Suit pants leg opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suit pants leg opening

Anyone have a guess how wide the leg opening is on the typical suit in a GQ photoshoot? For example the "after" photo in the latest before and after series on their site:

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201211/project-upgrade-washington-dc-capitol-hill?currentPage=2

I have read on previous posts that 7 inches across when lying flat is very skinny, but I have a ludlow suit and its about 7.5 inches across and the fit isn't anywhere close to the GQ type of look. I feel like I'd need to get maybe 6-6.5 inches across to get that fit but I'm afraid of going below 7 just based on previous posts I've read.

It varies on body type. What is snug to one may be flapping in the breeze to another. The trousers in the GQ shoot are also hemmed very high (the 'flood pants craze' some would say) which eliminates any break at the leg opening and also adds to their slim profile.

If that's the look you want, take that picture in to a tailor and ask for their advice, or pin the trousers yourself until you are satisfied. Don't calculate based on others' numbers. Instead go with what looks best on you and what you are most comfortable with.

You might also be surprised how much of a difference an inch (0.5x2) of fabric can make.

Comment

Thanks Lib. I agree with you on the flood pants craze. I'm not sure I'd have them hemmed quite as high as they are in some of the GQ pics, but I think the small leg opening looks neat

Comment

Agreed, and no problem.

Comment

Everything *is* coming up Milhouse, though.

Comment

Working...
          X