Geology career question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geology career question

After a recent post about law school, I thought there may be someone here working in my field who could offer advice. I'm currently finishing an honors degree in geochemistry and am looking for a career in either mining or oil and gas. I was wondering the merits of a masters degree on career prospects, as you can get your professional certificate without it. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

My advice (from reading that other thread): don't go to law school.

Comment

@BB, that advice made me laugh. I would be considering a masters in geology as well.

Comment

geology rocks!

Comment

I had to take geology in college. It was my senior year. The first day our teacher said..."Lets get started, the first thing I will teach you is the actual definition of a rock". She lost me then and there. If we are defining a rock, I can not take this seriously. No offense to those you are geologist or in that field. I know what you guys do is much more exciting than this and a whole lot cooler. I am an accountant and rocks are not my friends.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
          -Maximus

Comment

You could make a real killing if you can live in North Dakota for the next 5-10 years and save up. Lots of geologists working out there straight out of college, no advanced degrees. And the scientists working on the actual rigs usually have housing provided for them - much better than the poor speculators living in tents and RVs. People out there are raking in the dough. I know guys who just drive truck for the gas companies out there and make $200,000/year. Unfortunately, a lot of the guys raking in the big bucks are going out and blowing it on cars, boats, drugs. But if you play your cards right, you could get yourself set up for life.

If my current post-grad law job falls through, one of my fallback plans (fairly far down the list, but still) is to live in my grandma's north-central North Dakota cabin and draft oil and gas leases until my eyeballs bleed. I'd have a place to live and I enjoy endless winters, so I could probably survive for a few years that way before bailing and coming back home to the Rocky Mountain West.

Ben

Comment

Oil and gas: many of my college friends went into that. They were just ChemE B.S. students. Making high 5, low 6-figure jobs out of college. They plan on using their employer to go back for a graduate degree in the future but right now, they're doing great.

Comment

Working...
              X