Tie bars vs Tie clasp/slides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie bars vs Tie clasp/slides

Hey fellas - I own a couple of tiebar.com tie slides, and while I like them and they do a decent job of holding my tie in place, the fact of the matter is it drives me crazy to have squeeze the bars together/open them up depending on the tie I wear. As you might expect, the slide, once you open them up a little, really don't like to come back together. So.... I'm back to considering tie bars, but I've always been iffy about them because of those darn teeth ruining my dress shirt or tie (at some point). Is this much ado about nothing or perhaps they have tie bars out there without those dreaded teeth (at the cost of holding your tie down better)?

I have a couple different tie bars and the teeth have never done anything to my shirts...? I think you must be imagining the clasp to be a lot stronger, and the teeth a lot sharper, than they actually are.

Ben

Comment

BenR - could be. I used a tie bar that my father owned years ago, and the teeth were very sharp (ie, it could do some nice puncture damage to a finger if given the opportunity.

I knew with the clasp that it wouldn't be as firm holding my tie as a tie bar, but I was hoping to avoid the aforementioned damage.

Comment

Think this through: would anyone use tie bars if they damaged ties?

I use tie bars regularly and they have never caused any damage to my ties.

Comment

Well, good point; but then again, why would someone smoke cigarettes if they were known to cause lung cancer? To each his own....

Comment

I was also thinking more that the teeth would cause damage to the inner placard of the dress shirt you would be wearing that day...

Comment

I wouldn't sweat it - I have worn Tie Bar bars (probably wayyyy too much) for 2 years. at least weekly, and probably more days than not, per week

I have had more issues with Tie Bar ties falling apart than their bars ruining anything of mine! just my two cents.

On a separate, but closely related note (and perhaps I could get a thread started on this) I have had more issues with shirts for buttons falling off and white shirts getting a little discolored under the arms... now that stuff (IMHO) is much worse than part of my shirt that cannot be seen by anyone but myself

Comment

the bar appears so much easier to use since you're not simultaneously holding it open and lining it up the way you would with a clip. The thing holding me back is the semi sharp teeth on the back. The gold GQ featured bar looks safe though? I currently own the jcrew factory clip and from seeing it at the store, an employee had one, it will eventually get stuck open.

Comment

I wear Tie Bars quite a bit. They've never ruined a dress shirt HOWEVER, I had them ruin a tie. I was in a hurry and just tried to slip the tie out as opposed to squeezing the tie bar open and it ruined one of my favorite ties. It grabbed a thread and pulled it out.

Moral of the story. ALWAYS open the clip before removing.

Comment

I've had no problem with tie bars ruining ties.

@goterps I actually own one of those J. Crew Factory tie clips (I worked at one over this past summer and picked one up with my employee discount) and I have yet to have it get stuck open, though I can certainly see it happening with any tie clip if used enough.

Like anything in your wardrobe, especially shoes from what I hear, the more common you use something the faster it will wear out, hence the reason I currently own 3 tie bars and 2 tie clips.

Comment

I use both a tie bar and a slide. I greatly prefer the bar because it doesn't move around as much and I haven't ever noticed any damage to my ties or shirts.

Comment

Working...
                      X