X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannon
    replied

@frost - I don't think I suggested that...

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied

sorry Greg... happens when you're passionate about a subject. I've said my peace.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

I find these threads to be highly annoying as they always degrade into the same thing. I recognize this one is civil, but let's try to stay somewhat on topic of what the OP was asking.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

I find these threads to be highly annoying as they always degrade into the same thing. I recognize this one is civil, but let's try to stay somewhat on topic of what the OP was asking.

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied

@Cannon: Of course my comments regarding Apple and its zombie followers anecdotal. Clearly we're at an impasse here, though I will say that your suggestion that my primary focus is based on deals over quality is quite inaccurate. I believe in using the best and most efficient product available to accomplish a given task. Personally, I find the interface to most Apple products rather Mickey Mouse, and indirect, but each person is entitled to their own preference. For the record, I own an Apple IIe, and NeXT machine for nostalgic purposes as I respect their places in computing history.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

@Juan - I think so long as the discussion doesn't get hostile like the iPhone 5, threads like this one don't get too hijacked,... and so long as threads are filed correctly in the forum categories (this one would belong in 'Other' or maybe 'Shoes, Accessories, Etc.' instead of 'Clothing', I think), then it should be fine to discuss tech brands on Threads.

Sure, for lots of discussions on tech, this place probably won't fit those needs, but we do like to chat off of the style charts now and then.

EDIT: Heck, in case you guys haven't noticed. Almost every thread I've started or posted in is actually about film, music, lifestyle, advice, or other non-clothing topics. I like to hear the Dappered community's man talk about these things and not necessarily trek to a forum intensely dedicated to one subject without wiggle room.

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

I actually posted the question here on purpose. I honestly don't think I'll get much out of a android/apple fanboy forum. I'm just not a smartphone nerd. I want to make an informed choice, but if I get into the tiny specs I'll never makes a decision. My current phone is 3.5 years old, which might as well be a chisel and tablet for smartphones. Anything would be an improvement.

I'm going to the store now hopefully I come back satisfied!

PS - that video was pretty helpful. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

@Cannon - I meant to move the Android vs iOS debate to another forum not another Dappered Thread. There are plenty of tech forums where you guys can discuss the merits of Android vs iOS. I realize that some of you guys are passionate about that topic, but this is not the place for that discussion. The same exact thing happened here when the iPhone 5 was introduced and the moderators had to lock the thread.

Leave a comment:

• jordan
    replied

It's the best phone on the market.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied

I'd say pick whatever device you want, guys. If you have an appreciation for Android and its release style, along with a device as praised as the GS III, go for it. I'd recommend the iPhone 5 to anyone, but I realize some people don't care for the brand or style. Just pick the one you want to use as long as it sounds like reliable quality.

I'll try and make this the last post mentioning Apple on my part. I don't think this conversation should spill into a new thread either. That just would promote heated debate, I think. Nonetheless, make that thread if you wish.

@frost - I think we each have different personal experiences with Apple owners. I really can't agree or even accurately conclude what the intellect of an average Apple user is, but your classification certainly sounds like opinion. Why do people need to justify to anyone else why they bought an Apple product? So what if they aren't intensive pros? Can't G-ma get it because she likes it and she finds it to be nicer than her current PC?

Your statements sound pretty generalized to me and disregards the simple fact that saying others are overspending is your opinion. I buy Apple, which obviously means the price is right for me. I've had PCs, various music players, and non-Apple phones. I don't want any of them back and I have never regretted the prices I've paid for my electronics. I like the design and experiences I get with those products. There's a lot more than material cost and OS specs to consider for me.

You justify the purchase of any product by liking it enough. Your perspective sounds like the logic of someone who values a deal and not a brand design. Apple products revolve around the opposite.

I don't get where you think there is marketing trickery about forward-thinking either. Mac and PC are well-known to be equally capable for the majority of the consumer market. Your average person talks about Apple's first-party apps because they like them more, not because they think no competitors have PC counterparts for photos, email, etc. Many people who buy Macs now are switching from PC, meaning they were likely well-aware of what they like to do with software and they just want to do it in the lauded Apple way because they like it.

Leave a comment:

• rags
    replied

The size of today's smartphones annoys me. I still front pocket my iphone 4 with looser-fitting pants. The back pocket is an option but not necessarily a better one. I almost feel as if I need to carry a bag or wear a jacket at all times just to bring my phone with me.

I'm in the market for a new phone too and the slimness of the iPhone 5 has put it in the lead. If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

Leave a comment:

• diversification
    replied

Good call Juan. The video I posted previously is a GS3 vs iPhone video, but the reason I posted it was to highlight some of the GS3's strengths.

@jose_jackson

Honestly the best advice I can give you is to make two posts: 1 in an Android forum and one in an iPhone forum.

In the Android forum ask something like "can someone please tell me the strengths and weaknesses on the GS3?" If you are considering any other Android phones (or the iPhone) ask for a comparison. Be aware that if you ask for a comparison to the iPhone, the iPhone assaulting Android fanboys will dominate the discussion.

In the iPhone forum, ask something like "I'm currently between the iPhone and the GS3, can you guys help me compare them? I realize this is an iPhone forum, but the more objective you guys can be the more helpful I'm going to find it. Thanks in advance." Here again, be prepared to see a lot of Android bashing and iPhone fanboying.

The goal here is to get help from some highly informed and experienced users. By asking about the phone you're considering in both camps you're sure to find out about both it's greatest strengths and weaknesses.

EDIT: I myself am an Android user, so I would recommend you make posts at AndroidForums, Rootzwiki, and possibly DroidForum. Those are the Android heavyweights that I always go to and are likely to have more active users as well as users of different Android devices. If you post in a dedicated GS3 forum you're going to get even more bias, so post in the general sections.

Perhaps someone can recommend a few iPhone forums?

Leave a comment:

• jicarv
    replied

I don't get how this thread turned into an Apple vs Android discussion when the OP was just looking for opinions on the Galaxy S3. I think you guys that are really passionate about the Android vs iOS debate should move that discussion to different forums.

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied

@Cannon: It's not the technologically inclined that are claiming Apple illustrates any kind of openness in their products. It's the non-technical folks who fall for their admittedly well-designed marketing strategies. Unfortunately I was not privy to the contents of the Iphone 5 thread.

30 years ago, during the infancy of software development geared towards creative professionals, many of the applications were written for the Apple platform and later ported to PC. Naturally, the software operated with a higher level of efficiency in the environment it was originally intended for, which gave Apple an early association with artisans and academia. Fortunately for Apple, that association has perpetuated itself into the present, promoting the idea that those who employ the use of Apple products are forward thinkers by default. The reality of the situation is that software development has evolved exponentially in the past few decades rendering the advantages that were realized in the past as obsolete. That's not to say that Apple does not develop extremely intuitive products for it's user base, merely that ownership of said device(s) does not equate to an ability to deliver enhanced creative solutions (as their marketing department would have one believe)

Regarding your question about how I got the impression people cannot see how strict Apple is with their products and design, I would think that was rather obvious. Your average Apple-fanatic has the intellect of your average Occupy Wall Street protester. Just as an average OWS protester can't quite articulate what they are protesting, the average Apple victim can't properly justify the reason for overspending on their macbook / iphone / ipad that's predominantly used to read email and browse for pr0n.

Bottom line, I have a problem with misinformed self-proclaimed experts in anything.

Leave a comment:

• BYC
    replied

I've had one for about half a year now, like it, and it is very fast. This is coming from a guy that is upgrading from the original Motorola Droid and has never had an iphone. If I could of waited for the iphone5 I would have, but that speaks more to the success of Apple's marketing than any real comparison of the phones.

Favorite thing: Large screen size, speed is never a problem.

Least favorite thing: It seems to have some software problem with the battery draining very quickly in areas with bad reception because the radio keeps trying to connect to 4G. It still astounds me how they haven't released an update to fix this, but an app called "Easy Battery Saver" has helped put an end to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X