Charcoal blazer with navy pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charcoal blazer with navy pants?

My understanding is that the blazer should generally be a bit darker than the pants, like navy blazer + chino or medium gray pants.
    However, I've been wondering if I can throw on a charcoal blazer with my workhorse navy dress pants if I need to dress up a bit, kind of like this.

The pants color is darker than blazer, but not so much that it looks way too bottom heavy. And I think that there is enough of a color contrast for people to tell that you're not wearing a mismatching suit.

What do you guys think? Could this work, or would I be better off sticking with tried and true navy blazer with gray pants?

Most people would agree that the blazer must be darker than your pants way of thinking is pretty antiquated. In my opinion you should be fine with the color scheme in your pic. That being said, I think a lighter shade of grey would look even better with navy pants.

Also I’m not sure if the tie is part of your plan, but personally I’d lose the tie if it is. To me a tie with just a blazer instead of a suit has always looked out of place. It reminds me of a preppy schoolboy uniform and not something an adult male should be wearing.

Comment

Nothing wrong with going northern lights - but you do need some contrast between the blazer and pants. Navy + charcoal is not an ideal combination either way IMHO.

Comment

Agree with abh - a lighter grey than charcoal is needed for this to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
          Nothing wrong with going northern lights - but you do need some contrast between the blazer and pants. Navy + charcoal is not an ideal combination either way IMHO.
          Yeah, I've done light gray casual blazer with dark blue/navy chinos and it's OK (jeans would work too, but I don't have any).

Comment

Northern lights looks great, but go with a lighter grey than that.

Comment

Working...
            X