Winter Grey suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Grey suit

I need some help in picking out a fall/winter suit. I really like the light, fitted grey suits. I find that sometimes the charcoal suits, being slim it doesn't pop the way a light shade of grey does.

I like the look of this guy here, what material is that? Anyone find a version that is a bit cheaper?

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/...yle-gq#slide=1

It doesn't have to be double breasted, just for an idea. Thanks for the help, suits are not my expertise.

It looks like wool flannel. Should be very warm. Not sure the best place to get one affordably though.

Comment

thanks, yeah it seems to be wool flannel. Also seems like it might be hard to find something that I'm not gonna have to drop a large amount on.

Any suggestions for a light winter grey suit, otherwise? I know it's early..but I like to think ahead (have several winter functions where I could use a new suit).

Suits that are best when fitted, as I am a slim dude at 6' and 155 on a good day.

Cheers guys.

Comment

Suitsupply.com Best suits you can buy for the money. Half or full canvas and start at $399.

Comment

Nice link Albert. The wool-silk fabric on this 3 piece is awesome: http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P3041/Suit?filter_27=728

To me, the lapel on that jacket looks a bit wide for the model's frame, it makes me think of The Prestige (the movie) for some reason...but I'm not sure that's a bad thing...

I think a gray suit with texture like that is amazing. Two years ago I went to a wedding where one guy had a three piece SB from Brook's Brothers with a texture just like that; I still haven't forgotten it. Neither has my wife come to think of it...

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

That's a wicked suit, and the prices aren't too shabby either. It wasn't what I was originally thinking of, but it really is different and sharp.

I think it might be a winner.

Comment

I was thinking SuitSupply too. I thought the only their top level suits were canvassed, but just checked the site and looks like that's not the case. I've heard very good things in general - only thing to be aware of is apparently many of their models have a pretty high button stance, so choose carefully.

Comment

I love that fabric, but check your measurements carefully. Can you make it to their Manhattan store? If so that would be a great option. My concern would be that it has real working buttons on the sleeves and that's not so easy to adjust if the sleeves are the wrong length. It also looks like it has a higher rise in the pants than I like, but that's just me.

Comment

I plan on going to the NYC store in November to buy a grey suit very similar to the Yacko posted. I'll post an AAR on here when I do.

Comment

@Jason, higher rise pants are a GOOD thing for trousers. I personally think men look better with pants that are closer to their natural waist, which is roughly 1.5" below the navel.

Comment

+ 100 to @ Alberts comment. Maybe my old school tastes, but i dont think low rise has any place in wearing a suit. your proporations always look off balance IMO

BTW that 3 piece is like DAMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                      I>0<I

Comment

Not low rise... mid rise like jeans. I don't want to go back to the 30's with high-rise trousers and have to talk at 100 words per minute like the movies from back then

Comment

What are H&M suits like? I don't have one in my home city, but thoughts?

http://www.hm.com/ca/product/95228?article=95228-A

Comment

I don't have one around me either; a couple weeks back I drove through the Dallas store and I thought I would stop in (nightmare). The jackets ran small for me, I usually wear 42 / 42L and I bought a 44R but it was in outwear not a suit.

As for that particular suit, I think it's too light for a winter suit and the texture doesn't seem to go with the color (to me). Personally I like this one better: http://www.hm.com/ca/product/95206?

$250 for a suit is pretty cheap though. Are you planning on taking a road trip?

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

No road trip, I was have family pick it up and ship to me. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba...so shopping here is pretty brutal. Anything suit related is in an way overpriced store, and much of their selection I find are boxy suits that are too business for me (i don't wear a suit at work, biz casual for me).

I was thinking the same thing with that h&m suit in terms of the darker grey as I posted the link. I'm still leaning towards the suit supply link though.

Question though, do people send in exact measurements, or do you always add a little extra. I would rather the suit be a touch long in the arms and get it tailored here, rather than it showing up and being too short in the arms. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X