Jcrew Unsuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jcrew Unsuits

The deal on the Jcrew unconstructed cotton-linen suits on the main page is really tempting. I was thinking about grabbing one of these for two weddings I have coming up next year. One is a beach front wedding in Mexico and the other is an outdoor wedding in Georgia in June. It would be great for the beach wedding but I'm not sure how it would look for the second wedding. My wife is a bridesmaid in that one and I don't want to look like a wrinkled mess next to her. But its also an outdoor wedding in Georgia in June. So the lightweight and airiness of the suit is appealing. For those that have this suit, what do you guys think? Will it be appropriate? If so, any opinions on which color? Trying to decide between gray and navy. I have a navy wool suit and a charcoal wool suit but nothing in a light grey. I like the idea of light grey but think it would be easier to wear a navy jacket on its own.

Do it! The suits are excellent. And I think the wrinkle effect is way overstated. Linen wrinkles and its a feature not a bug. Besides, the cotton blend helps prevent that wrinkle effect. I pulled the trigger on the suit even though I didn't entirely need it but the deal is just too good to pass up.

Comment

I'm another vote for buying it. I have it in "Deep Water." It should should work for a wedding. I work for a southern law firm and wore it at a retreat for cocktail hour/dinner. It worked perfectly and the wrinkling is overrated.

Are you worried that it will be too formal or not formal enough?

Comment

I bought the first generation of these when they came out two years ago and I hit on a discount code that dropped them to the $130 range (if memory serves). They don't wrinkle that much really...I generally get mine pressed only when I get them dry cleaned, which is about twice a year so I get several wears in between pressings, and there's a little wrinkling in the back where you press against your chair if you're sitting for a long time, and some at the elbow and knee bend areas but it's definitely not into the wrinkled mess territory you get with some full linen shirts. I think you would be fine at any summer wedding that wasn't black tie formal. They work fine as cocktail attire. I'm almost tempted to get a second one at the price they're going for but I'm full time telework and not going to be wearing a suit again until I go back into the office, which is probably not until fall, so even at the current price I don't really feel like parting with the money. I haven't worn the one I have yet this year so, don't need a second.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

You can get the suit pressed and/or steamed if you think it's that bad unless you decide to save the baggage fee by wearing all your clothes in one go, it shouldn't wrinkle that much more than a normal suit.

I'm sad they don't still make the Pacific Blue color. That would have been great for a summery, light weight suit, compared to the navy they have now.

Comment

They're a great deal and don't wrinkle much. I've worn them to multiple summer weddings and they're pretty versatile as separates too. You really can't go wrong at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
              You can get the suit pressed and/or steamed if you think it's that bad unless you decide to save the baggage fee by wearing all your clothes in one go, it shouldn't wrinkle that much more than a normal suit.

I'm sad they don't still make the Pacific Blue color. That would have been great for a summery, light weight suit, compared to the navy they have now.
              Yeah the wrinkle factor is surprisingly not all that much of a problem with these suits. I mostly wear mine in the office May-early September. I think mine is that Pacific blue color and it is really great - a shade or two lighter than navy - perfect for spring and summer. I get lots of compliments on the suit and it's mostly people saying it's a great color. The jacket does indeed work fine on its own as a sport coat. It's a very versatile summer suit.

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

damn... if you add socks, it drops it down to $75 for jacket, pants and socks... Feel it is rather very good deal where you dont drop a lot of money and if all goes to sh1t, well, it was not much of a bank

do i need this suit? not really... no exciting weddings to attend, but will i get it... probably since it is a good deal
                damn it. lol

Comment

Before J Crew came up with the 'unsuit', they sold a jacket which I think is the same cotton-linen fabric from the Somelos milll.

I bought one in 2016 and it is amazingly wrinkle proof for a cotton-linen fabric. It's unstructured, light weight and perfect for the summer.

Comment

Do it. Even if you only wear it once it's worth it at $75 bucks. You'll spend more than that on cocktails the night before the wedding! I have absolutely no real reason to buy the suit, but at $75 I did it anyway (I didn't have a linen suit, and this one seems super airy). I'm partial to the light grey, I think you can easily wear it with dark jeans, light or white chinos, and charcoal trousers. I don't think it's as much a versatility decision as much as it is just a preference decision. Or heck, $75 bucks, buy both!

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                      Do it. Even if you only wear it once it's worth it at $75 bucks. You'll spend more than that on cocktails the night before the wedding! I have absolutely no real reason to buy the suit, but at $75 I did it anyway (I didn't have a linen suit, and this one seems super airy). I'm partial to the light grey, I think you can easily wear it with dark jeans, light or white chinos, and charcoal trousers. I don't think it's as much a versatility decision as much as it is just a preference decision. Or heck, $75 bucks, buy both!
                      lol
                      got one myself in deep blue... like you said, i feel few rounds of drinks would be more than that suit

Comment

Well I pulled the trigger and bought one in Navy. Thanks for all of the input.

ayost08 My only concern is that it won't match the level of formality of my wife's attire. She will be decked out as a bridesmaid and I don't want to look too casual in comparison. Otherwise it's a perfect setting for a linen/cotton suit.

Comment

Also, don't mean any offense, but WHO HAS AN OUTDOOR WEDDING IN GEORGIA IN JUNE!? I think if you wear a linen/cotton suit you will be among the more formally dressed at the event.

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                            Also, don't mean any offense, but WHO HAS AN OUTDOOR WEDDING IN GEORGIA IN JUNE!? I think if you wear a linen/cotton suit you will be among the more formally dressed at the event.
                            None taken. That was my initial reaction too.

Comment

They are worth it even at full price. For the $75 you can get one at, excellent deal. They look great (I have the Deep Water color), are light and cool in the summer when worn with the right dress shirt, and don't wrinkle like full linen. Seriously, don't worry about wrinkles with these. Perfect for an outdoor wedding, just be smart and do not pair it with a non-iron shirt -- non-iron shirts seem to retain way more heat than normal shirts. Pair with a must-iron poplin shirt instead.

You'll find you get way more use out of it than you'd think. Because they're fairly informal, you can break them up -- I wear both the coat and pants of mine in orphaned form more than I actually wear them together. I've worn mine everywhere from the mall, to a happy hour, to a professional conference (held at a resort on the beach).

One mild warning on fit -- the slim fit isn't exactly the same as a ludlow slim fit when it comes to the jacket. They fit a little bigger. If you wear a 40R in a slim ludlow and want the exact same fit, you probably need a 39R in the unsuit.

Comment

Working...
                              X