Resole my AE Pennys or go Carmina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resole my AE Pennys or go Carmina?

I posted a while back about debating whether to buy a new pair of casual loafers or to resole my AE's. I would do a JR resolve and replace the heel block because the AE one sounds like a high heeled shoe due to the fiberboard (?) block.

I stumbed upon these Carminas on sale and was wondering your thoughts. Suede quality differences are much less than calf skin so im just not sure the Carminas are worth it. Thoughts?

If not, is there a shoe you would recommend instead? I wear these often with jeans (polo or tee shirt) and shorts (polo or tee shirt). I would want something in that same vein.

old thread for reference: https://threads.dappered.com/forum/s...r-replace-them

Carmina Pennys: https://www.carminashoemaker.com/pen...aca-kudu-80646

I recently had some vintage Florsheims resoled with JR soles and Triumph toe taps. Cost me $190. A new pair of Carmina shoes for $231 seems like a real deal to me, even if you pay less than I did for resoling.

Edit: Now, looking at your particular loafer, the AE Sea Island--I'm wondering why you would put JR soles on them. Kind of like putting $3,000 worth of tires and wheels on a used car that is worth $2,000. Which I've known people to do--but I don't understand why.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; June 25, 2020, 08:40 PM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
      I recently had some vintage Florsheims resoled with JR soles and Triumph toe taps. Cost me $190. A new pair of Carmina shoes for $231 seems like a real deal to me, even if you pay less than I did for resoling.
      Im thinking the resole will run me 170 at Trenton and Heath. I guess i may have shipping on that too. With that said, i think the JR soles may last longer and be higher quality than the Carminas. I keep going back and forth lol.

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post

Im thinking the resole will run me 170 at Trenton and Heath. I guess i may have shipping on that too. With that said, i think the JR soles may last longer and be higher quality than the Carminas. I keep going back and forth lol.
        I've been wanting a pair of Carminas for quite some time--so, that's what I'd do.

Comment

J Fitzpatick has a new line in that price range with a suede penny loafer.

https://www.jfitzpatrickfootwear.com...on-cumin-suede

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post

I would keep the ones you have for a few reasons. First, do you know how this Xim last fits? Loafers are a pain to get right online and I assume your Sea Islands are comfy now? It would be annoying to spend days/weeks wrestling with a new last, adding heel and tongue pads, etc. Second, we justify the costs partly by "Well, better to buy nice and buy once," and part of that means resoling until the uppers vaporize on me. But that's just me. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the AE's as "cheaper" suede. It's CF Stead. That's pretty much top of the line, no?

You're also opting for some expensive options: JR soles done by Trenton/Heath are theoretically top of the line, but these are such casual loafers that I bet a a local cobbler can slap on a pair of Vibram or Dainite soles for a fraction of the cost and you wouldn't notice the difference. There's nothing particularly magical about JR except that they're a neat option for purists that is almost as good as cheapo rubber. And I'm sure the Potter & Sons guys do good work, but how much you wanna bet a lot of their premium is solely (ha!) because they're hunky guys with suave accents and a slick YT channel?

BTW how are the soles attached? I was under the impression that the Sea Island was cemented. Can a cobbler even remove the sole without damaging the upper?

And I hate to introduce new wrenches into the machine, but since you asked, have you taken a look at Rancourt? They're pretty much the authority on all things handsewn, no?

Comment

Those Carminas look sweet! I wouldn’t fault you for those.

https://oakstreetbootmakers.com/penn...vetail-toplift

I don’t own these, but I have a pair of but loafers and calf penny loafers from them that I love.

I am curious if the Sea Islands will be recraftable. Their website says they are not.

Comment

The resole costs as much as a new pair of Sea Islands, which are currently on sale for $179. Brand new Carminas are an extra $50 at $231 with its current sales price. Personally, I would purchase the Sea Island's brand new since you already know the fit. My second option would be the Carminas - though I agree with stuffedsuperdud that sizing could be challenging. Ultimately, I wouldn't pay $175 for a resole on a shoe that's already fairly affordable brand new.

Comment

I have been to Trenton and Heaths shop several times, and had them do some work on my Grant Stone Penny Loafers. They do solid work, they're shop is beautiful and they are awesome dudes. I took a pair of shell cordovan rancourts that rancourt had messed up resoling to see what they thought. They gave me an honest answer, saying they could do the resole, but the leather would eventually rip, and there's no way too really fix that. Because of this, I am a fan of them, and their prices really aren't unreasonable.

It might be better to just have trenton and heath put a topy on. They have plenty of colors, the one they put on my grant stones matches the edge really well so you can barely tell its there. The AE may not be as nice as the Carmina, but on a sustainability standpoint, its better to resole a shoe you already own rather than buying a new one. Additionally, they've already molded to your feet and you know they fit. The carminas are sweet, but they don't have the closed channel stitching and slightly beveled waist I love on most leather soled carminas.

I would just try for a topy+ heel+leather heel stack for around $100 + shipping. Add in toe taps if you want.

Comment

OP now that I read closer it sounds like you don't actually need a resole, just new heels. That's something any local cobbler can do easily for pretty cheap.The Topy option would also essentially give your cemented soles infinite life since you can just keep on replacing the topy as necessary, but I don't know if it is a good idea to do it on already worn soles, since the cobbler would have to make sure he shaved them evenly, but it might worth inquiring about. I'll repeat though that for the Sea Islands, the JR soles are probably an empty gesture / waste of money (but I'm a Dainite guy and not a purist, so YMMV).
                    Last edited by stuffedsuperdud; June 26, 2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X