Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather Boot Help

Hey everyone,
    I am looking for boots. They need to be either black or brown and full leather to survive the field, see desert conditions or just look up Death Valley. They do need some grip to be able to hike and climb some rocks. It would be nice if they don’t look out of place in a super causal office. Some version of Chippewas are popular in the office but everyone has there own opinion. I have thought about even going cowboy boots but my sister, a cowboy boot addict, suggested waiting till I can have those fitted since I have never owned a pair. Thoughts one this?
    My price range sort of tops out at the 500 range like Nike’s or Whites as I am still trying to decide if I want to work Fire or not. I can be convinced to go hire as these boots are going to have lots mileage put on them but I am also planning on buying more in a couple years. If you also have a opinion on socks that would be great too as I usually just buy Darn Tough,

Thanks everyone for the help. I am terrible with buying stuff out of season and have avoided buying nice boots for a while as I knew it was going to become a hobby/ addiction.

I am very happy with a pair of Wolverine 1,000 mile boots I picked up earlier this year. The model I have has been discontinued, but I've heard great things about their other models. I walked five miles the first day I got them and they weren't too bad to break in.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/mens...&start=0&sz=12

I also purchased a pair of these from J. Fitzpatrick, and they were quite nice. But I had to return them because they were just a bit too snug.

https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com...e-rugged-brown

Allen Edmonds has a kick-ass sale right now on lots of different boots.

I have this pair and I love them. They are marked down about 75% right now--from $395 to $150:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...=Boots&start=1

But they have more casual boots as well with similar savings.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/?p...s&prefv1=Boots

If you want something you will NOT see everyone wearing, try these from Carlos Santos--I love mine. They are pretty much perfect.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/carlo...uimaraes-grain

Parkhurst Brands is a new USA made boot company--the owner is very nice and responds to emails personally. I have one of their belts and it is extremely well made, but no boots yet--I don't have enough closet space right now.

They make some great looking casual boots in Buffalo, NY with leathers you don't always see used by the big mass producers:

https://www.parkhurstbrand.com/collections/catalog

My final suggestion is that Nordstrom Rack has a bunch of Frye boots on sale. I don't like my Frye Chelsea boots as much as my other boots, but they are good for the price:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/M...rye%20%26%20Co

You will probably get some additional suggestions like Thursday Boot, Taft, that company in Australia I can't remember the name of, Cobbler Union, and a bunch of others.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I would just get a pair of whites through bakers. You can send them a tracing of your foot to make sure they get you the best fitting boot possible, and they will let you customize the looks and features of your boots, letting you craft the perfect pair for yourself.

There are a lot of great indonesian makers who are some of the best value in the market imo. Some makers you can look at are Benzein, Winson and Sagara. They will have handwelted construction, which is superior to goodyearwelt, and tons of customization.
      Last edited by ifticar2; July 1, 2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

www.trumanboot.com
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I would avoid cowboy boots if you plan on doing some serious walking in them. I can't imagine that you're going to get much support in them, given that they're just slip on, and really made for riding on a horse. Some walking around, sure, but over unsteady terrain? I would avoid it.

Likewise, I'd avoid anything with a leather sole.

Frankly, I think you'd have better luck going to an place that specializes in hiking/bouldering, and find something that looks nice. That way you'll be sure to get the support and grip you need, which is more important than a nice silhouette and classic styling.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
            I would avoid cowboy boots if you plan on doing some serious walking in them. I can't imagine that you're going to get much support in them, given that they're just slip on, and really made for riding on a horse. Some walking around, sure, but over unsteady terrain? I would avoid it.

Likewise, I'd avoid anything with a leather sole.

Frankly, I think you'd have better luck going to an place that specializes in hiking/bouldering, and find something that looks nice. That way you'll be sure to get the support and grip you need, which is more important than a nice silhouette and classic styling.
            This. Cowboy boots have a stacked leather sole - at least the authentic ones do. They offer no grip whatsoever so if you need some grip they will not work for you. They were designed this way on purpose - they're purpose built for horse riding and have slick soles so they slide out of stirrups easily - to prevent them getting caught if you fall off your horse, which might result in you getting dragged along the ground by said horse.

If you go less authentic you can find some cowboy boot style boots with rubber soles (and even steel toes) that are factory floor approved, but they're still not optimal for hiking. Nothing that doesn't have laces is going to lock your foot in as securely and hence blisters are much more likely. For grip on natural rock you really can't beat hiking boot soles. I would maybe look at some Danner models, along with other dedicated hiking boot brands (Vasque, Oboz (the brand I wear because their last works best for my feet), La Sportiva...there are many brands out there). Most will make a boot with full grain leather uppers which would not be all that much less dressy than a pair of (insert your American heritage brand - Chippewa, Wolverine, Redwing etc. here), but will offer modern support features that make them more comfortable hiking long distances. They may be a step down in style/American heritage looks though, so it depends on how much you need style vs. how much actual hiking you will be doing in them.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah I have dropped the idea of cowboy boots as they just don't seem practical in the rocky terrain. I realized looking over my original post that I didn't make it very clear. how casual my office is. Most people wear t-shirts and jeans all the time. There are times when I feel over dressed wearing breathable polos so the style isn't a big deal but t-shirts are too weird for me. I am a huge fan of Vasque soles for my trail running shoes and light weight. Very tempted to follow that idea for these boots. I am just wondering if I have to go a thinker soil or the basic Iron Ranger or Wolverine would work.

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

This. Cowboy boots have a stacked leather sole - at least the authentic ones do. They offer no grip whatsoever so if you need some grip they will not work for you. They were designed this way on purpose - they're purpose built for horse riding and have slick soles so they slide out of stirrups easily - to prevent them getting caught if you fall off your horse, which might result in you getting dragged along the ground by said horse.

If you go less authentic you can find some cowboy boot style boots with rubber soles (and even steel toes) that are factory floor approved, but they're still not optimal for hiking. Nothing that doesn't have laces is going to lock your foot in as securely and hence blisters are much more likely. For grip on natural rock you really can't beat hiking boot soles. I would maybe look at some Danner models, along with other dedicated hiking boot brands (Vasque, Oboz (the brand I wear because their last works best for my feet), La Sportiva...there are many brands out there). Most will make a boot with full grain leather uppers which would not be all that much less dressy than a pair of (insert your American heritage brand - Chippewa, Vasque, Redwing etc. here), but will offer modern support features that make them more comfortable hiking long distances. They may be a step down in style/American heritage looks though, so it depends on how much you need style vs. how much actual hiking you will be doing in them.

Comment

Working...
              X