Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help with a Name

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of developing a men's accessories website and I need help with the name of the site. I've been tossing around a few ideas and nothing has really jumped out at me, so I figured I would ask this great board for help. The focus of the site is quality, American made men's accessories. I'm having some really awesome (at least I think so) hand-made ties, and I just bought a decent amount of Horween leather for key fobs, etc. The site is also going to sell men's bags, style focused ipad and phone sleeves, and some men's grooming products as well. If I end up using the name that you suggest, I'll give you one of the ties for free. This is totally not spam, and I hope a few of you recognize my name contributing on the forum in other threads. This is a huge (and scary) step for me, and I just need some creative inspiration for the name. Thanks!

Target age group and style?

Comment

Men 22-39yo, style oriented but classic.

Comment

Maybe something involving your name or the name of your co-founders (if you have any). Initials come to mind. Maybe something about where you are from/where you are now and founding the site. A name that means something to you.

Comment

manssories!!

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
          -Maximus

Comment

Eyerman, that's already taken.

Jeremy, I agree with Teej's recommendation to use your name, initials, or the names and initials of the founders.

Comment

Those bastards.

What kind of bags? Are they Satchels? Or like weekend/duffle bags?

how about Indianajoneswearsone.com If not I think the name/initials is a good idea. Internet domains are so hard to think of now a days because there are so many.

What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
              -Maximus

Comment

I like "apparatus" as a synonym for "gear" or "stuff." Therefore, I suggest "Capital Apparatus." As far as I can tell, the domain is available.

Comment

what about something arbitrary like...

Harris & Sons or something Pseudo-heritage?

I've always loved/hated/coveted Brooks Brother's blog name "Of Rouges and Gentleman" as I have my own blog and am in the process of brainstorming a re-brand. I'm not saying swipe that name but what might help is browsing competitors, examples, brands you like, inspirational sites, etc to get the brain moving.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The bags are going to be somewhat similar to this one from makr http://makr.com/#product=standard-ca...rap-tote-green except with simple one color prints on them. Think a butcher's pig print in black on an olive bag. Also making some pocket squares and lapel pins.

@sigtweed. Agreed, I've been looking around for inspiration and I too covet/hate BB's blog of rogues and gentlemen.

Comment

Jeremy best of luck to you! Very awesome to strike out on your own. Do you have a background in this sort of thing or is this just a passion of yours?

When it comes to names, you want something simple that has some meaning to you. Something that establishes a "corporate origin story." Grandfather's name, a street you lived on? Something meaningful to you.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Do you have a logo yet? I don't know if you are waiting to come up with a name before you do the logo, but if you do already have a logo in mind, maybe something to do with the logo?

Comment

Those "This&That.com" names seem to be getting a lot of attention (i.e. frankandoak.com), so I am trying to come with something like that that incorporates the products I am selling.

@Teej. No logo yet. Waiting on the name to provide inspiration for that.

@Tom. I do own my own business in a VERY different industry, but I don't have any background other then having an interest in menswear. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time, and a couple months ago I came across a quote that said, "It's not about ideas, it's about making ideas happen." So I am making an idea happen.

Comment

A couple of tools that I've found helpful for names & domains:

Bustaname

Lean Domain Search

Good luck!

Comment

I might be contrarian, but if "_____ & _______" names are trending in menswear start-ups, that's probably not the route to go for a new menswear company. Makes it potentially harder to stand out, imo.

You can always try something descriptive of your content. So for an accessories store, maybe something like "The Big ETC," only way less corny than my own attempt :P

Comment

Working...
                              X