Shirt pockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirt pockets

The title of the pretty much says it: lets discuss shirt pockets. Love them? Hate them? Indifferent?

I'm going to start out talking about OCBDs, dress shirts and sport shirts: please feel free to discuss other types of shirts as well.

Obligatory request:

Let's keep things civil. Express your opinions and explain why you feel the way you do, but lets stay away from too much of the back and forth. Everyone is going to have their own opinions and excessive arguing won't change that.

Now... ONWARD!

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Love them, use them with the exception of flap pockets, which look bad even on work shirts.

Comment

Personally, I'm not a fan of shirt pockets in most situations. To me they look a bit sloppy and add an unneeded element to an otherwise clean look. I feel that pockets bring the formality and of most shirts down a notch by making the garment look less svelte. For my money, I'd much rather control the formality of my shirts via pattern, material, texture, etc.

The only time I really LIKE pockets is when they come in twos on a plaid shirt and maybe on a chambray. Still, in both cases, given a choice I'd probably still go pocketless the majority of the time.

Moving back to a discussion of single pockets, I just can't think of a situation where I would opt for one given the choice. I don't use them to carry things, and I dislike the way they look.

I'll end with two questions:

1) For those who are of a similar mindset as me, where do you typically look for your pocketless OCBDs, dress shirts, etc?

2) Can a pocket be removed by a tailor without making the shirt look awful? I've considered this many a time, but never have bothered to get the answer. For instance, I really like the Gap Modern OCBDs but they feature the notorious single pocket. Could I have that removed?

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Casual/Sport shirts = pocket(s). I like them because it gives me somewhere to put my sunglasses if I'm not wearing a blazer or coat. EDIT: OCBD's fall into this category for me.

Dress Shirts = no pockets. More of my recent dress shirt purchases do not have pockets.

That said, I really don't care if my dress shirt has pockets or not but my casual/sport shirts should have pockets.

Comment

I only have one casual button shirt that doesn't have a pocket (OCBD from Ratio) and I rather like it. I don't mind casual shirts with pockets, especially those that blend in pretty well. I have one button down with a flap pocket and I mainly keep it because I like the color a lot. I prefer t-shirts with no pockets.

I really don't like pockets on my dress shirts.

@diversification if you have an old shirt it's easy to try removing the pocket with a seam ripper. As long as the fabric isn't too delicate the holes should disappear in the wash.

Comment

For actual dress shirts, when given the choice (Ratio), I've opted for no pocket. Cleaner look, I typically am wearing a sportcoat/blazer, so already have pockets, etc.

For casual buttondowns (oxfords, slightly less formal dress shirts, etc.), I do enjoy having one pocket on the front. I'm with Jared, I put my sunglasses in there (call it the old frat in me), sometimes my airplane tickets, etc. No pens/pencils though. ever.

I also don't wear any shirt with flap pockets and only have a few flannels that have buttons on their pockets (not sure I like it, but not sure I care either, since they rarely get used).

Comment

I hate hate hate pockets. Most times they're un-proportional to the shirt.

Comment

Has anyone had success finding a place (besides a MTM or MTO) type place that consistently makes shirts without pockets? How about OCBDs without pockets? I've seen them before in the wild and they look great, but I can't seem to find them online...

Honestly, I may just buy one of the new OCBDs from the Gap and see if I can remove the pocket myself... If not perhaps a tailor can do it.

Comment

Most British shirt merchants (like CT) don't have pockets on their dress shirts and most of their sport shirts.

Comment

Comment

If you have a seam ripper you can remove pockets without too much difficulty

Comment

As I have given more and more attention to details like the fit and style of cloths, the more I have come to dislike pockets on any shirt. The same is true for collar stays, I will do my best to not buy a dress shirt that does not have them.

For what ever reason, a pocket on a shirt now has the same visual akwardness as billowy sleeves. Plus, I rarely if ever need the function of the pocket. It has helped me regulate my spending on shirts, which is sort of a plus.

Comment

i don't mind it too much, as long as it's not oversized. unfortunately, it is too often too large, bigger than the size of your palm. it just makes your chest appear narrow, and a heavy visual burden.

Comment

In high school, some upperclassmen took it upon themselves to rip the pockets off the regulatory OCBDs as worn by freshmen. It was a hazing ritual that is likely continued to this day.

That said, I prefer pockets on OCBDs, while I typically opt for dress shirts without. I have no qualms with flap pockets on casual shirts worn on lazy fall afternoons. As others have stated, always resist the urge to populate said pockets with a writing utensil.

Comment

I got curious and did a google search for this topic specifically related to OCBDs. While searching I found a bit of historical info on the OCBD (one that really shouldn't have any bearing on how people feel about this issue, but interesting nonetheless). Apparently the original OCBD did not originally feature a pocket; it was only after waistcoats went out of fashion for a period that BB added the pocket.

As I think we're already starting to see in this thread, folks are split on this issue. Some seem to loath pockets, some love them and others simply don't care when it comes to casual shirts, sport shirts and OCBDs (which I realize can probably be lumped under the heading of casual shirts).

What people do seem to agree on (almost universally) is that pockets have no place on dress shirts. It's a shame that many of the manufacturers seem to find it appropriate and necessary, especially since dress shirt material often doesn't have the rugged self-healing fabric that OCBDs do; I would certainly hesitate to remove a pocket from a dress shirt. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X