Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress Pant Colors

Hi all,

I'm building a wardrobe from scratch. I have budgeted for 5 pairs of dress pants. I would appreciate suggestions concerning what color dress pants to buy that will provide the most versatility.

Thanks

Solid: Dark gray, navy, light gray, brown or olive (or your can do the next thing)

Not-loud plaid pattern in olive or brown, or a blue/gray subtle patterned pair of pants (again, a plaid, or perhaps a herringbone here)

Also, I'd get year-round weight wool unless you live in a place that is ridiculously warm/humid most of the year (go for tropical weight then), or has frigid winters (get something in like a thick, tweedy material or just a winter-weight wool). And then get one of the opposite weight for the unseasonably warm or cool days. If you need one light, get it in light gray or navy, one heavy - go for a dark gray/charcoal color.

Comment

Similarly to LosRockets, I would start with navy, dark grey, and light grey. Then the other two could be either brown, tan or something patterned. For the patterned pants, I would stick with grey as a base color (unless you just find something awesome elsewhere).

Comment

Joe is doing the $1500 wardrobe this week over at the mothership. Thursday is pants. You could get some good recommendations from that article I'm sure (in addition to the suggestions already provided).

Comment

I endorse all advice above. To add an option, you can also cheat in between patterns and solids by looking for 'nailhead' or 'birdseye' in a grey or navy.

Comment

For patterns, I think a muted glen plaid and herringbone work well, I'd avoid pinstripes (I think they just look odd as standalone pants, but that's just me). Tweed works well also - more interesting than plain solids, get some nice texture to play with, and great for fall/winter if you live somewhere where it gets colder.

Comment

Oh! And going back to material... By "dress pants", I'm assuming you mean wool. If you plan on also factoring chinos into that list then be sure to include some khaki chinos. That's a no-brainer, though.

Comment

I like Lib's suggestion of the nailhead/birdseye if you find a nice grey or navy one. They look awesome.

Comment

Working...
                X