Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White soles on boots

Is this look here to stay?

It's really grown on me in the last few months, and I'm starting to like the idea of some AE Eagle County or Red Wing Classic Mocs.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Wing-Shoes-Classic-Moc/dp/B0032UYKXI

I'm just not sure if it's going to be a look that's in it for the long haul (i.e. something that won't seem dated in a few years). What's Dappered's take?

Probably trendy and will look dated in a few years. But so what? If you like the way they look get 'em and you'll enjoy wearing them now. As long as you buy a quality goodyear welted boot like the two you linked to, you'll probably need to have them resoled in a few years and you can put whatever soles you want on them when that time comes.

Comment

Those likely won't stay too white for too long. I say rock it for now, and then wash less later in their life . Also what fred said.

Comment

Never understood the white sole thing. After a few wears, it looks like you're wearing the world's dirtiest kitchen sponge on your feet.

Comment

I really dislike this trend. Also the weird chunky sole in general.

Comment

@LosRockets

Yeah I'm not a fan of a really chunky sole either (the Red Wings are borderline IMO), but I'm also looking at casual boots, and don't really see the point in them if the can't take a little wet weather (looking at you, leather-soled boots).

Honestly, if they made the Eagle County with a black rubber sole I wouldn't have even started this thread. But nonetheless, there's still a part of me that is intrigued with white. The consensus so far seems to be that white is indeed a trend though, which is confirming my suspicions.

Comment

What are these boots for? Bar/casual city wear or potentially roughing it in the great outdoors?

Comment

I just picked this up for $59 at jackthreads, pretty comfy and I like the look. Might be a good option to consider.

http://www.jackthreads.com/sales/8136/products/61716

Comment

Deke - I've been drooling over a pair of moc toe red wings for quite some time. Boots with a leather sole don't appeal to me either, as I need something for snow and rain.

For what it's worth, I think this is a classic look, and while the trend may change, the style will remain. Furthermore, a quality product will always be worth the purchase in my opinion.

Comment

@LosRockets

Can it be a little of both?

I'm not expecting any hardcore hiking in them, but I also don't want to be worried about them if it's pouring outside (or the once a year it snows here).

@JEH

The moc toes have definitely been gaining ground in my mind. Whenever I see someone wearing them lately I always find myself liking the look.

How long have white soled boots been around? Is it a fairly recent thing? Or has Red Wing been doing it for ages?

Comment

The white crepe-soled work boot is a classic workwear style, worn by plumbers, electricians, and other indoor tradesmen. The white sole provides good traction on a variety of surfaces, but won't mark or scratch floors the way standard work boots do. I'm not sure on the exact history, but the style is not new.

After a few wears, the soles will lose their optical white appearance and turn a dull greyish-beige. To me, it doesn't look "dirty" so much as "broken in" like a good pair of jeans.

The style has been around for a while - whether it remains trendy, of course, is anyone's guess. Workwear is experiencing a bit of an urban revival these days, but who knows how long it will last.

Ben

Comment

Worn by farmers as well. The tread of the crepe soles was designed to reduce mud clinging to to farmers working in the fields, while still providing comfort required by those on their feet all day.

Comment

I wouldn't call this a trend by any means. White, well, off-white, soles have been on boots for a long ass time. My dad has Redbacks and Trickers boots with off-white soles. The Redbacks are from the early 80's and Trickers are from the 1965 (they were his "work boots" and he's had them ever since).

Personally. THESE RIGHT HERE ---> http://shop.kithnyc.com/products/fred-v-brown

are like the grail to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X