Shoes with a grey suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoes with a grey suit?

What color brown(dark, camel, light) would go best with a gray suit? Not charcoal, but light gray? I was thinking these

http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-...t-calf?zlfid=2

For a medium gray suit, you can probably pull off walnut (if that's what you really want), but a darker brown would be a safer bet.

Comment

Grays and browns look best together when they are fairly similar in shade (i.e. mid grays work with lighter browns and charcoal grays work with darker browns).

So, the walnut Strand will work, or a slightly darker mid-brown. A very dark brown will look a little less good.

Ben

Comment

Is the indochino essential gray If that helps.

Comment

What do you guys think about pairing the Stafford wingtip boots with the JCrew Factory Thompson charcoal suit? I've got a wedding next weekend in Charleston, SC, and this is my first opportunity to wear the Thompson suit. I have a pair of black shoes, but thought the boots might be a nice change...

Comment

I like to keep my shoes at least as dark as my suit. I think the Staffords, as sold, are a little too light to look good with a dark charcoal suit. They might work if you give them the darkening treatment shown here.

Ben

Comment

Any color you want, assuming its medium-light gray. Just dont wear grey shoes...ever.

Comment

verdict?

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
                What do you guys think about pairing the Stafford wingtip boots with the JCrew Factory Thompson charcoal suit? I've got a wedding next weekend in Charleston, SC, and this is my first opportunity to wear the Thompson suit. I have a pair of black shoes, but thought the boots might be a nice change...
                Did you ever try this? I was thinking of pairing literally the exact same combo... perhaps after giving the darkening treatment to the staffords it might help. If so, any pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Madgentlemen View Post
                  What color brown(dark, camel, light) would go best with a gray suit? Not charcoal, but light gray? I was thinking these

http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-...t-calf?zlfid=2
                  With a light grey suit I would personally go walnut or black for shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrown View Post
                    Is this the original charcoal suit or the new one lighter one? If it is the new one I think the Staffords darkened up wouldn't look too bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bremersm View Post
                      Is this the original charcoal suit or the new one lighter one? If it is the new one I think the Staffords darkened up wouldn't look too bad at all.
                      This is what I was asking - I have the charcoal thompson circa Christmas 2011, and the staffords with black polish en route. I think it will look all right, but I wanted to see if sabrown had any pics or if he went that route at all, as I am thinking of trying this look coming up

Comment

http://putthison.com/image/40527310846

Comment

Burgundy could be an interesting alternative to the more recently popular walnut.

Comment

Originally posted by pdxkyle View Post
                            Unfortunately "brown" comes in a few shades -- I do like their image for this though.

I think you can wear just about anything with a medium grey suit and walnut strands look good with the color, as would Chareth's burgundy suggestion. A darker brown is more conservative than both and would work as well. Black is probably the most classic choice, but may be pretty dapper too. Classic looks done right are hard to argue with.

BenR's rule of thumb isn't universal, but many people subscribe to it. Whatever you choose, just make sure you're happy with it and can wear it with confidence!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan3 View Post
                              Any color you want, assuming its medium-light gray. Just dont wear grey shoes...ever.
                              Nonsense, grey shoes are fantastic.

I even wore some grey wingtips with a grey glenn plaid suit for a fancy wedding last year and received quite a few compliments on the outfit, such as the woman who gestures towards me and says to her husband/boyfriend "See, how come you wont wear something like that once in a while?"

Branch out a little, save the "rules" for job interviews and court dates.

Comment

Working...
                              X