Managing car key fobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing car key fobs?

I recently got a new(er) car, to replace one I had that was old enough to vote. And possibly drink.

My old car had a simple key, not even a chipped one, just a slab of metal. But my new one is a key fob, with alarm, wireless transmitter, remote, all that good stuff.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to manage that without adding unnecessary bulk in my pockets? Are there any products that hold a fob and house keys in a more elegant way? All the key holders I see on Dappered, or just in general don't really seem to have room to easily manage the volume of a fob.

Good question... since I struggled with it myself (still am) I have my fob and fob from my wife cars. We often swap cars due to daycare situation (at least before pandemic) so I was forced to carry two. What I end up doing was to get this for my keys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H7WTA7M/
    and attach the fobs with this: https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-S-Bi...dp/B00BKVPU08/

this way, when i can simply detach the fob that I need and put rest into my bag or leave it in the car, and walk with just one fob in my pants. Looks good and does not bulge

Comment

I'm not sure there's a solution if you want to keep the FOB in your pocket...nothing you put the FOB in is going to reduce the size of the FOB, which is the source of the bulk - it'll only add bulk.

Something you can attach to your a belt loop on your pants would reduce pocket bulk but isn't necessarily a style improvement.

Push button entry and locking is nice but honestly I don't know why car manufacturers though fobs were a major improvement over keys. Maybe they make theft more difficult? We had a fob go bad on our car and replacing it was a pain in the ass, and not cheap. We had to order a replacement at a hardware store, wait several days for that to arrive, then they had to program the new fob which took like 20 minutes, then cut the key (the "keyless" fobs actually have a hidden key embedded in them for cases when the fob goes bad). And it cost well over $100 (and is probably multiples of that at the dealer) and took an hour what with two trips to the hardware store and the programming and key cutting process. Chipped keys were the happy medium IMO - not as bulky as a FOB, still gives you push button locking and unlocking, and starting a car with a key is not any more inconvenient than push button start IMO.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by dc_slicker View Post
        Good question... since I struggled with it myself (still am) I have my fob and fob from my wife cars. We often swap cars due to daycare situation (at least before pandemic) so I was forced to carry two. What I end up doing was to get this for my keys: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H7WTA7M/
        and attach the fobs with this: https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-S-Bi...dp/B00BKVPU08/

this way, when i can simply detach the fob that I need and put rest into my bag or leave it in the car, and walk with just one fob in my pants. Looks good and does not bulge
        I have a version of this. I usually keep the fob separate when running errands. I'll keep the old key ring in the side of the door or not bring it on quick errands (my house has smart locks, garage pin pad etc.). The key to me is being able to connect them when needed and just grab the fob separately.

Comment

I have this issue too. Unfortunately I don't have much of a solution. I generally keep my keys in my hand when walking around. Not the best solution because I know one of these days I'll set the keys down somewhere and walk away. Then I'll really be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            I have this issue too. Unfortunately I don't have much of a solution. I generally keep my keys in my hand when walking around. Not the best solution because I know one of these days I'll set the keys down somewhere and walk away. Then I'll really be in trouble.
            Or they'll slip out of your hand at the exact wrong moment and wind up down a sewer grate. In theory the fob bulk is an issue but in practice my pants are generally roomy enough that it doesn't pose any problems for me personally. My fob is a little bulky but the Opinel pocket knife I carry most days takes up more space than the fob.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I approach it the other way. I only carry my car key fob. the rest is on a keychain in my work bag or center console. I use the garage door opener to enter my home and I only gran the key for the car I am driving at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                I'm not sure there's a solution if you want to keep the FOB in your pocket...nothing you put the FOB in is going to reduce the size of the FOB, which is the source of the bulk - it'll only add bulk.
                Yeah, but something to hold them in a way to make better use of space would reduce the bulk in the pockets. Something to more efficiently store it, with less wasted space. Obviously holding keys in a flat layer takes up less space in the pocket than sticking out every random angle. Something like a holder with the keys side by side with the fob perhaps.

Comment

Yeah, I've found no good solution. I tried a KeySmart, which organizes the metal keys and lets the car fob hang off the end, but now I'm in an apartment with a thick plastic door key (which needs to be detachable so that I can use it to enter the garage)... Right now I have a key clip from Gustin (https://www.weargustin.com/store/acc...key-clip-cxl-8) which I like but is quite bulky. I've given up---if I'm in a situation where I need to be wearing a suit, my keys go in my briefcase.

Comment

As some others have mentioned, I go the route of key fob (and key if it has one) only. I hate extra bulk in my pockets, so I switched to a very slim wallet (shout out to Mitchell Leather) and key fob only years back, and I'll never go back.

I leave my house keys in the car, somewhat hidden in the console. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I don't see a reason to lug around your house keys once you're out and about. The only issue would be if for some reason you go home without your car for some reason (thinking uber from a bar), you have to plan ahead for things like that. There's also the slight concern of if your car gets stolen you might have to change your locks. But you could also lose your whole key set while you were out at that bar too and be in the same boat!

Comment

Digital Keys. They will allow us to lock/unlock the vehicle, start the engine and even share access with other drivers. It's still in its infancy, but more automakers are adopting digital key technology and baking it into their new models. Volvo, VW Group, Hyundai, Tesla and others are already onboard. Apple announce yesterday that its upcoming version will work w/ the 2021 BMW 5 series, for starters.

In the meantime, we'll just have to live with those pocket fob bulges...
                      Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

I have a holder very similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Swive.../dp/B00UBFQUPS. Though mine was bought from a member of another forum several years ago. I have a loop of aircraft cable that my car fob hangs on. Doesn't help with the bulk of it, but it keeps all of my keys together.

Comment

Honestly, If I was in your position, I would have bought some simple jewelry (not an expensive one. just a stylish rock) and add some walmart one metals on it to lok stylish. I won't go after some fancy thing to look it worse. Just keep it simple.
                          Last edited by jrjong; June 29, 2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                            I approach it the other way. I only carry my car key fob. the rest is on a keychain in my work bag or center console. I use the garage door opener to enter my home and I only gran the key for the car I am driving at the time.
                            Same here. My Saab has a key with the fob built in, and that goes right in my front pocket. No keychain, nothing else. My work car has a little fob and the house keys, and that goes into a jacket pocket in the winter, or into my work bag.

Comment

Working...
                            X