Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brooks Brothers' BK and the Contempt of the Corner Office Execs . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brooks Brothers' BK and the Contempt of the Corner Office Execs . . .

Well, here's an interesting take on the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy. I liked what the author said about how many CEOs and other corner office executives dress today:

What a billionaire CEO is telling you when he shows up to a shareholder meeting in a hooded sweatshirt or athleisure wear that costs more than most people's mortgage is that your sense of dignity means nothing to him: he is above you no matter how both of you are dressed. It is the ultimate put-down.
    https://theweek.com/articles/924830/...rooks-brothers

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

That's mainly a West Coast thing, especially tech. There's still plenty of business execs wearing suits on the East Coast and in the Mid West. I think Suit Supply and on-line MTM are a bigger factor in cutting into BB's sales, at least on the tailored clothing side of things. I think BB needs to follow J Press' lead, scale back, and focus on their core aesthetic.

Comment

Enjoyed the article - I think this in particular is an underappreciated part of the BB story (and likely underappreciated by BB themselves): "Many people have the wrong idea about the company founded in 1818 as H. and D.H. Brooks. So far from being elitist or "preppy," Brooks Brothers was remarkably egalitarian precisely because it had been worn so long by so many without significantly changing."

I hope they can be reconstituted along the lines of J. Press/O'Connells with a somewhat larger retail footprint (though not anything close to the current # stores), though I definitely share the author's concern that brand dilution is the most likely path.
      “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
      "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
        Enjoyed the article - I think this in particular is an underappreciated part of the BB story (and likely underappreciated by BB themselves): "Many people have the wrong idea about the company founded in 1818 as H. and D.H. Brooks. So far from being elitist or "preppy," Brooks Brothers was remarkably egalitarian precisely because it had been worn so long by so many without significantly changing."
        My father was one of the first black stock brokers on Wall Street, and wore Brooks Brothers shirts and suits for decades at work, in part for this reason. And the guys at the store (mainly the one at One Liberty Plaza but maybe also 346 Madison) treated him well.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
          That's mainly a West Coast thing, especially tech. There's still plenty of business execs wearing suits on the East Coast and in the Mid West. I think Suit Supply and on-line MTM are a bigger factor in cutting into BB's sales, at least on the tailored clothing side of things. I think BB needs to follow J Press' lead, scale back, and focus on their core aesthetic.
          I'm an attorney, and don't see professional attire dying in my profession any time soon. What I most commonly see is the Dappered aesthetic among younger attorneys, with the more traditional look (perhaps sans tie) being maintained among older attorneys.

I will say that I'm in IP, and I *do* take into account the tech culture when meeting with startups. I dress down a lot when doing so.

Comment

Working...
          X