Cold weather wedding conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather wedding conundrum

So I am attending a wedding in Park City, Utah in early December. It will be cold but since I'm flying I don't want to bring a bunch of coats and was thinking of perhaps a layering option under my suit.

I''ll be wearing a dark gray herringbone suit from Brooks Brothers and a pattern/colored shit and tie combo, most likely a dark red striped shirt and dark red knit tie.

The suit isn't three piece and I was wondering if there was a way to layer a vest, maybe a sweater vest of some kind in there? Obviously it would have to be on the thin side. I'm not a sweater vest fan generally so I doubt I'd get much use of it outside of this.

Any suggestions? Suck it up and be chilly for a few minutes?

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

I've never been to Park City, but I imagine it's similar to the ski town where I grew up - it could be cold as sin (-20F) or relatively warm (30s-40s). Winter weather in the mountains is always a bit of a crapshoot.

You will want to bring gloves, a hat, and possibly a scarf, regardless of the forecast, because it will get cold at night. If the forecast is for mild weather, bring along a relatively thin, insulated puffer jacket (they are available cheaply at Target). It can be rolled up and packed into a small space but will provide some decent warmth. You should be able to layer it over or under a suit jacket. If the forecast is for balls cold weather, just suck it up and bring a real coat. You will be happier and more comfortable that way.

Ben

Comment

Thanks BenR.

I'm not unaccustomed to cold weather so I'll be prepared, and yeah, it might be cold-ish or freezing, you're right. I've got a scarf, peacoat and such. I was more just looking for input on the actual layering with the wedding day suit.

Comment

I would just suck it up. If you layer, I think you could get warm while inside. If you're looking for something to wear instead of an overcoat, maybe a scarf would be appropriate? It doesn't sound like you'll be outside long. Just a thought. GQ seems to love this wear-a-vest-under-your-suit thing. I still don't think you'll need it since you'll only be outside briefly.

Comment

Layering that keeps you comfortably warm outside will make you uncomfortably hot inside for the wedding. I'd recommend planning on wearing an actual piece of outerwear, not for the wedding itself obviously, but for the to-from. Presumably, the wedding and reception venues will have some form of coat check.

If the forecast is for mild weather (upper 30s or higher) you can probably get away with a scarf wrapped around your neck and tucked into the front of the jacket, especially if you'll just be hopping from heated vehicle to heated building and not doing a lot of walking or standing outside on the wedding day.

Ben

Comment

I see nothing wrong with a sweater/sweater vest underneath the jacket. I have rocked a black and a grey sweater vest underneath a herringbone jacket to formal winter dinners. The herringbone is a charcoal, so black or grey are safe plays.

I think a fun play for a ski town would be a fair isle sweater or sweater vest... but that's just me. Could be risky, but it could be entirely legit if done right. and instead of a puffer coat, i think a puffer vest would be awesome on top. i have seen that 'look' showing up a lot lately, and i kind of like it.

of course, fair isle OR puffer... not both! or a scarf - again, i am into the fair isle for a ski-town feel.

Comment

Good thoughts guys.

j.r. - love your idea of a fair isle, I was actually thinking of that myself. Just don't know how much mileage i would get out of a FI vest and probably wearing a full sweater under my suite would be a bit much.

Comment

Working...
              X