Jcrew Unsuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    One mild warning on fit -- the slim fit isn't exactly the same as a ludlow slim fit when it comes to the jacket. They fit a little bigger. If you wear a 40R in a slim ludlow and want the exact same fit, you probably need a 39R in the unsuit.
    I just had the exact opposite problem on fit: two years ago I purchased the deep water in my regular 38R and it fits great. Last I week I pulled the trigger on the navy in my regular 38R but it’s way too small. Its super tight around the shoulders, I can hardly fit into it. I’m quite annoyed since this is final sale but I am going to attempt an in store exchange anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post

I just had the exact opposite problem on fit: two years ago I purchased the deep water in my regular 38R and it fits great. Last I week I pulled the trigger on the navy in my regular 38R but it’s way too small. Its super tight around the shoulders, I can hardly fit into it. I’m quite annoyed since this is final sale but I am going to attempt an in store exchange anyways.
      This had been my experience as well. I tried one on in store once and found the jacket to be a bit more snug than my typical Ludlow size.

The whole point of this thread is moot anyway. I just found out the dress code for this wedding black tie. Thats right. Black tie, outside, in the summer, in Georgia!

EDIT: Never mind. It's not black tie. The bride didn't understand that black tie meant men in tuxes. She just wants men in suits. Phew. It still doesn't matter though because JCrew sent me an email essentially saying they oversold the Navy jacket in my size and can't fulfill the order. They offered to exchange for the grey but my wife thought that it looked frumpy so I canceling the order all together. Since I have no impulse control I bought this "blazer suit" from Spier instead. I took a gamble and went with the contemporary fit instead of my normal slim. My slim sport coat from them fits like a glove but my slim suit is a little snug. I'm hoping this works out and will be my go summer wedding suit.

​​​​​​https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...112-2f1h1-ss20
      Last edited by Geo; July 5, 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Mine to arrive on Tuesday. Will post about the fit

but at $75. It was a steal.
        if all goes down I will have very nice pants and socks

Comment

That's disappointing that sizing could vary that much across the same product. Not cool, JCrew. Not cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            Black tie, outside, in the summer, in Georgia!
            I'm pretty sure that qualifies as domestic terrorism.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that qualifies as domestic terrorism.
              lol See my edit above. It's not black tie after all but I was speechless when I initially heard black tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                EDIT: Never mind. It's not black tie. The bride didn't understand that black tie meant men in tuxes. She just wants men in suits.​​​​​​https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...112-2f1h1-ss20
                That's a relief. I feel like this is the case with many wedding attire conflicts: the bride and groom have no sense of appropriate dress code terminology and no one has the courage to correct them because it's their "dream wedding" so they end up with dress codes that are conflicting and / or altogether inappropriate. Fortunately for you, someone had the good sense to rectify the mistake before someone died of heatstroke on the wedding day.

Comment

That's disappointing that sizing could vary that much across the same product. Not cool, JCrew. Not cool.
                  Fortunately I was able to make an in store exchange! The sales associate didn't even make an issue out of it being final sale so that's a major relief.

Comment

Fortunately I was able to make an in store exchange! The sales associate didn't even make an issue out of it being final sale so that's a major relief.
                    Dang you are fast.
                    good to know in case mine won’t fit

did they have those suits available in store so you can try it on or was it another shipment

Comment

Originally posted by dc_slicker View Post

Dang you are fast.
                      good to know in case mine won’t fit

did they have those suits available in store so you can try it on or was it another shipment
                      They did but in the gray rather than the navy I wanted. Nonetheless, they placed an order for the navy.

Also, since you're also in DC: I went to the J.Crew at Pentagon City Mall, if crossing the river isn't too much of a trek for you.

Comment

They did but in the gray rather than the navy I wanted. Nonetheless, they placed an order for the navy.

Also, since you're also in DC: I went to the J.Crew at Pentagon City Mall, if crossing the river isn't too much of a trek for you.
                        Thank you sir!
                        I have one mall closer to me, but thank you for heads up about Pentagon City Mall willingness to work with final sale item. I mean you can def argue that you paid for 38R and what you received was not 38R but it was rather defected hence you need something that actually fits like 38R and you would be happy to keep it.

Comment

I just received my light grey unsuit in the mail. For $75 bucks, I really don't think you can do better for a summer suit. I've been wanting a linen suit in grey for some time now, and this more than adequately filled the need. My initials thoughts for those who might be interested:

Pros:
                          -The fit for me is spot on. I am 5'10", 180lbs and a 41R was perfect off the rack. I might need to bring the sleeves up a bit, but otherwise, it's spot on.
                          -The construction is a bit of a marvel! For there not being much in the line of construction, when you put it on, it looks like a suit without question. They should really consider not calling this the unsuit, because it is very much a suit, albeit one with light construction
                          -The wrinkles...even out of the box there were surprisingly few wrinkles. For those curious this suit is 80% cotton, 20% linen. The wrinkle factor is shockingly minimal.
                          -The look is very much a linen "look" despite being primarily cotton. It's light grey, but has flecks of black and white. It's not quite a donegal, but it's leaning that way. So it does wear slightly more casual. The navy or deep blue option might look a bit more formal. Having said that, I would not hesitate to wear this to a summer wedding or even a casual business event in the summer/spring.
                          -Versatility will definitely make this a well used suit. It will break up well and I am sure I will wear

Cons:
                          -It's obviously lightweight and airy. Having said that, it's not quite as lightweight and airy as I expected. There's a bit of stiffness/scratchiness to the fabric. It's not as bad as some that I've put on. For example, the Banana Republic linen options almost always feel quite stiff to me. This may ease up with wear, but I'm starting to think that the most airy and lightweight suiting option is not linen or cotton, but a summer weight wool with no lining. I really think those tend to wear lighter and don't come with the drawback of linen's stiff/waxy hand. But having said that, I think this is certainly lightweight enough for most.
                          -It's more casual, so for the OP, if this wedding is leaning more formal, you're probably right to go another direction. Thank God that wedding is not black tie, or I'd seriously considering a boycott!

Overall, I am really happy with the purchase, especially at $75, it's almost a no brainer. At full price...I'm not so sure I'd be so enthused.

As for returns, I've actually noticed Banana has also eased up on their no returns during the COVID crisis. I'm not saying I'd count on that, but it seems like retailers are doing everything they can to keep customers happy right now, and I hope that lasts beyond COVID!

Comment

Yes, you got a great buy--I had this in my basket and then did NOT pull the trigger. I want a suit like that--but it looks like we're staying home here in So Cal as much as possible for at least another two to three months. So, what's the point? I still have a brand new BB summer suit in my closet that needs to be tailored and I've never had a chance to wear.

But for $75, you really got a great buy

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                            I just received my light grey unsuit in the mail. For $75 bucks, I really don't think you can do better for a summer suit. I've been wanting a linen suit in grey for some time now, and this more than adequately filled the need. My initials thoughts for those who might be interested:

Pros:
                            -The fit for me is spot on. I am 5'10", 180lbs and a 41R was perfect off the rack. I might need to bring the sleeves up a bit, but otherwise, it's spot on.
                            -The construction is a bit of a marvel! For there not being much in the line of construction, when you put it on, it looks like a suit without question. They should really consider not calling this the unsuit, because it is very much a suit, albeit one with light construction
                            -The wrinkles...even out of the box there were surprisingly few wrinkles. For those curious this suit is 80% cotton, 20% linen. The wrinkle factor is shockingly minimal.
                            -The look is very much a linen "look" despite being primarily cotton. It's light grey, but has flecks of black and white. It's not quite a donegal, but it's leaning that way. So it does wear slightly more casual. The navy or deep blue option might look a bit more formal. Having said that, I would not hesitate to wear this to a summer wedding or even a casual business event in the summer/spring.
                            -Versatility will definitely make this a well used suit. It will break up well and I am sure I will wear

Cons:
                            -It's obviously lightweight and airy. Having said that, it's not quite as lightweight and airy as I expected. There's a bit of stiffness/scratchiness to the fabric. It's not as bad as some that I've put on. For example, the Banana Republic linen options almost always feel quite stiff to me. This may ease up with wear, but I'm starting to think that the most airy and lightweight suiting option is not linen or cotton, but a summer weight wool with no lining. I really think those tend to wear lighter and don't come with the drawback of linen's stiff/waxy hand. But having said that, I think this is certainly lightweight enough for most.
                            -It's more casual, so for the OP, if this wedding is leaning more formal, you're probably right to go another direction. Thank God that wedding is not black tie, or I'd seriously considering a boycott!

Overall, I am really happy with the purchase, especially at $75, it's almost a no brainer. At full price...I'm not so sure I'd be so enthused.

As for returns, I've actually noticed Banana has also eased up on their no returns during the COVID crisis. I'm not saying I'd count on that, but it seems like retailers are doing everything they can to keep customers happy right now, and I hope that lasts beyond COVID!
                            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post

Pros:

Cons:

Just received mine!
                              pants were spot on. The jacket too. I am 5’10” and 185, but I have barrel chest so I get 44R. Having said that. The sleeves were little too long but I always get sleeves adjusted as 44R meant for a larger guy.

I even think the jacket was a tiny bit on larger size for me. But it is not a problem as I will have to bring it in to a tailor anyway so if needed it can be tighten

at 75 it is a steal

and yes. I was expecting more of a light weight jacket. This was little thicker than I expected. But hey, means less wrinkles!

and did I say it was $75 with socks? 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

I went for this as well, but lost the sizing lottery. Generally a 42L Ludlow is a little roomy for me (SuitSupply Havana 42L fits great) so I took a chance on a 40L, but it's just too tight in the shoulders. So if anyone is looking for a 40L jacket in the Deep Water color, drop me a line. Somewhat disappointed, but on the other hand I'm not sure what my jacket-wearing opportunities will be in the coming months anyway - I'm hardly leaving the house, but seem unable to resist cheap prices on new clothes anyway...

Comment

Working...
                                X