• Show
Clear All

• LosRockets
    replied

Really liked this post! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• JT10000
    replied

Also Banana Republic has a lot of 3" ties. Quality seems a little higher than the Tie Bar. Price is 2-4X higher.

Leave a comment:

• Teej
    replied

@zerostyle: cjl is right. that's where I get mine from. You might also try JCP. They have affordable silk ties.

Leave a comment:

• scrambledpotato
    replied

*opens door*

Just want to say, this was hilarious

*nods a salute and leaves*

Leave a comment:

• jonATL
    replied

Hey, do I know you? I'm a editor in the field.

Leave a comment:

• Eyerman
    replied

My ties are 2' but I am only 5'5" 140. So they work well with my frame. And being 23 I am shaking my head with the unbuttoned shirt, no tie, frayed jean wearing, frat thinking guys. My work is business casual, and the guys (no matter what age) here dress terrible. I saw a guy yesterday, who by the way has the biggest stomach I have ever seen, wear a shirt too small. The bottom of his stomach was showing, and you could see it plain as day. And not in a stretch upwords and the shirt lifts up way.I wear a shirt and tie everyday. There are only maybe 5 out of 100 guys here that actually dress somewhat decent. Its a shame.

Leave a comment:

• cjl
    replied

@zerostyle: Tie Bar ties are all $15 (you can sort them by width).

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied

@Teej: Best place to buy affordable 3" ties? That seems to be the best width for me. 3.25-3.5" looks a bit big, but I feel 2.5" is too skinny.

Leave a comment:

• Teej
    replied

Not surprised that the Italians and Brits were so well dressed. Sometimes you just can't beat them, it's in their blood. I'm sure you made a good case for America though.

I've considered getting a tassel loafer, but it's only something that I would wear casually, not with a suit or to a business meeting.

For me, the skinny ties work. I am not exactly super slim but I am by no means heavy. I don't go with the crazy skinny ties. I stick to 3" or 2.5".

Leave a comment:

• Sigtweed Corduroy
    replied

Older gentlemen, I'll give them a pass. Younger gents (IE those in #13), that's the worst.

Leave a comment:

• onerany
    replied

You don't realize how much you love wearing sneakers with formal clothes until you've had to stand for entire days at a time...

Leave a comment:

• DrBenji
    replied

The skinny tie will never die. For those of us too slight for table-cloth sized ties, now that they're an option they're not going away.

Leave a comment:

• BYC
    replied

Yes, engineers are definitely not style gurus. In fact, some of the best engineers I know are the worst dressed.

Leave a comment:

• DH
    replied

Good guess, but I work for the other large Canadian aviation company

Leave a comment:

• Kittiwake30
    replied

Yeah, it's a very nuts and bolts industy that runs counter to the supposed "glamour" of aviation. The guys who really make the the industry fly usually have grease in the lines of their knuckles.

Anyone with the brains and commitment required to become an engineer of any type gets forgiven for not being a pillar of style.

Any chance you can get me an employee discount on the Learjet 75?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X