Need help choosing my first suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help choosing my first suit

I need to take the plunge and buy my first suit. I have two weddings to attend next March and June (my first ones believe it or not). I am also starting law school next August. I need something that will look great, fit great, and work at social events as well as interviews. I am leaning heavily towards navy as of right now and the budget I would like to stay in is $500 (hopefully with tailoring included in that estimate). What should I be looking at? I am weary of ordering something online that I have not tried on before because so far it has been incredibly hard for me to find jackets that fit. Thanks guys.

For a good first suit, I would recommend the Bar III line from Macy's. Slim fit, moderately high armholes, and not much shoulder padding. The suits can be bought in the mind $200 range.

With respect to fit, the most important thing is that shoulders fit. Followed by high armholes and miminal shoulder padding. I would encourage you stay away from stores like Men's Wearhouse and Jos A Bank. Macy's sells several lines that are good for a first suit such as Calvin Klein, Tommy, and the aforementioned Bar III.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The Bar III suits I'm seeing have peak lapels, is that a deal killer for a first suit?

Comment

When is a good time to buy the BarIII? How low will they go? I don't need a suit for awhile, and I see sales there frequently, but what would be a price I should jump at?

Comment

I'd look into the J Crew factory suits in charcoal. You can get it for around $200 (or less if you wait for the best sales), fits very well, and is as good as anything else normally available in the sub-$500 price point.

Either charcoal or navy are solid options for your first suit. I prefer notch lapels but a peak could work as long as it isn't too aggressive. It'd also help to know your specs (height, weight, suit size, etc) before we can give too many recommendations.

Comment

Here are two notch lapel Bar III's: slim fit and extra slim fit

Comment

What's your size?

Comment

I took my own measurements and did the black lapel route, you could have a tailor do it for a fee.

Comment

@lakecharles, I would say $220-240 range is a fair price for Bar III. I wouldn't say that peak lapels are a deal breaker, but some guys don't like them. The peak lapels on the Bar III line are subtle and professional.

I would avoid dropping $500 on your first suit. If its your first suit, you likely don't have a good idea what style and fit you like, so you don't want to waste money on something you won't wear 6 months later. However, you also don't want to buy a cheap looking suit. Something in the $200-$300 range is a good first suit purchase.

Comment

Pretty sure its tough to beat a Suit Supply Napoli cut suit in Navy for under 500.

Joe reviewed the suit here earlier this year: http://dappered.com/2012/01/suit-sup...the-in-person/

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a 41.5-42 inch chest, 32 inch waist, am 6'1" and weigh 192 lbs. I have only tried on a handful of blazers and ranged from a 40-42, but I would image I may require a Long also. Can I try the J. Crew factory suits on anywhere in person? Maybe an outlet?

Comment

Also don't rely on the salesmen, oftentimes they recommend suits that are too large or boxy.

Check out these links for guides of how a suit should fit.

http://dappered.com/2011/02/the-suit...riority-guide/

http://www.primermagazine.com/2011/s...a-visual-guide

http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/suit-fit-0708

Comment

@Dangle - You can try the Factory suits at an outlet.

Comment

go to a macy's and try on their brands, they are modern looking and affordable, so low risk for first-time suit buyers.they are on different types of sale all the time, the price difference is not big.

Comment

Dangle: You're going to want to go +2 more than your chest size, so you should be looking at a 44, I think. Since this is your first suit, if you wanted a really, really, really good one, I could proxy you a Brooks Brothers like the one I posted in the thrift thread (price tag only) for below your price range.

But I think they only had a 42 R in a gray with light blue pinstripe and a 44 short in solid gray(?). The only Long I saw was a 54.

Comment

Working...
                              X