Winter shoe suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter shoe suggestion?

Still a few months away, but I'll be traveling to Chicago for a week during the holiday. Usually I'll just pack a pair of Chucks, but I wouldn't mind wearing something a little nicer this year. Problem is, all my shoes have are either suede or have leather soles so I'm not about to wear them through the slush and snow of a midwest winter. Contemplated my Alden Indy's, but don't know if I want to risk damaging the leather (and don't feel like having to clean them up every time I get back inside).

That leaves my Chucks and a pair of desert boots. Other suggestions?

Thanks!

M

Not really winter shoes but the Stafford boots at JCP have a rubber sole and look pretty nice for $60.

Comment

I have these and love them in NYC in the winter:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/newsitem/18.php

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/3462.php

Comment

I've got Red Wing Beckman's for the winter, but that seems like a lot to spend just for the week.

I agree with putting the Alden's away. They won't be much better than leather for traction on ice.

Comment

I've been continuing my endless search for somewhat stylish snow boots. I live in Vermont and our winters can be downright arctic, so I need something insulated and very waterproof. But I'm also not interested in the duck-bill or moon boot Ugg styles that seem to be so ubiquitous these days. Any suggestion on something warm, dry, durable & stylish?

Comment

+1 for the JCP Staffords. They're rubber (or at the very least synthetic) soled and they're cheap so you won't be sick to your stomach if you damage them. I'm actually wearing mine today, and I've been liking them more than I thought I would.

Comment

JAH, my opinion here is divisive, I know. But with MN winters I just wear some decent looking but functional Columbia snow boots and change them. Don't get boots with those removable flannel liners (like a lot of Sorels). They disintegrate.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot I had a pair of boots from BR which are similar to the JCP boots posted. Suppose I can pack them and the Clarks.

Comment

"Don't get boots with those removable flannel liners (like a lot of Sorels). They disintegrate."

But they're easily replaceable. That's the point. My Sorels are 34 years old this winter (from back when they were made by Kaufmann), and with new liners two years ago, they're perfect. But I don't wear them to work except during an actual snowstorm, and in that case I change shoes when I get there. In fact, I'll be wearing them in Vermont in a few months if the weather requires them. Probably Minneapolis, too.

Blizzards warrant deviation from style standards. If you live in where snowstorms are a part of winter, you dress well and park extremely close to your house and place of work, or you choose boots for function over style sometimes, or your nice shoes get ruined. I think those are the principle options available.

A compromise is to get waterproof rubber-soled boots with a certain amount of style, but in actual northern winter, the hems of your trousers are assaulted with snow and road salt anyway; it's not just about the shoes. I think in some cases you have to choose between living in a northern climate, and moving south to avoid wearing winter gear. I'm a northerner, and I love winter almost exactly as much as I love summer.

Comment

@cause, fair enough. I just don't like them nor do I find them warm enough. Though I live in a bit of an extreme climate. I forget the model, I can look when I get home but I swear by my Columbias. Also, not good for commuting or anything but for serious weather, nothing beats the old military issued bunny boots if you can find real ones.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bunny+boots&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=i sch&sa=X&ei=01WJULjWKYyo8ATgr4CABQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ &biw=320&bih=416&surl=1#p=0

Anyways, I suppose I digress

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                    X