High Price Doesn't Mean High Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Price Doesn't Mean High Quality

I hear the adage "you get what you pay for" a lot in online menswear talk and I've never quite bought into it. Hype inflates prices and sometimes it makes sense to pay less for something. In my opinion that applies to shoes more than anything else in my clothing choices. I have a few pair of Thursday boots, a few pair of Velasca and Jack Erwins, too (I also have some AEs). Often, these brands get criticized for not having a heritage like AE, Red Wing, Alden, Viberg, et al and essentially called garbage by the snob crowd. I think I'm old enough not to measure how I feel about something based on popularity, but I know I'm not mature enough to pass up a chance to mock an overrated product. In this case, the Common Projects sneaker.

This shoe gets recommended whenever someone is looking for a plain, white sneaker. It nails the minimalist look, but my BS detector tells me that no pair of sneakers for be $400+. A YouTuber, Rose Anvil, produces videos where he cuts open shoes to look at the materials. He recently did a video on the CP sneakers and it confirmed that the shoes probably aren't worth the asking price.

The video and channel is worth a look, but the point here is to look at some products that you think might not be worth the price. What are some purchases that you've made that turned out to be less than wise choices in terms of price to satisfaction?

https://youtu.be/FnZSyDaTwZs
    Last edited by batkins9; May 7, 2020, 06:27 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

[QUOTE=batkins9;n428701]I hear the adage "you get what you pay for" /QUOTE]

i believe this is meant to illustrate the inverse, ie "you pay a cheap price you get cheap quality", not that if you pay a high price you get high quality, as most people realize that isn't true with all the fashion brands out there. it's important to put in the research. saw this vid yday and it was interesting, but it sounded like the guy even thought the CP was worth the sales price around 275ish, just not worth the 425.

Comment

My "less wise" purchases were of things I wanted but when they hit my closet I didn't wear much. Usually a bold color or pattern that just didn't work with my standard wardrobe. I have 2 best bang for the buck items. 1. JCP OCBD. These were popular on the site in 2012. Mine has finally worn in and is super soft, the only issue is the collar size but I still wear it. 2. Old Navy cardigan. For like $10 it gets a ton of wear.

Comment

In regard to shoes, once you reach a certain point, I've found there is definitely an issue with diminishing returns as you spend more money. Sometimes I think about shoes like I do cars. A $100,000 car isn't usually five times faster than a $20,000 car and it won't transport five times more people. But I've purchased expensive cars because I admire the looks or enjoy the performance, workmanship or the cool high tech gadgets. That's kind of how I think about shoes.

With clothing, I've found that there can be little correlation between quality and price--especially when it comes to the construction of the clothing.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
          In regard to shoes, once you reach a certain point, I've found there is definitely an issue with diminishing returns as you spend more money. Sometimes I think about shoes like I do cars. A $100,000 car isn't usually five times faster than a $20,000 car and it won't transport five times more people. But I've purchased expensive cars because I admire the looks or enjoy the performance, workmanship or the cool high tech gadgets. That's kind of how I think about shoes.

With clothing, I've found that there can be little correlation between quality and price--especially when it comes to the construction of the clothing.
          Remember seeing this https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...oe_dissection/ and now that I have both, I like both, but did/would not pay full price for Oak Street

Comment

This reminds me of a comment from Derek at Put This On a while back (https://putthison.com/the-shoes-i-we...find-useful/):

"I love Margiela’s zip boots for their silhouette ... As it often goes with designer shoes, however, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The leathers are often thin and treated; the soles glued on. Buying them in suede helps, but guys who are sticklers for quality may be left feeling cold."

I mean, their boots cost $1,000, so what's up with that?

Quality costs, but not always as much as we're led to believe, and high cost doesn't always mean quality.

Comment

I think/hope most of us realize that CP is greatly hyped, albeit for a good reason, where the price is inflated and has been hiking up consistently over the last few years. That said, I do appreciate his hard work in flushing this out completely. Now if this guy would do a similar job on the new batch of youtuber approved white sneakers such as koio, greats, crown northhampton etc., he would be my hero.

Comment

I think you have to separate high price items into two categories: 1) High price because of quality and 2) high price because of the brand name.

To me paying more for something because the quality is better is worth it, but paying more just because it is from a certain brand or has a specific logo on it is not. However, I've known plenty of people who are willing to pay 10x the value of something just so they can say they own something from that brand even though they could have gotten something of better quality for half the price from some no name brand.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                  I think/hope most of us realize that CP is greatly hyped, albeit for a good reason,
                  What exactly is the "good reason"?

As for him doing the same for other sneakers, looks like he does what he does based on suggestions from his viewers. In any case, the thrill is in watching something priced high, being brought down to earth. So Greats may not be a good candidate, Koio and Crown though are different beasts.

Comment

As others have already noted, there's "you get what you pay for" quality and "you paid extra for branding" - the quality is certainly there on some branded stuff but you are also likely to pay for the brand name too. And, there are a lot of quality items that aren't heavy on branding but the quality is top notch and they are not super spendy, but may be spendy compared to the cheapest price points. The best are those items that hit an investment sweet spot where you're not paying a huge markup for a brand name but the quality and style is there - the item will last, it looks well constructed and stylish, and depending on your definition the cost is reasonable.

The real cheap stuff really looks cheap to me...e.g. I'll see something online from Old Navy or H&M that looks great on the website but when I see it in person, the cheapness/lack of quality is just really obvious. I really don't buy any of that stuff despite the really low price point. Then, there's crap that's branded that is truly crap but is expensive because of the brand. That's the worst expenditure of funds IMO but some people love certain brands just for the label.
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TheManJournals View Post

As for him doing the same for other sneakers, looks like he does what he does based on suggestions from his viewers. In any case, the thrill is in watching something priced high, being brought down to earth. So Greats may not be a good candidate, Koio and Crown though are different beasts.
                      The good reason, to me at least, is that CP was the first, or the most visible, to push this sleek white minimalist sneaker to mainstream in the last decade and half. This is clearly evidenced by everyone wanting to be a cheap alternative to CP, instead of any other brand/model, as CP price goes from mid $200 to mid $400.

I don't/didn't watch the video for the thrill of some high price item being brought down to earth. Never seen this guy's stuff before so if that's what he's always done in the past, then great. My interest lies in now that we know what CP is made of, let's see what the cheap alternatives are material/construction-wise. I'm no better or worse off whether he does or doesn't do the comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post

I don't/didn't watch the video for the thrill of some high price item being brought down to earth. Never seen this guy's stuff before so if that's what he's always done in the past, then great. My interest lies in now that we know what CP is made of, let's see what the cheap alternatives are material/construction-wise. I'm no better or worse off whether he does or doesn't do the comparisons.
                        Didn't mean to say, he does it for that reason. I am also seeing his video for the first time and am in no position to judge him.

Comment

Yes, i agree. The price of branded items is too high. The quality of non branded products may be same but famous brands charge extra for their name and brand value.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                            This reminds me of a comment from Derek at Put This On a while back (https://putthison.com/the-shoes-i-we...find-useful/):

"I love Margiela’s zip boots for their silhouette ... As it often goes with designer shoes, however, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The leathers are often thin and treated; the soles glued on. Buying them in suede helps, but guys who are sticklers for quality may be left feeling cold."

I mean, their boots cost $1,000, so what's up with that?

Quality costs, but not always as much as we're led to believe, and high cost doesn't always mean quality.
                            My impression is that Derek is actually of the camp of buy what you like with "quality" in and of itself mattering to the extent that it impacts the look, feel, or longevity of the item rather than quality being the end all be all.
                            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by TheManJournals View Post

Obviously we're discussing this on Dappered so I'm aware that the majority of opinion will be in a certain direction, but the "good reason" is ultimately whether you like wearing the shoes, think they look good, and whether they last. CPs obviously have some value attributed to their design / brand, otherwise you wouldn't have all these copycat brands popping up over the past 15 years. In my mind people bemoaning luxury goods like CPs is similar to the argument against high end watches. "I can get a watch that looks nearly identical to a Rolex Sub for a fraction of a price, so Rolex Sub is overpriced and not worth it." Well yes, but you're ignoring the fact that Rolex put in the time and money to come up with the Sub design that everyone is now copying, of course it costs less to make a watch if you don't need to do any sort of design.

Quality obviously plays a part in that in so far as it affects the longevity, how the item ages, whether it's comfortable and durable, etc., but at the end of the day we buy clothes because they make us look and feel good, and therefore the design and "brand" play a big role too. The reason why I think it makes sense to focus on more than just quality is because most people (me included) understand very little about actual quality (that video wasn't entirely accurate either), so at the end of the day the only thing I can reliably go off of is whether it fits well and looks good based on my tastes. Of course we all have our preferences and you're free to value "quality" as the end all be all but that doesn't make other people's preferences any less valid than yours.
                              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Working...
                              X