Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earmuffs

Hello all,

I have a 20 minute walk to campus everyday that can be a bit chilly on the ears. I got frostbite last year and am hoping not be such an idiot this year. I get bad hat hair as it isn't a short cut and like the idea of earmuffs. However, I have yet to see a pair that would look GOOD with with a classically style coat, such as a peacoat. Has anyone come across a nice set? Most of the ones I see are the fleece wraparounds.

Thanks,

David

The 180s are fine, imo.

Comment

I use 180s, or a beanie if it's really cold, and restyle my hair if necessary. Function trumps fashion in winter.

Comment

I bought a pair of the behind-the-head style for my mom once... they had a sort of heathered charcoal grey, knit wool exterior. They looked fine to me.

Honestly, though, as Trash said, function trumps fashion in this regard. If you literally got frostbite, just wear a hat. Something with a windproof membrane and a knitted wool exterior should be a good combination of warm and weatherproof. When you get to campus, fix your hair in the bathroom if you need to. Endangering your health for the sake of preventing hat-head is never a good strategy.

Ben

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm not against wearing a hat or the 180s if that is what it comes down to; frostbite is not fun. I got it last year when I watched three full buses pass me by extending my planned 5 minute exposure to 40.

If I can rephrase, I would love to to find some earmuffs that *ADD* to what I am wearing; the equivalent of the the wood-handled umbrella.

Comment

They should be subdued, I think.

via tsb:

From now on keep a very thin windproof cap (think like this but without the logo) in your coat just in case.

Comment

as many mentioned before, the 180s are the best option. If you have a nordstrom rack near by, check it out. They usually carry them for around 12-15 bucks. Also check amazon/ Sierra trading post - they have many different patterns. Living in NY, I find the 180s a better solution than wearing beanies, since personally my ears get very cold, very fast and beanies just don't provide enough insulation. I have a brown herringbone patterned pair that look nice and most importantly are very warm.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/180...r-men~p~4801d/

Comment

Earmuffs are for girls as @BenR mentioned he bought his mom some lol. Simple as that. Grab a beenie and call it a day.

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                #StayDapper

Comment

For some reason I thought this post would be about our favorite Curse Words...ala OldSchool.

Comment

Those are for girls. The 180s are for anybody. They aren't training bras.

Comment

"One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                      #StayDapper

Comment

Red Devil, I think you have a winner. All the 180s I saw up till now were pretty bad looking, that herringbone looks good! Thanks so much.

Comment

This thread had me rolling. First the Oldschool reference, then the purple earmuffs, and finally Sdots post.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
                          -Maximus

Comment

@ Dpdk - you are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                            X