"ring around the collar" prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"ring around the collar" prevention

I am sure everyone is aware of what "ring around the collar" is. Its gross and embarrassing and usually leads to the early retirement of shirts. Here is a pic for those who do not know what I am talking about:

http://teleburst.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/how-to-get-rid-of-ring-around-the-collar.jpg?w=630

Does anyone know of any products to prevent this? Anyone have any tricks to prevent this? There are various tips listed to treat it online, but what are you guys doing to prevent it?

try shout advanced Gel. it works wonders

Comment

+1 on the Shout. And if you're washing a load of whites, also toss in a scoop of Oxyclean.

Comment

Don't know how you prevent it, but I know how to get rid of it.

Make sure you wash immeditely after each wear. I use Clorox 2 Stain Fighter & Color Booster. Rub some in on the collar and let sit for about 5mins, then throw it in the wash. Tumble dry low and pull out the dryer while a little damp and iron.

Works for me...but every one has their own thing.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
        #StayDapper

Comment

Ok gentlemen,

I think I may have stumbled upon something. http://www.advantagewear.com/garmentguard/wc01.html

Disposable collar guard. I just ordered some and they should arrive in the next 7 days or so. I will test them out and let you guys know if they work or not.

Comment

@Ryan Seems interesting, but could get expensive over time. As myself and @Alan mentioned, just try different washing techniques. But the key is to wash after a wear and not wear the shirt numerous times before you decide to wash it.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
            #StayDapper

Comment

My aim is prevention. I am experimenting in ways how to treat it but I would much rather prevent it.

Comment

Well I tried those anti-grime strips for the first time yesterday and so far so good. I will keep everyone updated.

I tend to wear my shirts until they get dirty. Washing shirts after each wear is no good for the fabric, so I try to only wash when they get dirty. Usually I get a quite a few wears out of them except for the inside of the collar gets nasty after a couple wears.

I will keep everyone posted after my shirts get a few more wears with these anti-grime strips.

Comment

Gentleman, I am the original poster, ryan3. I had to create a new profile when the forum changed.

Anyways...

I can attest to the anti-grime strips that I purchased earlier. I have worn my shirts several times without washes in between or replacing the strips and no "ring around the collar" to report.

You just cut a strip, place it on the inside of the collar, and it stays for quite some time. They do not fall off after one wear, which is great.

I do not like to wash my shirts that often because too many washes can do some damage to the fabric, so I only wash my shirts when they get dirty, not just because I wore them once. These strips have been great so far. They stay on the collar longer than I need them to, I just remove them when I am ready to wash the shirt. So I can wear my shirts several times without washing and not have to worry about grime on the inside of the collar.

Comment

This is from A Suitable Wardrobe and has worked well for me: "An extra-dry neck also adds years to a solid white shirt: before dressing, swab your neck with an alcohol-soaked cotton ball, to remove any oils the shower may have missed. It may seem like overkill, but in the summertime it can save your shirts. This little trick will visibly cut down your ring-around-the-collar, almost by half."

Comment

Originally posted by SDot View Post
                      Don't know how you prevent it, but I know how to get rid of it.

Make sure you wash immeditely after each wear. I use Clorox 2 Stain Fighter & Color Booster. Rub some in on the collar and let sit for about 5mins, then throw it in the wash. Tumble dry low and pull out the dryer while a little damp and iron.

Works for me...but every one has their own thing.
                      if you wash your shirt after each wear, won't that ruin the shirt with too many wash? unless you hand wash just the ring of the collar only.

Comment

I'm a wear once then wash person. I can definetely detect a musk if I try to wear it twice. Unless it's just to run an errand for an hour or two. Then I might hang it back up. But that's not the norm. I treat my collars (and cuffs and armpits on occasion) with the aformentioned "spray and wait 5 minutes" laundry product. I have enough shirts that the same shirt only gets worn every 10 days or so which might help. But if I was so worried about losing a shirt due to persistent washing I would make sure I was okay with the expense beforehand. In other words, you probably won't catch me wearing a $200 shirt so I could care less.

Also, cold water, light detergents (The common version of Tide and the like are quite harsh), air/iron dry.

Comment

Perhaps a bit elaborate, but PutThisOn has a good system http://putthison.com/post/441812762/cleaningshirts

Comment

Originally posted by jackbauer24 View Post
                            if you wash your shirt after each wear, won't that ruin the shirt with too many wash? unless you hand wash just the ring of the collar only.
                            Yes. Too many machine washes will ruin the shirt. Thats why I sought alternatives to prevention.

Comment

Working...
                            X