Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is going tie clip + collar pin + cufflinks overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is going tie clip + collar pin + cufflinks overkill?

I have a serious thing for collar pins and I'd like to sport one but I already wear a tie clip and all my shirts are for cufflinks. Is having the full set on overkill?

I think so...Tie clip and tie bar together is a lot. But to each their own. You may be able to get it to work.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
    -Maximus

Comment

Overkill. Stick with the tie bar + cufflinks

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
      #StayDapper

Comment

I like to go pretty simple with suit accessories. Just a tie bar. No cuff links, no tie pin, no lapel pin, no pocket square. At some point, too many suiting accessories makes you look more dandy than dapper. The point of a suit is to be simple, elegant, and conservative. Accessorize accordingly.

Ben

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The point of the suit is to show respect for the place you are visiting, not showoff your accesories. However, two things I want to include is a collar pin and a pocket square. Can I work cufflink into this aswell or would that be too much?

In general, what do you think about collar pins?

http://www.tailorinstyle.com/wp-cont...pin-collar.jpg - to me, a killer look. I'm a fool for these, can't lie.

Comment

It seems like anything more than a watch + 1 of the accessories mentioned above would be excessive. I would generally suggest that anyone under 35 not wear cufflinks unless it is a formal occasion. Could just be me though.

Comment

I know where you are coming from. I see collar pins on men in period movies and television shows and I think "damn that looks great. I wish I could pull that off." Unfortunately, I just don't think there is any way I could. You may have different results. Maybe it just requires enough people to do it and do it well to take it from "who are you trying to fool" to "look who's bringing back the awesome classics...." Unfortunately, I just don't think I have that kind of trail-blazing in me.

All of that said, it's pretty hard to argue with Mr. Sterling here:

Comment

Well, to be specific it's prom that I'm planning my outfit for. Oh and also, while I'm at it - is prom a black tie or can I sport a, say, navy suit or w/e?

And bac to accesories - until this moment I thought wearing cufflinks was a must on a formal occasion like that. Can I do without them?

Also, here's that kind of look that I'm hoping to pull off when going collar pins:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9_mEXtCPq0...g-distance.jpg

http://www.onthestick.com/images/52.png

http://cdn.static.ovimg.com/episode/119253.jpg

From "Walking Distance".

Comment

Collar pins are really hard to pull off in this day and time without looking like a costume. Particularly if you aren't a rich old guy.

Only recent memory of someone in our time pulling it off pretty well is Percy from "Nikita" (CW tv show). http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-E...berkeley-4.jpg

Comment

I generally stick with the tie bar, pocket square and lapel accessory trifecta. Tie bar and collar pin is redundant and "try-hard" so to speak. It would also throw off the balance of your outfit as the eyes would be drawn to your tie and your tie alone.

Comment

Double post

Comment

@statesboro Prom is not really a black tie event. BUT you could go in "black tie". IMO I would buy your tux. Renting is fine but for not that much more you can buy. I am only 5 years removed from my prom, and I remember seeing how bad everyones suits fit. But if you can buy one and get it tailored, you can stick out in a good way. And a decent tux isn't that expensive anymore. And it'll last you years due to not wearing it all that much.

That being said...having fun is most important. You only get one prom. But remember to stay respectful and classy.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
                        -Maximus

Comment

I honestly don't consider cufflinks a show off accessory, unless they are very flashy, not one person noticed my cufflinks when I had my jacket on. However when I took it off I did get quite a few compliments on my iron man mask cufflinks so I'd say don't worry too much about them, pocket square is a nice classic touch IMO, just keep it in a simple shape if you're worried.

Comment

Does a collar pin require a specific collar type? As in, with special holes in just like the cufflinks?

Comment

Working...
                            X