Off the rack slim fit dress shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off the rack slim fit dress shirts

Hey guys. Been working for about six weeks now at a place where I need to wear a suit every day. Doing so I realized I'm woefully low on plan white dress shirts. I used to use BR slim fit shirts, but I've found that they are still a bit loose for my tastes and the price. And I know folks around here like the 1MX shirts from Express, but I've had some bad experiences with them just falling apart or outright losing there shape, so I won't shop there any more.

Anyone recommend a good place to get off the rack slim fit shirts? Or am I just gonna have to suck it up and get what I buy tailored? Thanks fellas.

i don't know how skinny you are, but i've had a lot of success with TM Lewin shirts. i think their john francombe line is slimmer than their slim fit.

i'm a 38r/small, and a slim fit 15.5 is fine on me. it's not super fitted by any means, but it's not sloppy in the least.

Comment

I am a big Charles Thyrwhitt fan. If you are really skinny get the extra slim fit. They do shrink the in the wash, but they fit perfectly. Plain white twill, non-iron in barrell cuff. The quality is impeccable. You have 6 months to return if you don't like, even after you've worn or washed.

Comment

I have both TM Lewin Fully Fitted and Charles Tyrwhitt Tailored (now named Extra Slim or something like that). I go with the 16.5" neck and the 36" sleeve for both. I don't have any plain white or blue poplin, twill, etc shirts from either, so I can't comment on those, but I can give you a fit comparison.

The TM Lewins are slimmer through the chest, waist, and arms. The necks on the CTs seemed to be a bit closer and they're definitely thinner at the wrists (surprising given CTs arms are slimmer). Another thing I preferred about the TMLs was the lack of back darts (the CTs had them yet they were more fully cut...). The quality is comparable.

My overall feeling on the shirts is that they're a good first step towards better quality. If you go to a menswear store with a TML or CT and then compare to a $100+ shirt, you're going to immediately notice a difference in fabric and probably some difference in the collar, cuffs and construction. However, if you take a TML/CT to Macy's, Express, etc and compare them to those shirts, you'll notice similar differences in favor of the TML/CT.

The bottom line is this: if you're going to shop in the $35 - $60 shirt range, TML and CT are probably two of the best picks. I don't have much experience with more expensive shirts because frankly I'm trying to completely upgrade my wardrobe and money is tight. Hope this helps.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Definitely helps all around. I think I'll test them both out and see what happens. There's a CT down the street from work so that's an easy return if necessary.

Really appreciate the comments and reviews. I'm a fairly slim guy, 6'2, 195, 15.5 neck, 34 sleeve, athletic build, barest bit o' belly at the midsection. So sounds like either of these brands could do the trick.

Comment

What are your chest and waist measurements? I'm 6'1" tall, 180 lbs, 16.5" neck, 42" to 41" chest, 35" waist & 36" sleeve. I could stand to have the TML taken in about 3 - 4" in the chest and waist without it being tight. I wouldn't consider myself athletic, just slim...

If you want something that fits very close to your body, you're probably going to be looking at taking in the waist no matter what you get if you're truly athletic fit (8" drop or more).

I think you'll probably end up lucking out with the chest sizing though since your neck is a bit smaller than mine.

My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Start out with the extra slim fits and work your way to fuller cuts. It's the best way to get a feel for what you like. Didn't expect to look good in a CT Extra Slim Fit but I really do!

Comment

I've found that Gap slim fit, non iron dress shirts are surprisingly awesome. Good range of patterns and colors and with a 30-40% off sale which happens almost every week, they are a pretty tremendous value at around $35.

"Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I have similar measurements to diversification and usually wear a 16-1/2 34/35.

For me, Neiman Marcus / lastcall.com has the best shirt for the money - just search for Trim Fit. With 40% off sales you can snag it for about $33. I think the Charles Tyrwhitt tailored fit fits a bit more loosely but the fabric is nicer. I haven't tried the gap slim fit shirts; I didn't know they came in dress shirt sizes.

Awhile back I posted some pictures of some popular off the rack shirts on top of each other if you need more comparisons:

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/ch...-buy#post-6140

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I've been pretty happy with the Neiman Marcus trim fit shirts from Last Call too. I do wish that (a) the chest pocket was a little smaller and that (b) the arms were trimmer. The quality of the material is top-notch though. Oh yeah, one more thing -- the collar stays are HUGE, and the slots for them are too big for normal ones.

If someone would make an inexpensive dress shirt that fits like JCP's button downs, I'd be a happy man. Too bad that JCP's dress shirt doesn't share the fit, according to Joe.

Comment

on the cheaper end, try brands like DKNY,CK,Geoffrey Beene,Kenneth Cole and Tommy Hilfiger. Get the fitted, that's slimmer than the slim fit. I don't know how their fit compared to the ones mentioned above, but do give them a try. They go for around $20 at TJ Maxx, Burlington and such stores.

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/an...lim-fit-shirts

Comment

First time poster!

From recent experience, I like the fit from Nordstrom Rack Trim Fit and Calibrate. Fit well OTR. So far, they are my favorite shirt for better than average quality, nice OTR fit, and decent price at Nordstrom rack (last shirts I got were $24.99)

I gave Charles Tyrwhitt a try and while I like the quality of the shirt, the extra slim fit still fit a bit wide at the waist. And maybe it was just the shirt I ordered, but the next (15.5") fit really snug. Love that they include collar stays. Hate that it took a month to receive!

For some reason I keep purchasing (online) BR tailored fit/slim fit shirts thinking they will be slimmer, but they still fit like blankets. But the quality is decent for everyday wear and add a couple bucks for tailoring and they're great value during the Wed/Thurs coupon stacking days.

On the low end for cheap beater shirts, I like the fit of Bar III slim/extra slim shirts from Macy's. During sales, I have found them as low as $11! IMHO, I'll take these shirts over the 1MX shirts anyday.

Comment

In another thread someone mentioned Spier and Mackay www.spierandmackay.com and said that they were curious about them. The site certainly is intriguing. It touts stuff like pattern matching and seems to compare their quality to that of $150 shirts (though they don't say it outright). I had never even heard of that place till the other member mentioned it, so this is certainly not an endorsement. I'll probably search around the web at some point to see if I can find some folks with experience there. It seems to have potential IMO, so hopefully my impressions turn out to be correct.

Comment

Brooks Brothers. Wait for the sales and stock up.

Comment

I used to be a BR (Non-Iron) Slim Fit guy, but also am finding them to be too baggy nowadays. I've had my tailor put two darts in the back of some of the baggiest ones, but this is not ideal. Their newer Tailored Fit, however, is pretty much perfect for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X