Home furnishings - Wine Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home furnishings - Wine Cabinet

Hey guys; looking for some suggestions. The gal and I are looking at getting a piece of furniture for storage, but mainly something to store and show off our wine/bar.

Here's what we've found: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/organizing-and-storage/bookcases-shelves/sloane-espresso-leaning-wine-bar-with-2-25.5-bookcases/s220925

I'm just wondering if anyone has other suggestions, maybe something cheaper. I live way out in the boonies, so would need to order online whatever it is. Thanks!

If that fits with your personal taste and budget, go for it.

Although, wine should be stored in a dark room at a constant temperature (50-55┬║F), preferably a basement, so the flavor doesn't mature too quickly. I'm not sure what kind of wine you're planning to store there - if it's $50 bottles of imported French reds, then I'd go with the cellar. If it's just a few bottles of $9 Barefoot that you break out when people are over, that should be fine.

What I'm planning to do is build my wine cellar using old wooden wine crates and putting stainless steel frames in them. It'll have this great rustic charm with a modern touch, which is how my wife and I decorate.

Comment

I work in the wine industry and Scrambled brings up a good point. If you want to store wines, you want the temperature to remain cool, you want them out of the sun, and you want to make sure the corks stay moist by either storing the bottles sideways or upside down. My parents have a gigantic cellar, so I am lucky and dont need my own. I just store everything I have for down the road there. As for a shelf or rack to display what is ready to drink or doesnt need aging, I think that shelf is pretty awesome. This is obviously going to be a matter of personal taste, but if you have the space, I think that shelf is pretty cool.

Comment

Yeah, we aren't importing anything from overseas... Some orders from Napa, but mainly local wine and $10-15 bottles.

I was originally wanting something that looked like a mid-century modern console cabinet, that would have those 4 triangle wine racks as wells as room for a small wine chiller... but I couldn't really find anything. I even had the thought to attempt to build it, but that's probably biting off more than I can chew.

Comment

You may be able to adjust a mini-fridge you pick up on Craigslist. I think Lifehacker had an article about it; it doesn't take much, you just need to tinker with the internal thermostat a bit.

Comment

You guys don't have wine cellars?

How quaint.

Comment

Real men drink scotch, don't need a cellar....just a glass.

Comment

Working...
              X