Leather messenger bag suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather messenger bag suggestions

I am tired of lugging my biker messenger bag(black) which I picked up from a discount bin at REI to work every day and would like to upgrade to something more fancy. Tried taking a look at offers on eBay but was quickly overwhelmed by the different types and I don't trust the workmanship on most of the bags there anyway.

I usually carry a notepad, something to read and an extra shirt(just in case) and occasionally throw in either of my 14.1/12.5" laptop(s) when I need to get some extra work done.

Suggestions?

I like the Fossil bags... especially since they have outlets and you can get amazing deals on them.

Comment

Are you set on leather? Anyways, I like the bags from these pages:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/bags.jsp

Scroll down to Belstaff on this page: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/ingoodcompany.jsp

Comment

Not sure what your price range is, how long you need it to last, etc:

Saddleback has many sizes and colors with a 100 yr warranty. A bag for life. I've tried to find similar leather bags and while I can get close with the look, I can't find ones with the same attention to detail (top quality leather, double stitched, etc). One example: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/cat...-Thin-Chestnut

I can't afford it yet, so I use a XL EOD bag with [second hand] tool pouches attached to the loops:

http://www.countycomm.com/xleod.html

I've wanted a leather bag for years. I got the EOD because it was cheap and tough, and I didn't want to get a mid ranged leather bag only to replace it later. I am a field engineer so I need something that can take a beating.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I am surprised to see a fan of fossil on these boards. I bought my fossil "city bag" at an outlet a couple months ago in hopes that it will hold me over until I can buy/win/receive a Saddleback.

Goodness, I want a Saddleback.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as the thread starter... want to upgrade to something nice... preferably leather.

here are a few I am considering:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62598015...ther-messenger - looks cool and seems to be made with quality leather but it looks a bit too big from the pictures

http://copperriverbags.com/14%20Medi...ger%20Bag.html - looks nice and is at a good price point.

Comment

@Glen Well, it's easy to say Saddleback... Sure, and I want a bespoke suit and an Allen Edmonds collection.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to afford those for a while, which is what dappered.com is all about. I like my Fossil satchel. It's well made and doesn't seem cheap. Will it last 100 years? No, but if I was waiting till I could get a $400 bag I wouldn't have any bag.

Comment

Check out fossil if you are on a budget. If the quality isn't any different in their outlet as their main stores, you could get a great deal.

I bought a leather messenger from a Fossil main store years back and have zero problems with it. Breaking in nicely. Their prices have gone up considerably since though.

Sattleback would be nice. $500 for a messenger is just hard to justify sometimes.

Comment

osiriuso, I've also been eyeing those bags from Copper River as a cheaper, more realistic alternative to Saddleback. If you end up getting it, post a review please. They also feature a 100yr warranty. I can't tell from the images if the leather is tanned all the way through.

I'm glad people have had good luck with some of the fossil bags. I have some watches, wallets and belts from there and the leather has been hit or miss for me. Not sure what you guys paid though; I've seen them in stores for $100-$150 and at that price I think the Copper River bags are a better deal, depending on the aesthetic you're going for of course.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Yeah, the Fossil bags are the same in the outlets, just from the last collection. Same with the watches and wallets. I do like the look of the copper river bags... I'd love to see a review to know how the quality is. Or do they sell through any stores where I might be able to take a look? Right now I've just got a smaller satchel for my ipad and stuff... I'll probably look for a bigger bag for my laptop after the new year.

Comment

According to customer support, the sizing of the Copper River laptop bags (only the 14" has internal dimensions online):

14" Laptop Bag: 10" x 14" x 5"

15" Laptop Bag: 10.5" x 15.5" x 5"

16" Laptop Bag: 11" x 16.5" x 5"

I will probably get the brown 15" Journeyman; on the fence about adding the all-leather strap (comes with a nylon). I will post here once I receive it with a full review.

Comment

Sounds good! I always use a 17" macbook pro, so I'll probably need the biggest one, I suppose. Looking forward to the review

Comment

Looking forward to it. $100 for a good looking bag and 100 yr warranty? Could be a winner.

Comment

Damn the copper river is too legit. Might have to add that to the Christmas list. It is sexy. It made me not even think about the saddleback. 100 yr warranty GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                            I>0<I

Comment

One of the many options from Duluth Pack. I always recommend them. Made in the USA, lifetime guarantee. They have many nice looking canvas ones as well. This all leather one is a bit pricier at $220.

duluthpack.com/business/briefcases-bags/messenger-shoulder-bags/leather-book-bag.html

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                              X