Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-sole Allen Edmonds Sea Island or Replace Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-sole Allen Edmonds Sea Island or Replace Them?

Have a pair of brown suede AE Sea Islands and the heel stack is kinda crappy. It is a particle board, pretty hard, and kinda noisy on some surfaces. The soles also seemed to wear faster that I expected. I just looked and they are a "performance butyl sole". With that said, i love the shoes. They are a great looking casual penny.

I am debating whether to resole them (blake stiched so have to use independant cobbler) or replace them with something else. Kirby Allison resole will do full JR soles and heel block for 225 but that is about what i paid for them - maybe more. Potter and Sons is about 170 or so if i replace the heel blocks and full JR soles.

What would you do? Would you replace the pair of shoes, or spend the money to replace the soles / upgrade the heel blocks?

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...RoCNLcQAvD_BwE

I would not pay $170 to resole those... You could probably find a local cobbler to do an adequate job for under $100. Also, new toplifts can be had for around $20 if that's what you need.

Comment

You can get a new pair now for $160. I would do that before replacing the soles.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
        You can get a new pair now for $160. I would do that before replacing the soles.
        And that is where i was kind of hung up but here is where i get stuck. The materials are sub par and wear out quickly. a new sole and better block would likely last much longer and therefore need less in the future. Am i nuts here?

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post

And that is where i was kind of hung up but here is where i get stuck. The materials are sub par and wear out quickly. a new sole and better block would likely last much longer and therefore need less in the future. Am i nuts here?
          Not nuts at all. If you've got a pair that you like, that you've broken in to your foot, and (importantly for AE these days) that isn't defective, I'd say it's worth paying the same for a resole that you would for a new pair. Especially if it's true that the replacement soles will outlast the soles you'd get on a new pair.

Comment

Working...
          X