Patent Leather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patent Leather?

So I've been following the thread on <a>Groom's Shoes</a> started by Dan.Lish. I didn't want to hijack the thread; lots of good replies.

Is most everyone here against patent leather for formal occasions? I mostly see patent leather shoes on people who rent tuxedo's (excluding the square toe's on work mates). I was fortunate to buy my tux second hand for almost nothing and I wear it about once a year. When I wear it, I feel like my shoes (something like these, different brand) bring down my outfit. They're polished to a shine but they still look dull (boring?)in comparison.

I recognize you can only wear patent leather shoes (like the AE's above) in rare occasions so maybe it's just not worth owning any? Or I could just be used to seeing them in that setting and associate them with formality? Discuss.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

I was told patent leather and tux is correct, though not necessary. The shoes are supposed to be shinier the more formal it gets according to the tux place I went to a while back.

Comment

Yea, you guys are right...the patents are mainly for extremely formal occasions. I need a tux and am waiting for a thrift store purchas hopefully. I think the PL shoes are fire when worn to the proper occasion. I dont think Dan.ish really needs the patents though. Since he is rocking a notch, and tie.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

patent leather with tux is "technically" correct, but IMO, there is no reason to have patent leather shoes. There are a whole lot of cheap patent leather shoes out there that look to plastic-y or cheap, that get scuffed easily, and that you'll very rarely wear.

I would much rather invest my money in a nice pair of simple, plain or cap toe, closed laced, black oxfords, and have them shined nicely, but not patent leather. Those are acceptable to wear with a tux, and you'll more than likely have better looking shoes than all the jokers with their rented patent leather kicks

Comment

I'm flattered that i started another conversation here.

My whole idea when thinking about my suiting decisions for my wedding was to have something to use after-the-fact. I wanted a nice black suit to wear when the occasion called for it. The same goes for the shoes. I want a nice pair of black cap toes to wear when i need to get really dressed up.

Comment

Working...
          X