Shoe Soles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe Soles

So I noticed some talk about getting boots re-soled, and I was wondering what considerations should be put into the sole of a shoe. I didn't know there was much difference until I started trying on more high-end boots, but I wouldn't know when to wear or not wear them. So basically, what types of soles are there and what kind are best for what conditions?

Leather most of the time. Dainite for winter if you walk in the rain and snow. Crepe for casual comfort. Vibram for more rugged boots.

Resoling is only relevant if you're paying over $200. Resoling costs $50-$100 depending on construction style.

Never pay more than $200 for a shoe that can't be resold. Goodyear welt construction is what you'll find on most affordable resolable shoes.

Comment

Alternatively, you can get your soles topied, which will give them a thin rubber coating on the sole. This way you can just replace that as needed instead of replacing the entire sole.

Comment

So what about some Wolverines? They come with the Goodyear welt, but something might be better?

Comment

The wolverine 1000 mile is good. Their cheaper lines not so much.

Comment

Working...
          X