Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black or Brown?

Hi,

I am building my wardrobe and want to know whether to go with black or brown leathers (jacket, belt, shoes and boots). Personally I don't like earth tones and prefer more white, black, gray tones. My ideal wardrobe would be something like this:
    • T-Shirt colors:
      • White
      • Black
      • Dark Green
      • Dark Burgundy
    • Shirt colors:
      • White
      • Black
      • Navy
      • Dark Grey
    • Jeans colors:
      • Dark Blue Indigo
      • Black
    • Dress Pants or khakis colors:
      • Dark Grey
      • Light Grey
      • Navy
    • Suits colors:
      • Dark Grey
      • Navy

Im interested in purchase a leather jacket and a pair of work/casual leather boots, but cannot decide on the color that suit me best. Currently I've 0 boots, three dress shoes (dark brown, light brown, black) and 2 sneakers (white and blue).

I know you are busy person and I sincerely thank you for sharing a bit of your time in helping me with this matter.

Brown is more casual, and thus more versatile. Black is more formal, so if you want to wear it casually you have to pay more attention to the design, so that the cut or detailing takes it down in formality.

That said, a leather jacket is inherently casual, so it's mostly shoes and belt you'd have to tone down if in black.

I generally don't see a lot of black work boots, but jumper/parachutist/military-inspired designs are often made in black (since most militaries have issued black boots at some point) and are rugged enough to be worn casually. A black suede chukka could also work. Black casual belts are almost a contradiction in term; you'd want something wide and pebble-grained since mens' braided leather belts seem to have disappeared.

Grey leather or suede could work, except with the grey pants/suit

At the end of the day, you have to buy what you like and not what you think you should wear, or it will inevitably get relegated to the back of the closet under the category of wasted money.

Comment

I was more into work boots or casual boots combined with a racer leather jacket outfit. (something similar to hank moody style). I like both colors. I don't like earth thones. (except dark green and dark burgundry). I like brown with blue a lot, but it most of the clothes colors mentioned above seems to go better with black. Taking your recommendation about belts!

Comment

If you're wanting a more casual look (which it sounds like you are), I think brown is the better choice. Like Galcobar mentioned black tends to be more formal looking even if the items themselves are designed to be casual. I only own two black items. One pair of black dress shoes and one black belt. The only times I ever wear either is when the dress code calls for something more formal or muted (like a funeral).

That being said... if you really prefer black over brown then get black. After all you are going to be the one wearing it everyday so it's important you like what you're putting on.

Comment

Don't be afraid to mix black and brown in casual outfits. Black jeans and brown work boots look pretty good together. I think a brown cafe racer jacket would work just well as a black jacket with most of the color combos you listed above. Except for the dress pants and suits. But I don't think you'll be wearing a leather jacket or work boots with a suit or wool pants. If you feel more comfortable in black then go with black but brown definitely works with black and dark grays.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndrew View Post
            Personally I don't like earth tones and prefer more white, black, gray tones.
            you answered your own question. Don’t buy something you don’t like because the internet says you should. About the only place black shoes might not “look right” is with khaki chinos - and that is even debatable.

Black will look fine with the colors you call out.
            Mark

Comment

Can I pair a black leather jacket with brown boots? I like boots in brown and the jacket in black. The only boots in black I like are those black suede chukka boots galcabar mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ndrew View Post
                Can I pair a black leather jacket with brown boots? I like boots in brown and the jacket in black. The only boots in black I like are those black suede chukka boots galcabar mentioned.
                I don't see why not. But I think what's most important is to buy things that you like, and you can see yourself wearing with the other things you own. To that end, I'd shop for these things somewhat separately. Go with whichever jacket you like the most, that you see yourself wearing with other things you own, not just the boots you have yet to buy. And get the boots that fit best with your style and wardrobe - they don't have to match the jacket. Leather boots and jackets are usually investments that you expect to last a long time, and you won't always wear them together!

I would however probably get the belt last, in the color of the leather shoes you wear most. It's not a big deal, but I like having a nice brown belt that I wear basically all the time, since I rarely wear black shoes. If I do wear black shoes, I have a cheap black leather belt for that purpose.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in boots, but work/service boots often come in black. I don't like the look of Red Wings in black personally, but I have seen black and dark grey leathers from Truman that look really good. I think the lighter colored welt helps.

Comment

I am looking for boots like these, work boots or desert boots

And for jackets either racer or bomber:

Comment

Working...
                  X