How close is too close - tailoring w/ functional buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How close is too close - tailoring w/ functional buttons

I have a blue blazer that I love and it fits me extremely well except at the sleeves. I really need to take them up maybe 1/4-1/2". Problem is the jacket has functional buttons.

So much question is, how close is too close when it comes to buttons on the sleeves? I'm afraid that once I get them taken up, the buttons will be pretty close to the edge of the sleeve. I know you can shorten the arms at the shoulder, but that's considerably more expensive and not worth the expense on this jacket.

How many buttons does it have? Since it's not uncommon to open up the first button to show the world that you've got surgeon's cuffs, maybe that would give you some breathing room.

Comment

three buttons.

Comment

Since the sport coat only has 3 buttons, I would try my hardest to keep all of them. It also depends where do you like you coat sleeve to end and how much shirt cuff do you like to show.

I would leave like 1/2" if you can. You may have to sacrifice that exact spot you want your sleeve to end, but you keep the functionality of the sleeve cuff. If it is a cheaper sport coat, this may be your best option.

I face a similar dilemma with a BR sport coat I bought but I think I will be opting for the shortening at the other end since I did spend like $250 on. I might as well get the coat how I want it since I intend on having it quite a while.

Comment

Working...
        X