Blazer/Sportblazealsocoat Purchasing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blazer/Sportblazealsocoat Purchasing Advice

Due my indecisiveness and inability to go to a store to actually try on clothes, I come asking for the following advice: what should I do with my recently purchased navy 42S slim wool Bonobos blazer?

Before I just made this purchase, I only had two blazers/sportscoats: a navy 42R wool legacy JCrew blazer and a deep water 41R cotton/linen unsuit JCrews sportcoat (both in Ludlow size)

My initial idea was to try on the Bonobos blazer and if I liked it I would sell the navy JCrew legacy blazer for something else. I figured that since I recently changed jobs and don't need such a formal blazer as often I can sell it if I prefer the Bonobos blazer. Plus, it's a little long on me and slightly bulky at the shoulders (lost weight over the last year or two). I honestly think it fits fine and nobody in the real world would notice but I do.

Anyway, so the Bonobos navy unconstructed blazer comes in the mail this week and I love it. Honestly, perfect length at the bottom and the sleeves. Only possible tailoring might be a little in the waist but that's it.

So now I'm ready to try and sell the navy legacy JCrew blazer ... but I just can't bring myself to do it. From a practical standpoint, it's great to have at least one blazer with some structure and the chest piece on this thing fits me perfect now after wearing this thing over the years. Yeah maybe don't need to wear something so polished every other day now with the new job but nice to have. And this is the Lori Piana super 130 Merino wool version too from a few years ago, it's not like it's easy to find again if I end up selling and regretting it. Plus, from an emotional stand point, I got this blazer for like $110 during one of those midnight JCrew coupon errors back when I was broke and looking for something nice for job interviews. I can't just get rid of this thing now.

So now I'm resolute in not selling the navy legacy JCrew blazer but I really like the Bonobos unconstructed one. Feels a little ridiculous to me to have two navy blazers though. I was thinking of maybe exchanging for the same Bonobos blazer but maybe in a lighter blue. I started looking at the bright navy option but man does it look really bright and shiny on their website: https://bonobos.com/products/unconst...=bright%20navy

The only other options I was thinking were to go grey (but I already got the "deep water" unsuit sportcoat that is fairly grey already) or brown (but there is no brown right now). Basically, I'm torn between keeping it (two navy blue blazers) or exchanging it for either bright navy or grey, or just returning it and waiting until fall hoping they release a brown.

So, does anybody have any advice or am I just a crazy person? If anyone can confirm whether the bright navy Bonobos unconstructed blazer is not so aggressively bright as it looks online I would appreciate it. Thank you.

I'm wearing the J Crew blazer you referenced as I type this, and I can report that it is simply awesome. They got it right that year, and the cloth is exceptional. A man can never have too many navy/blue blazers and sport coats, IMO. The Bonobos is a standard color, and fine.

Comment

I don't know how bad is the fit issue. If it's that bad, sell it.

If it's a question whether you should keep a formal blazer, I'd say keep it. In general, a formal blazer will give you a better silhouette and you'll look sharper. Don't be afraid to be the sharpest looking guy in the room.

Comment

"If it's a question whether you should keep a formal blazer, I'd say keep it. In general, a formal blazer will give you a better silhouette and you'll look sharper. Don't be afraid to be the sharpest looking guy in the room."

Sorry just to clarify: I fully intend to keep the formal blazer. (And honestly, the fit is fine.) I'm debating what to do with the unconstructured navy Bonobos blazer. Swap for the "bright navy" or grey, or just return and maybe hope a brown comes along in the fall, or just keep it and I got one structured navy blazer and one unstructured one.

Basically, I like both navy blazers I currently got, just looking for recommendations on possibly exchanging the Bonobos one for a different color while I still can (or refund and wait to buy different color down the road).

And yes, I know I'm being a little neurotic.

Comment

1) First of all, there's nothing wrong with having two navy blazers - it's a versatile color. But that depends on your budget and how often you wear blazers.

2) If it doesn't make sense for you to keep both navy blazers, I would exchange it for another shade of blue (I don't think the "bright" blue is that bright) or wait for a brown - the deep water (which I also own) seems to have you covered on grey. Bonobos generally has at least a couple of brown options in their unconstructed line.

3) If you don't want to wait and see whether Bonobos rolls out a brown option that you like, another option would be Spier, whose sportcoats are cheaper and (IMO) at least equally good quality, and who currently have at least a few browns: https://www.spierandmackay.com/Categ...tion_values=17

Comment

Originally posted by Rand81 View Post
            "If it's a question whether you should keep a formal blazer, I'd say keep it. In general, a formal blazer will give you a better silhouette and you'll look sharper. Don't be afraid to be the sharpest looking guy in the room."

Sorry just to clarify: I fully intend to keep the formal blazer. (And honestly, the fit is fine.) I'm debating what to do with the unconstructured navy Bonobos blazer. Swap for the "bright navy" or grey, or just return and maybe hope a brown comes along in the fall, or just keep it and I got one structured navy blazer and one unstructured one.

Basically, I like both navy blazers I currently got, just looking for recommendations on possibly exchanging the Bonobos one for a different color while I still can (or refund and wait to buy different color down the road).

And yes, I know I'm being a little neurotic.
            Sorry for misunderstanding; it was a lot of paragraphs.

If you're in this early stage of building your wardrobe, you need to explore other colors. So, exchange it.

Navy works for many people, but it's not necessarily the best color for many. We have your complexion to consider here. Lighter shade of navy could be better; blue could be better. I like brown, too. Grey sport coat--I got one, but won't get another.

Comment

I have a SuitSupply sport coat in a similar color to the bright navy and it is quite versatile. You wear it like a normal navy sport coat and people wouldn’t really notice unless you are next to someone in a true navy. It is slightly less formal, but sport coats are less formal by definition.

Comment

Working...
              X