Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to store sweaters? is it ok to hang them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbrown
    replied

Fold them. They're knitted and unlikely to wrinkle unless you do something really bizzare.

I keep mine stacked on cedar shelves that I built in my closet (great DIY project, by the way. For under $50 you'll have something beautiful and useful.

Leave a comment:

• glen_delossantos
    replied

I never hang mine, regardless of the weight. I think you're better off folding and stacking if you can.

Leave a comment:

• Cause Moe
    replied

I learned the hard way. Definitely don't hang them by the shoulders, the ordinary hanger way. Not only do the body and sleeves stretch, but it's also really hard on the shoulders.

Hornsup's hanging method may be better, but I haven't tried it. Sweaters are awkward to store, but I think you have to live with it. I use the big sizes of ziplock bags, big enough to hold them folded. It's a pain in the butt, but I find it's better than simply stacking them on the shelf folded without the bag. Especially when I want the one on the bottom. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of sweaters, but a few of them are favorites that I'd hate to damage.

I cut some breather holes in the bags before using them, because I think the sweaters should breathe. I have no facts to back up that idea. It also helps to have holes to allow the air out to keep the bags from being balloons on the shelf.

It's not convenient, but it's the best solution I've found. I may try the hornsup method, although I have enough shelf space and not enough closet rod space, since I tend to hang T-shirts and henleys. That's because I'm short on drawer space. There's always a tradeoff for anyone without an enormous walk-in closet!

Things are better since my recent purge of lesser-used clothing, but of course, now I'm buying more stuff, sport shirts, an MTM blazer in the works, and more shoes. Oh, the tribulations of a well dressed gentleman!

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

@justin -- fair point, all my sweaters are on the lightweight end of the spectrum.

Leave a comment:

• justin t
    replied

I never hang them. I made that mistake with my first 2 sweaters and they are stretched out in the shoulders where the hanger was. Sweaters stretch very easily so when the bulk weight of the sweater hangs from one point, it stretches at that point.

@hornsup84 that's not a bad idea. that should definitely cut down on stretching since it spreads the weight more evenly. I wouldn't recommend it for heavier sweaters though.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied

Not ideal for space reasons, but I tend to fold them over the bottom bar of hangers (i.e., essentially fold as if you were laying them in a drawer/shelf, but then hang the "last fold" over the bar).

Leave a comment:

• LosRockets
    replied

Don't hang them. Currently mine are folded in a large suitcase w/ some cedar to keep the bugs away ... but when I had shelving they were on the shelves (redoing closet).

Leave a comment:

• ooze3
    started a topic how to store sweaters? is it ok to hang them?

how to store sweaters? is it ok to hang them?

i read somewhere that hanging sweaters messes them up. how do you recommend storing them? i ahve a dresser drawer full of them but its a hassle and the drawer kind of overflows. i found some hangers specifically made for sweaters but they cost $75 (http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/...r-hangers.html)

anyhow just wanted to see if you guys hang sweaters, if there's anything special to do with them? im looking for easy storage now that its getting cold again. the majority of my sweaters are merino, with 1 or 2 cashmere sweaters.

Working...
X