V-Neck Sweater Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-Neck Sweater Suggestions

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on v-neck sweaters that aren't from JCrew or Banana Republic -- I feel like the material they use at both of those retailers is too thin and the necks always seem super wide. I'm looking for the most basic of v-necks: fits well in a reasonably tailored way, has a neck that nicely grips the collar from your button down (not too tight or too wide), and has a bit of substance to it (not like the thin merino fabrics used @ JCrew and BR). Basically I'm looking for the most unassuming classic v-neck sweater available that won't fall apart immediately. Thanks for any suggestions!

Look at Express V Necks. Wait for a sale. You can do very well. They come in slim and regular fit (I have one of both — the slim is quite slim, while the regular fits well. I love them both) The material is thicker than my three J Crew factory sweaters.

Comment

I'm loving the BR extra-fine merino sweaters. They've been sending me a one item 40% off coupon every week, and I'm buying one sweater at a time. Buying online means you can get the tall sizes if that's what you need. I'm 6'2" and 195 and finding the Mediums to be great. And the wool feels great to the touch.

Comment

I second Express v-neck sweaters. Even the regular cut is quite slim, and the new slim cut ones sold online are great. The one thing Express does well is make great sweaters. I have bought approximately 15 various sweaters from them, and they have held up surprisingly well.

I mus say that I have had bad experiences with sweaters from BR and Jcrew. The sweaters from both stores are baggy (the XS from both brands is larger in the torso area than the Express small) and they started pilling after only one season of wear.

But wait for a buy get one 1/2 sell, and combine than with their coupons.

Comment

I never would have guessed Express but I will definitely check them out -- thanks!

Comment

I'm thankful you posted this because I've had the same dilemma! I do own some J. Crew cotton-cashmere sweaters that I really like as well as Express v-necks... I have to say, I usually can't stand Express but the sweater has held up excellently. I'm 6'3, 185 and even the large normal fit is a pretty good fit - I think I'll go for the slim next time.

For the people laying on the negatives for BR: what specifically is so bad about them? I was thinking about picking up a few with the codes I get all the time...

Comment

I'd also be curious if anyone has experience with Uniqlo sweaters (since their online store is opening):

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=072551

Comment

aglass,

Uniqlo sweaters are solid quality, but they're not cut quite right for me at least. I'm 5'11, 190 and the sleeves are a bit too long while the body is boxy.

Super skeptical about Express, but the positive reviews mean I'll be giving them a shot today.

Comment

Hm may have to dig up one of those express $25 off $50 coupons they staple to all the receipts.

Comment

@aglass. BR sweaters (and their winter wear in general) is cut very boxy, especially in the torso/waist area. I have actually lad an express small v-neck sweater on top of a BR XS, and the BR stomach has a extra 2 inches in the torso area.

Also, I have had problems with BR (and Jcrew) not just holding up well. The last one seaons and are done.

Comment

others option people have talked about here include jc penney and target brands, for only around $20.

Comment

I mean no offense to anyone who likes the Uniqlo sweater in the link, but that is an excellent example of what I'm hoping to avoid. The fine merino fabrics feel almost jersey-like to me -- I'd prefer more of a traditional wool feel without being too thick or bulky. The neck is also quite long and vaguely rounded/U-shaped. I'm hoping to find a neck that grips the button-down collar well, doesn't show a lot of the shirt behind or around the collar, but obviously isn't ridiculously tight. The Uniqlo sweater looks very similar to the JCrew & BR ones that haven't worked out for me in the past.

I'm a little wary of their durability given my past experience, but this JCrew sweater is actually pretty close to what I'm looking for: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...6252/16252.jsp

Comment

This thread surprises me. I had 3 crew neck from Express about 4 years ago. They pilled quickly, were the fuzziest darn things i've ever seen, and the fit got all sorts of weird after a couple months of occasional use.

Comment

Working...
                          X