug sole.

And while I'm on about camp mocs - how the heck do you wear those things? My old, beat up Sperries finally died, so I picked up a pair of brown suede camp mocs because I was looking for something a little different. But every time I wear them, I feel like I'm going to get beat up for my lunch money or get a "Kick Me" sign taped to my back. They look so...pretentious. Maybe I need to scuff them up a little or something.

Comment

Thanks! And I agree, they're more camp mocs than boat shoes, which is why I started calling them boat mocs. For me, boat shoes have the traditional siped non-slip rubber soles whereas camp mocs tend to have the low profile treaded soles or lugged soles.

I wear mine super casually around the house or when out running simple errands - usually with jeans, tees, sweatshirts, beat up old chinos, and shorts. They're a more casual, relaxed take on penny loafers or drivers. Some albums:

1. https://imgur.com/a/NPiBt
            2. https://imgur.com/a/Djb3I

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post

Thanks! And I agree, they're more camp mocs than boat shoes, which is why I started calling them boat mocs. For me, boat shoes have the traditional siped non-slip rubber soles whereas camp mocs tend to have the low profile treaded soles or lugged soles.

I wear mine super casually around the house or when out running simple errands - usually with jeans, tees, sweatshirts, beat up old chinos, and shorts. They're a more casual, relaxed take on penny loafers or drivers. Some albums:

1. https://imgur.com/a/NPiBt
              2. https://imgur.com/a/Djb3I
              Thanks. The albums were helpful, both in terms of looks I could never pull off in a million year and some that might look good on me. The guy with the plaid shirt and longer(ish) shorts jumped out as one I hadn't thought of, but could work.

I grew up in San Diego, where boat shoes and camp mocs are decidedly NOT a thing. At least, they weren't in the 80's and 90's. It was more like Vans and flip-flops and the latest basketball-player endorsed sneaker.

Comment

J crew probably called them boat shoes, because the term is more well known. There are a lot of "boat shoes" with lug soles, ie: Timberland's boat shoes. I think that really there are two ways of classifying boat shoes, style of upper and function. Many shoes have a classic boat shoe style upper, but are unsuited for wearing on a boat deck. Other shoes (Addias Kiel is one example) don't look like boat shoes but are waterproof and have the non slip sole.

Comment

to me, camp mocs are the non-pretentious version of boat shoes.

Comment

Working...
                  X