Fall wedding (guest) attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall wedding (guest) attire

I married in the fall myself, but this will be my first fall wedding as a guest. I don't want to call too much attention to myself, but when I see an outfit I like, I want to rock it. I want to look good, but I want to be respectful, as well - the night is not about me.

That being said, I purchased this shirt and was planning to wear it as shown in the picture - tie bar, black knit tie, and the Factory Thompson suit (in charcoal). I think it looks elegant and tough and represents the scruffy, outdoorsman vibe that I often subscribe to. I have been told by people that I "put the 'casual' in 'business casual'.. but it works"

Is this too loud? Too much of a winter look? Is mid-November too soon? Should I avoid it altogether?

It is the second image shown here on Tim Olyphant from last winter in GQ. Thoughts?

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/...yphant#slide=2

Rock it. I don't subscribe to the notion that a guest can overshadow the bride/groom at a wedding. In my mind, it is impossible. I'm less traditional than most, though.

You'll want to take into account what your wife will be wearing from a color perspective. You don't have to match, but she'll thank you for dressing in a complimentary fashion.

Comment

Well - tbh, I've never been a fan of black on red. They are both very bold, harsh colors, and together they can seem a bit overbearing. I feel like the black tie, red and black shirt, charcoal suit will all turn out looking a little... Darth Maul-ish.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a buffalo plaid shirt for a fall wedding (especially if it's not going to be a black tie affair). I'm just not sold on the particular combo you're planning.

Ben

Comment

I appreciate the insight thus far, gentlemen.

Good call regarding my wife's dress. I need to be prepared to make a change, because she will likely change her mind at the last minute... so that is always something to consider!

@BenR - I totally get what you are saying. Behold the editing power of GQ... I really like it in that picture, but I will have to see how it translates in person. I was planning to possibly substitute the shirt with a bold purple gingham check spread collar - again, depending on what the Mrs. wears. I am just trying to make sure I have a wardrobe with some flexibility well in advance.

Comment

"I don't think there's anything wrong with a buffalo plaid shirt for a fall wedding (especially if it's going to be a black tie affair)."

@BenR -- missing a "not" in the parenthetical? or sarcastic... or serious, which would be worrisome.

Personally, I don't care for the look, but don't think it's too much of an issue so long as you won't be overly casual compared to the rest of the wedding.

Comment

@hornsup - Yeah, missed the "not" and just edited it back in. I started out writing "especially if it's going to be a casual wedding" and then changed my mind without fixing the whole thing apparently....

Ben

Comment

I was wondering about that, myself, but I kept out of it to be polite. :-)

Comment

Glad you all are so on top of my editorial mistakes. :-P

Ben

Comment

Nothing wrong with that look IMO but I do think the purple gingham would look better.

Comment

I love the look but not sure about for a wedding. In a previous thread I commented that wearing something a little bit different, fun, or at the very least some color was definitely something I supported (and was chastised by some for it) but I think this might be a touch too much.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

@Alan -- thanks for the backhand there, sir

@BenR -- no worries, I've just seen some opinions on wedding attire lately that have been pretty disparate, so I wasn't 100% sure although I assumed it was a mistake (and also wanted to clarify for others reading).

Comment

Another possible way to tone it down is to wear a plaid shirt with a little more white in it and then pick a tie (knit, wool) that matches a color in the shirt, like a more muted red (burgundy, maroon maybe).

I was actually thinking of wearing something similar (also with a shirt from Uniqlo) and tried to get a picture but the colors came out looking too bright.

This is pretty close though: http://www.gq.com/video/gq-rules/200...rts-with-suits

Comment

@hornsup84: LOL I never meant my comment to be back-handed (or even fore-handed, or that matter). But anythnig to rile a longhorn, right? ;-)

Comment

@Max - I like the look in that video. good call. thanks for the tips, everyone.

At the very least I now own a buffalo check shirt that I scored for 19.99. Still a victory!

Comment

j.r. - I have a black and red buffalo check shirt that I wear all the time with denim, its a cool look.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                              X