Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casual belt recommendations

Gents,

Looking for a new casual belt option for jeans and chinos. I have a semi-casual workplace but I dress nicely. Usually I wear jeans and chinos every day, typically with a button up, oxford, or as it is cooling, layered with a sweater.

The main problem I am finding with more casual belts is their size, very wide with huge buckles. I'm just not a fan. Ideally I'd like something sort of rugged looking but not gigantic or western-y. I realize these are some pretty specific desires. Price-wise, I'm thinking maybe in the $40 range? Requiring a larger size, probably 42 has also limited my selections.

Tough task I know, but suggestions would be appreciated, thanks guys!

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

http://www.narragansettleathers.com/belt114.html

http://www.orionleathercompany.com/3...3370govblk.htm

Comment

Thanks Juan!

Just saw another thread on a similar subject.

Comment

I actually have a bit of recent experience on this from some non-traditional sources. I was frustrated with low quality belts available at the usual outlets and spent a lot of time cruising the net and came upon a handful of handmade to order leather belt makers. These are the three I bought from and some thoughts....pictures and more information available if you so desire. The nice thing about all these is that the whole thing is made to order so length is never a problem.

leathergoodsconnection.com - I bought a 1.5 inch harness leather belt. I mainly purchased because their site was easy to use and really walked through the options (even though the site itself is laid out poorly). The belt is great quality, very well finished, and exactly what i asked for. That said, the color was significantly different than what i thought it would be (very orange) and the thickness might turn some off. Good for jeans, bad for chinos and shorts.

dountmournorganize.com - This guy goes by Scott (aka Unlucky) on styleforum and is recommended all over the place. His website doesn't allow for ordering, so that is all completed via email and paypal. However, take a look at his blog and you are sure to be impressed. I bought a natural color, wicket and craig steerhide belt for use with my raw denim. This thing is BURLY. Easily the thickest belt i have owned. The quality is nice, but not quite as refined as the leathergoodsconnection one listed above. However, the look and feel is exactly what i wanted. If you want more refined, with contrast stitching or other accents, i am sure he can help you out. One thing, the roller buckle he included is crappy. I suggest having him make the belt without a buckle and use chicago screws for attachment.

Summit Creek Dry Goods (Etsy) - his handle on styleforum is Zissou and has a similar following as Scott. This was the winner. Absolutely gorgeous. Great weight without being very thick. Excellent stitching. High quality buckle. This is where i will buy all my belts in the future. He lists his standard options on a style forum.com thread and on his Etsy page, but he can do other special order stuff as well. I will quote someone else on the styleforum thread "I don't always wear belts, but when i do, i prefer Zissou."

Let me know if you want pics.

Comment

Cool, thanks very much MD, appreciate it. What kind of prices are we talking?

Comment

Costco is selling men's full-grain leather belts for $20. A brown casual style and a dressier black. They feel like good quality stuff.

Ben

Comment

Nice BenR, thanks for the heads up, I may go check that out.

Comment

$50 - $65 depending on who you go with and options. Some do some crazy stitching and embossing that i would assume is extra. Sure, its double your standard $30 Gap belt...but well worth it.

Comment

for casual cloth belts, Bonobos has nice belts. kind of on the pricier side considering they're cloth but they look real nice.

Comment

+1 to the Costco belts. Bought the brown one as a casual belt and it looks and feels great. It's not as thick as some of the other ones posted here, but I've never been a fan of very chunky belts in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X