Banana Republic and Sizing Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana Republic and Sizing Down

I usually wear a size small in things. When I get things from stores that I know have slim cuts, I usually fit into size smalls pretty well.

Banana Republic, as I have seen, runs on the large side when it comes to fit. Especially with things like sweaters. The solution, I have always been told, is to size down. But that is usually told to people who are buying things that are too big for them, in an effort to get them to dress better.

If Banana Republic sweaters, in a size small, don't fit me very well, should I really size down to an XS? To me that sounds a bit crazy. I am rather thin, and rather tall, but XS sounds a bit nuts. I would imagine it would be a bit on the short side if I do that too.

What am I to do?

Or do I just never even bother buying sweaters from BR despite the fact that I love how so many of them look...?

BR runs large with their sweaters and coats. I've tried sizing down to a XS with their sweaters and they are still loose in the torso. Jcrew is the same way. Express, for all its flaws, sells the slimmest fitting sweaters that I have found (the torso on the Express Small is narrower than the BR XS), and I have had no problems with pilling. The sweaters from BR and Jcrew, that I have owned, have fallen apart fairly quickly.

I simply just don't by sweaters from BR anymore.

Comment

Try Zara

Comment

Oddly enough, I have noticed this more and more over the years. I used to wear a large sweater but now I am starting to wear a medium. Same weight for the most part but I think I am a little more toned....if you ask me. hehe.

Comment

I wear a small in BR sweaters, and I don't fit the "small" mold from most manufacturers. I'm typically stuck wearing something that is borderline tight, vs. something that's excessively loose in the body.

Having a 10" drop between chest and waist almost always requires additional tailoring if I want something to fit well.

Comment

Working...
          X