Brooks Brothers likely to close remaining U.S. factories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brooks Brothers likely to close remaining U.S. factories

Not surprising, but a bummer. Sounds like BB as a whole is positioning itself for a sale - hopefully something works out to keep these factories going, but doesn't seem likely.

https://www.ivy-style.com/silence-of...s-by-july.html

https://www.ivy-style.com/shirts-off...d-factory.html
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Just saw this as well and sent it to Joe. Unreal. I never though I'd see Brooks Bros. close US factories, but I bet the guys in the 80s said the same thing about them selling out then, too.

Times change I guess.

Comment

This was overdue; Brooks Brothers clothing is vastly over priced. For too long they've relied on their brand heritage to sell lower to middle tier products at upper tier prices. I get it that some customers value the Made-in-America tag, but it's increasingly obvious that not enough consumers value it to create a sustainable business model. Maybe now BB can either increase the quality of their products to justify its steep price or they can reduce prices to be more in line with the competition and the products they're actually selling.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post
        This was overdue; Brooks Brothers clothing is vastly over priced. For too long they've relied on their brand heritage to sell lower to middle tier products at upper tier prices. I get it that some customers value the Made-in-America tag, but it's increasingly obvious that not enough consumers value it to create a sustainable business model. Maybe now BB can either increase the quality of their products to justify its steep price or they can reduce prices to be more in line with the competition and the products they're actually selling.
        I haven't bought any BB shirts in a while because I don't like the fit, but how is paying $50 for a MiUSA OCBD vastly overpriced?
        Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post

I haven't bought any BB shirts in a while because I don't like the fit, but how is paying $50 for a MiUSA OCBD vastly overpriced?
          The ones from Garland NC were set at $140 a pop until recently, when they started panic-selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post

Because they’re not $50, they’re $140. And there is nothing about the quality of the shirt that is worth $140, especially when I can get a similar quality shirt from Uniqlo for $40. And yes, the fits are atrocious. They’re way too oversized.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Origi...efault,pd.html

Comment

And while I’m on the topic of bashing BB, I hate how their website provides so little information about the construction and materials of their products. They want me to pay premium prices without even telling me if the product is worth the premium. I’m sorry but I’m not mourning the decline of BB. They’re stuck in an antiquated business model in a world where competitors have lapped them on price, fits, quality, and transparency. Relying on heritage and superficial nationalism is not an economically sustainable business model.

Comment

The Brooks Brothers website is one of the best available, anywhere.

Comment

Because they’re not $50, they’re $140. And there is nothing about the quality of the shirt that is worth $140, especially when I can get a similar quality shirt from Uniqlo for $40. And yes, the fits are atrocious. They’re way too oversized.

Comparing Uniqlo and Brooks Brothers is a bit of a stretch. I understand if you think Uniqlo offers a better value for the price but they're no where near the quality of Brooks Brothers. Now if you compared Spier and Mackay oxford shirts at $45 to Brooks Brothers at $140 then I would agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                    The Brooks Brothers website is one of the best available, anywhere.
                    https://www.brooksbrothers.com/1818-...os=2&cgid=0522

What type of leather is used? What is the construction? They think high end consumers are supposed to be impressed by "Italian leather"? That's a marketing gimmick I'd expect from DSW or Aldo to make their low-tier product seem more premium than it actually is.

Comment

BB has its problems, but I don't think their relatively small number of MiUSA products being over-priced is one of them. $100+ for a MiUSA OCBD is a pretty common price point across a range of manufacturers, and likewise what they charge for made in the USA ties and suits doesn't seem out of line. If one doesn't want to pay the premium for domestic goods generally, that's one thing, but Brooks' USA-made stuff doesn't stand out as being expensive relative to other USA-made products (their imported stuff is arguably a different story).

I think their bigger problem is too much expansion - too many locations with all the costs they entail, too many products that have diluted any core "Brooks look," the perpetually-on-sale model to support it all. Someone over at Ivy Style made a comment to the effect that they never decided whether they wanted to be a heritage brand vs. a high-end mall store, and I think there's some truth to that.
                      “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
                      "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post

Comparing Uniqlo and Brooks Brothers is a bit of a stretch. I understand if you think Uniqlo offers a better value for the price but they're no where near the quality of Brooks Brothers. Now if you compared Spier and Mackay oxford shirts at $45 to Brooks Brothers at $140 then I would agree.
                        You're correct that SM is a more apt comparison, but that still proves my point: that is a $100 difference for identical quality. MIUSA is not worth that $100 difference. BB simply can't justify their prices when there are competitors providing far superior value.

Comment

I always shop out of their clearance section. The made in US oxford shirts are great for 50 or 60 bucks. I'd pay 100 for one, probably, which is cheap for a US made shirt. I don't buy Chinese made clothes, if possible.

Comment

You're correct that SM is a more apt comparison, but that still proves my point: that is a $100 difference for identical quality. MIUSA is not worth that $100 difference. BB simply can't justify their prices when there are competitors providing far superior value.
                            I wouldn't say identical quality. My BB OCBDs are still nicer than my SM OCBDs. Spier & Mackay offers incredible value but some also value goods made in the US. As Sideswipe mentioned, $140 is on par with other retailers offering made in US shirts. I can certainly appreciate why its more expense to produce locally than in Asia.

I think outlets also hurt Brooks Brothers. Having an outlet is counter intuitive for a brand positioning themselves as a high end retailer. The average consumer would rather go to the outlet for inferior quality but identically styled products than pay more for the real deal. Most people don't see a difference between outlet quality and mainline quality so they end up going with the cheaper option which dilutes the brand.

Comment

My uniqlo shirts are paper thin and fall apart after ~5 washes. If you think MIUSA is pointless and not worth paying for you're perfectly entitled to that opinion, but separate that from the actual business model and cost of MIUSA shirts. If BB's MIUSA shirts were really overpriced garbage at $100 (why are you looking at BB full price? They routinely have sales of at least 25% off) you'd see other makers come in and undercut them. Gitman, Ratio, Proper Cloth, etc. all come in at $100 or higher.
                              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Working...
                              X