Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred G. Unn
    replied

If you're in or around NYC, definitely check out Century 21 for ties (& shirts).

http://www.c21stores.com/index.cfm/f...eLocation.home

They have a great selection of heavily discounted ties including everything from Tom Ford and Brioni down to no-name brands. If you're not in the city, NM Last Call is my favorite spot for discounted ties. There's always the Tie Bar too, but with this storm you aren't gonna be able to count on it coming by Friday.

(Actually I guess you aren't in the city, or you could just go to one of the CT stores in midtown for the shirt.)

Leave a comment:

• bvaghela
    replied

that putthison article was helpful - thanks fred.

i plan on hitting up marshall's - thanks alan!

dapperedcpa - i'm in new york and we have that freak storm coming through right now so that tailoring will have to wait

Leave a comment:

• dapperedcpa
    replied

If the shirt is making you self conscious, you can easily walk into a few Tailors shops this week and find one that will quickly slim the body and sleeve (all they do is flip it inside out and sew it slimmer, most of the time, which only takes 10 minutes of actual work). Shouldn't cost you more than $15, sometimes $10, and you should be able to find one who can get it back to you in a few hours or 1 day max.

Long run you're better getting some shirts that fit right, but $10-15 is worth the confidence boost if you need it.

Leave a comment:

• jonATL
    replied

I thrifted the perfect interview necktie a while ago, but I sold it. I really should have kept it.

It was this, in red: http://www.jpressonline.com/neckwear_emblematic_detail.php?id=TIE5511/84

It's not really subtle, but it makes a point.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied

Put This On did a great series on ties a while ago:

http://putthison.com/tagged/The-Necktie-Series

Start at the bottom of the feed and work your way up. Be sure to check Part III: Starting Your Basics and Part IV: Expanding Your Collection.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

As for ties... Any dark silk tie should work fine. Stick with dark, possibly muted colors and avoid busy patterns. if you don't own such a tie, Marshalls has tons of cheapies.

Leave a comment:

• bvaghela
    replied

ah, good call with keeping the jacket on. any recommendations for ties?

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

It would be kind of weird to take your jacket off in the middle of an interview, anyway....

I agree with everyone else. Just live with the baggy shirt now. You can upgrade or tailor later. It won't matter for a formal interview.

Leave a comment:

• Lib
    replied

Now you can order your CT shirt unencumbered!

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied

Ditto on both counts. Leave the jacket on and you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Lib
    replied

To ease your panic: don't take off the jacket. Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

Unless it super baggy in the chest, don't take off your suit jacket and you'll be fine! good luck!

Leave a comment:

• bvaghela
    started a topic last minute interview

last minute interview

hey fellas, so i just found out i have an interview this friday(!). i have a decently fitting alfani suit from macys (dark navy with subtle, hardly noticeable blue pinstripe). this suit will do - i bought this and another charcoal suit that needs the pants hemmed during one of macy's black friday sales a couple of years back. i don't wear suits often enough to go shop for a new one but i suppose i should look into getting a new, better fitting one eventually.

anyhow, i need a white shirt and tie. i have a white merona dress shirt but it fits pretty bad - very baggy in the torso and sleeves. any recommendations?? i would love to get a CT shirt but don't have enough time for the shipping.

also, i plan on wearing burgundy cole haan cap toes.

thanks in advance.

Working...
X